Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Anyone going through Rolex withdrawal?

I have been wearing an automatic watch for the last 17 years. I own both an omega Seamaster professional and a Rolex date just.

I love my new Apple Watch. The messaging and phone notification is perfect for my work. I can now leave my phone safely on vibrate all the time. My job requires my being available 24/7.

However I am going through Rolex withdrawal! I miss the weight and the quality feel of both the Rolex and the Omega.

Anyone else?

iWot

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
The ultimate first world problem :)

That being said, I would love to own a Rolex.

WatchAddict

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Yes I totally know what you mean. It's kind of sad as we get more and more used to having notifications on our wrists we will wear our good watches less and less often.

Eric5964

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Southeast Michigan

I have been wearing an automatic watch for the last 17 years. I own both an omega Seamaster professional and a Rolex date just.

I love my new Apple Watch. The messaging and phone notification is perfect for my work. I can now leave my phone safely on vibrate all the time. My job requires my being available 24/7.

However I am going through Rolex withdrawal! I miss the weight and the quality feel of both the Rolex and the Omega.

Anyone else?

I understand where you are coming from, but I love the AW! What to do!?

EricE

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Not there yet. My Apple watch has not yet arrived. I have 2 Rolexes that I normally wear. I'll still be alternating watches.... :cool:

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
As smart watches become non-optional, I really think people will start the one-per-wrist thing. ... But don't start that just yet ;)

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Yes I totally know what you mean. It's kind of sad as we get more and more used to having notifications on our wrists we will wear our good watches less and less often.

Why would needing to get notification mean wearing "good" watches less? Are you implying that the AppleWatch isn't a "good" watch?
I disagree. The AW is way better looking and more cost efficient then any Rolex.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
So it's not just me

I wear mechanical watches and said to myself the AW will not replace my traditional watches but will merely be part of the rotation. For days when the Giants have day games that I want to monitor while at work, wear while working. So far I've worn the AW Sport everyday and today my SS Milanese loop will be delivered.

My mechanicals (Rolex, Omega, Breitling and Nomos) are hibernating right now...will not last long..I hope.

WatchAddict

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Why would needing to get notification mean wearing "good" watches less? Are you implying that the AppleWatch isn't a "good" watch?
I disagree. The AW is way better looking and more cost efficient then any Rolex.

Many of us appreciate the craftmanship of a handmade automatic watch. It's just not the same with a Apple watch...their very nice, but still very machine made in China.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I wear a Citizen EcoDrive daily--it was a gift from my wife several years ago. Though I have really put some wear and tear on it, I love it to death.

My Apple Watch is set to arrive sometime in the next few days (preparing to ship now) and I have to wonder if I'm going to miss my Citizen watch. But then I remembered wondering the same thing when I got an iPad. 2 months later I realized I hadn't taken my laptop out of its bag in weeks, and in fact hadn't even THOUGHT about my laptop since receiving my iPad. I sold the laptop to the highest bidder and haven't felt the need for it since.

But I don't know---watches are different. I have a personal history with this watch. It was supposed to be a birthday gift, but my wife ended up giving it to me early to wear to her grandmother's wake. (Her grandmother had always joked she wanted everyone to look nice at her funeral and wanted everyone to cry, even if it meant they had to bring onions to fake it.)

I have worn it every day since, and it often reminds me of that time in my life. These are the kinds of things that attach themselves to watches like no other device you own. I feel the same way about pocket knives. It remains to be seen if that happens with my Apple Watch.

Snowkarver

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
An Explorer 2 has been my go-to watch for almost 20 years, and honestly, I've always found it ever so slightly too large and heavy as I'm quite small-framed.

I notice from your signature that you bought an AWS. I originally ordered one as well, but it got caught up in the Space Gray fiasco and didn't look like it would ever ship, so I switched to a Stainless/Sport Band model. I'm glad I did. Regardless of what one thinks of the price/value ratio, it does feel significantly more substantial on the wrist than the Sport, and there's definitely something familiar about the steel case.

If you really do miss the feel of a fine wristwatch, maybe you could check out the SS ones for a couple hundred more. I'd say that going this route has significantly lessened "Rolex Withdrawal" It's not the same, but it feels a lot closer when you're not looking at it. :D

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
No withdrawals yet....I haven't received either on the 2 AW I ordered!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 374

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I'm very interested in this topic and everyones experiences.

My fiancé wants to get me a Rolex as a wedding gift soon but I now question the "timeless" quality that made buying a rolex make sense. I'm planning on getting an apple sport watch just for working out, running and excercising (like i would use a g-shock) but I'm afraid once I use it, I will get accustom to the features and wonder how I ever got by without it and in turn leaving mechanical watches in the rearview mirror. I wanted to get a 2015 submariner model to signify the year we get married so waiting is less of an option. I guess I could use the Apple watch for 4 or 5 months and then make a decision. Any advice?

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I have a Rolex Yacht Master (which I wore the majority of the time) and a GMT Master II.

I don't like the idea of having those two awesome watches sitting in my drawer. But I'm not having withdrawals at all. I'm loving the Apple Watch and every day it seems I learn something new about it or just marvel at how convenient it is.

Calendar alerts, quick text replies, silencing phone calls from unwanted callers, etc. All very cool. And yesterday I coached soccer for 90 minutes and it was nice to see how high I kept my average heart rate by doing the drills and scrimmaging with the team.

Love it.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I'm very interested in this topic and everyones experiences.

My fiancé wants to get me a Rolex as a wedding gift soon but I now question the "timeless" quality that made buying a rolex make sense. I'm planning on getting an apple sport watch just for working out, running and excercising (like i would use a g-shock) but I'm afraid once I use it, I will get accustom to the features and wonder how I ever got by without it and in turn leaving mechanical watches in the rearview mirror. I wanted to get a 2015 submariner model to signify the year we get married so waiting is less of an option. I guess I could use the Apple watch for 4 or 5 months and then make a decision. Any advice?

My advice is that you can always get a different family heirloom if that's what you are going for. Like a Mont Blanc pen, or something.

I have a tough time seeing people alternate between an Apple Watch and and a mechanical watch. Once people get accustomed to Apple Watch, I bet they will come to rely on its usefulness, as mentioned in the OP.

I don't know, i've never been a watch guy, but buying an Apple Watch definitely has me looking at all of them. But I only want to wear one, and that is, the Apple Watch.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011

Anyone else?

Count me in. Second day in w the AW and getting adjusted but miss the weight and feel in particular of a nice automatic.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
A $500 watch is more useful than a $30,000 watch.

That really tells you something.

MarcW

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Maryland/DC
Not Rolex for me, but IWC, Panerai, Omega, Hanhart, Dornbluth, and Sinn. I've been wearing and appreciating mechanical watches since 1999. The AW is a big change, partly because it doesn't really fit the rotation model (you want to have it with you every day). It's also much less fun to look at since it's usually a black screen, and even when the watch face is lit it's one-dimensional and not nearly the experience of regular watches, not to mention there's not the same degree of case work to admire. And, being stuck with one strap for who-knows-how-long doesn't help either. While I have thoughts of starting to sell off part (not all) of my watch collection, I'm going to hold off for a while.

I like the AW, I'm eager to be a part of it's evolution from this 1.0 version, but I do feel a bit guilty not giving any wrist time to my mechanicals since last Friday. Maybe I will find a way to rotate at least a little bit.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Not Rolex for me, but IWC, Panerai, Omega, Hanhart, Dornbluth, and Sinn. I've been wearing and appreciating mechanical watches since 1999. The AW is a big change, partly because it doesn't really fit the rotation model (you want to have it with you every day). It's also much less fun to look at since it's usually a black screen, and even when the watch face is lit it's one-dimensional and not nearly the experience of regular watches, not to mention there's not the same degree of case work to admire. And, being stuck with one strap for who-knows-how-long doesn't help either. While I have thoughts of starting to sell off part (not all) of my watch collection, I'm going to hold off for a while.

I like the AW, I'm eager to be a part of it's evolution from this 1.0 version, but I do feel a bit guilty not giving any wrist time to my mechanicals since last Friday. Maybe I will find a way to rotate at least a little bit.

Sadly, you won't. Even if you think about giving it wrist time for dinner nights, you would just feel the withdrawal from all the other notifications and stuff you care. All the mechanical watch will do is just sit there and give you the time.

Even if you think about going out for a party, you'd want to wear the Apple Watch; otherwise, you're outdated.

I think at this point, this is where the horse carriages vs cars comparison is appropriate. You might want to try the horse carriage for a romantic stroll, but after that, you're going to go back to your car.

But with that said, I still have my Casio G-Shock. For time when I'm swimming or more active events.

Last edited:

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
I miss my Timex Expedition. I'd had it for years and it died right before Christmas.

It cost me $19.99. :cool:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Count me in. Second day in w the AW and getting adjusted but miss the weight and feel in particular of a nice automatic.

Here's the big difference for me ... in order to work properly the Watch has to be strapped on very tightly and I didn't particularly care for the way the link bracelet felt fastened that tightly on my wrist. Count me in the category of those who wear their Rolex slightly loose with a little sliding permitted up and down the wrist, but not so much that it would rotate around the wrist.

I will really miss that.

Tommyoc01

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Love my rolex submariner. Not sure how it's going to rotate with my AW when it comes (hopefully tomorrow fingers crossed).

When I told my friends I was getting an AW, they said "you're going to give wearing your rolex for a $400 Apple watch?"

and i replied "Yup I guess so!".

I'm sure I'll find a different use or occasion for each one as either way I always have a watch on my wrist!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.