Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Want iPad to continue to be a high utilization device with increasing sales?

Create a PRO model with PRO OS! Shared file repository, file management, multiple display multitasking, USB connection, etc.

Who's with me?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
...Create a PRO model with PRO OS! Shared file repository, file management, multiple display multitasking, USB connection, etc.

I think this is an interesting take. Not the iPhone IOS, and not a touch version of OS X.
There are a multitude of operating system features that could be added to more robust hardware. And giving the consumer an opportunity to get those added features would likely add to increased sales in the short run.
Long term, iPad users need to have feature-rich reasons to update on a more regular basis, both in terms of software and hardware.
And at what point does the more robust iPad cannibalize from laptop sales?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

Create a PRO model with PRO OS! Shared file repository, file management, multiple display multitasking, USB connection, etc.

Who's with me?

Yeah its called OS X.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011

Who's with me?

What an awesome idea!

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
This will never happen. Windows 10 being a universal platform, further fragmentation of Apples OS systems makes little sense. If anything, Apple will continue the work to bridge iOS and OS X through cross platform integration and support.

Plus, Apple made it clear how they feel about "pro" applications. Aperture, anyone?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This will never happen. Windows 10 being a universal platform, further fragmentation of Apples OS systems makes little sense. If anything, Apple will continue the work to bridge iOS and OS X through cross platform integration and support.

Plus, Apple made it clear how they feel about "pro" applications. Aperture, anyone?
Apple has demonstrated that it will change their feelings to suit consumers. :) If an iPad Pro comes to fruition, it won't be because of those who state that they want one but by those who have purchased Windows-based hybrids.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

Who's with me?

Thank you! Nobody seems to get that this could happen, instead of just throwing OS X into a tablet. It could easily happen, at least for the upcoming iPad Pro, and possibly for the iPad Air 3 and iPhone 6s as well. Final Cut Pro, proper games, full Photoshop, all on iPad, are you kidding? It will be amazing!

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I feel that iOS will remain as it is. In recent times, the restrictions have eased, I expect that to continue. It will look the same, act the same, but the many lock downs will fall away.

Don't worry about a file system, its there, in the app

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would love to see an iPad with the same specs as the new MBook with detachable keyboard. Got to have a USB 3 and cellular!

I think we will be seeing a iPad Pro this year, the question is how much freedom Apple will allow it. If still tied so everything has to go through iTunes . . . .well the Surface 4 Pro will be here sooner.:eek:

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I would love to see an iPad with the same specs as the new MBook with detachable keyboard. Got to have a USB 3 and cellular!

I think we will be seeing a iPad Pro this year, the question is how much freedom Apple will allow it. If still tied so everything has to go through iTunes . . . .well the Surface 4 Pro will be here sooner.:eek:

What do you mean it's tied to iTunes, and why is it a bad thing?

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
It seems like a lot of people want to make the iPad into something it's never going to be. Tablets are not going to replace laptops.

If you want all that functionality that's when you buy a Macbook Air or the new Macbook.

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
It seems like a lot of people want to make the iPad into something it's never going to be. Tablets are not going to replace laptops.

If you want all that functionality that's when you buy a Macbook Air or the new Macbook.

Surface FTW :cool:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
What do you mean it's tied to iTunes, and why is it a bad thing?

I agree. You can send files to an iPad by various means, and that should be expanded, but iTunes is a great solution. Backup and full restore of everything except email and wifi passwords. If you upgraded or replaced a SP3, can you easily and quickly exactly duplicate your last SP3?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

Why shouldn't they? They definitely have the potential, and a lot of people just prefer the iOS ecosystem. What makes you think that tablets will always be a step behind something that has just been building on something that was made 25 years ago? Tablets are the future!

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Why shouldn't they? They definitely have the potential, and a lot of people just prefer the iOS ecosystem. What makes you think that tablets will always be a step behind something that has just been building on something that was made 25 years ago? Tablets are the future!

iPads have always been restrictive, but each iOS reduces that. At the moment I cannot do everything I can on a Mac, or its super hard or clunky. If that reduces, and I can do everything, some of which are a little less convenient, thats a good situation. Currently I see my iPad Air as great for watching/reading/playing only

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
iPads have always been restrictive, but each iOS reduces that. At the moment I cannot do everything I can on a Mac, or its super hard or clunky. If that reduces, and I can do everything, some of which are a little less convenient, thats a good situation. Currently I see my iPad Air as great for watching/reading/playing only

I could not agree more. I am simply wanting the iPad Pro to be like a MBAir or MB without the keyboard.

To all those who say "just buy a new MB". I would if the keyboard could be removed. Some of us need to actually walk around while using our device and have no need to a full hard keyboard all the time. Sure a keyboard is nice but it gets in the way when I am in the field!

They way ipad is now it is limited in what it can do for me in the field but I love my Air 2 for recreational use!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I will more then likely not buy one. It seems redundant; not quite a full laptop but more cumbersome then the iPad Air. I love my Air 2, and even though I have a 6 Plus I use it every day. These hybrids don't even make that good of a laptop because it's hard to rest them on your lap since they are top-heavy.

I know someone IRL who has jonesing for a bigger iPad running some hybrid of OS X and iOS. That's it, one person. And IRL at coffee shops I rarely see people on a Surface or other Windows hybrid/two-in-one. They are either on their tablet, notebook or phone. I have a feeling the hybrid market, and tablet market for that matter, may go the way of the netbook. I hate to admit this as I love my Air 2, but that's what it looks like.

I agree though, something needs to be done to revive the iPad line. If this 'hybrid' saves it so be it. I'll probably stick to the Air line.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

You're forgetting the name of this thread. iOS Pro. The point the OP is trying to get across is that this would be a less restrictive (whatever that means) OS. That and pro apps. I wasn't saying that they were enough to fully match laptops now, but the fact that they have a future.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
You're forgetting the name of this thread. iOS Pro. The point the OP is trying to get across is that this would be a less restrictive (whatever that means) OS. That and pro apps. I wasn't saying that they were enough to fully match laptops now, but the fact that they have a future.

This is precisely the point!
If Apple is going to create a pro line of tablets, it needs to distinguish itself from the 'regular' line. And though I'm not a tech guy, I'm pretty sure that the Air 2 has more than enough power to do many of the things a 'pro' line needs to do. It's the software that presents most of the limitations. (not all, but most) So by upgrading the software to encompass 'pro' features, and giving the hardware enough juice to do the job, a pro version of the iPad could really be a great hybrid device.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is precisely the point!
If Apple is going to create a pro line of tablets, it needs to distinguish itself from the 'regular' line. And though I'm not a tech guy, I'm pretty sure that the Air 2 has more than enough power to do many of the things a 'pro' line needs to do. It's the software that presents most of the limitations. (not all, but most) So by upgrading the software to encompass 'pro' features, and giving the hardware enough juice to do the job, a pro version of the iPad could really be a great hybrid device.

I don't see why software has to be created specifically for a "pro" line of iPads, instead of letting all iOS devices access those features directly.

File management, split displays and even support for USB-C are something that could benefit both iPhones and iPads equal, not just a larger iPad. If you want developers to support said feature, it should be something accessible on as many devices as possible to make it worth their while, rather than being restricted to what is probably a niche market at best.

Likewise, software like final cut pro or photoshop for iOS is not something you really need a dedicated file directory or split-screen capabilities for anyways. Assuming all specs equal, I don't see why an app designed to run on an "iPad pro" should run on an iPad air.

I just don't see the merits of your argument here.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I don't see why software has to be created specifically for a "pro" line of iPads, instead of letting all iOS devices access those features directly.

File management, split displays and even support for USB-C are something that could benefit both iPhones and iPads equal, not just a larger iPad. If you want developers to support said feature, it should be something accessible on as many devices as possible to make it worth their while, rather than being restricted to what is probably a niche market at best.

Likewise, software like final cut pro or photoshop for iOS is not something you really need a dedicated file directory or split-screen capabilities for anyways. Assuming all specs equal, I don't see why an app designed to run on an "iPad pro" should run on an iPad air...

I would agree with you that many of the features you've discussed should be included to work on all of the latest versions of the iPad.
But the logical extension of your argument is that there is no distinction between a "pro" iPad and an iPad, save for some updated hardware specs. And the question then becomes whether that alone is enough to distinguish between a pro line and a regular line of iPads. I'm not convinced it is.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would agree with you that many of the features you've discussed should be included to work on all of the latest versions of the iPad.
But the logical extension of your argument is that there is no distinction between a "pro" iPad and an iPad, save for some updated hardware specs. And the question then becomes whether that alone is enough to distinguish between a pro line and a regular line of iPads. I'm not convinced it is.

I guess I just don't see the point of distinguishing an "iPad pro" for the sake of distinguishing one.

I still believe that the main problem plaguing the iPad is the lack of that "killer app" which makes it indispensable, not so much OS-level features like a file manager or split-screen multitasking.

Nor do I really see the point of a larger iPad. IMO, I feel the 9.7" iPad meets the sweet spot in terms of portability, battery life and ease-of-use. I can't imagine carrying a 12.9" tablet around with me, much less holding it like a clipboard out in the field or propping it on my lap when I am lounging on a sofa.

I will be interested to see how Apple markets this. Because I continue to believe that those people clamouring for OS X on a tablet are barking up the wrong tree. The iPad of the iPad should not to become another PC but rather, to continue to leverage on the strengths of iOS to become the post-PC device it was always meant to be.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

Likewise, software like final cut pro or photoshop for iOS is not something you really need a dedicated file directory or split-screen capabilities for anyways. Assuming all specs equal, I don't see why an app designed to run on an "iPad pro" should run on an iPad air.

I just don't see the merits of your argument here.

The specs won't be equal. It will probably have an A9X or even, God forbid, Intel, while the iPad Air will probably have an A9. It will probably have 4GB of memory, while the Air will stick with 2.
But even so, I would still like to see pro software on the iPad Air 3 and iPhone 6s. I don't see why not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.