Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After being put under multiple torture and waterproof tests in the week since its official launch on April 24, the Apple Watch this week faced some of its most hardcore trials yet from YouTuber Richard Ryan. Known as "FullMag" on YouTube, Ryan this week has put the Apple Watch Sport through a series of three destruction tests - Liquid Nitrogen, Hydrogen Explosion, and a 50-caliber bullet - on his technology destruction-focused channel (via Cult of Mac).

First posted on Monday, Ryan began his Apple Watch videos with a test focused on dropping the Sport version of the Watch into a container of liquid nitrogen and smashing the frozen wearable with a sledgehammer. As with most of Ryan's videos, the results are less about wondering if the Watch passed Ryan's tests, but more focusing on exactly how badly Apple's new wrist-worn device was destroyed.

Ryan has performed less high-intensity tests on the Watch, according to Cult of Mac, but has yet to post them. The YouTuber found that from basic drop tests the stainless steel Watch "shattered" while the aluminum Sport was completely fine. Ryan's channel isn't focused solely on Apple products, however, with videos showcasing the destruction of everything from Rolex watches to destruction tests on other smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Article Link: Apple Watch Faces Hydrogen Explosion, Liquid Nitrogen and More in New Tests

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
It's ok if people want to make these videos. But posting them on a news website just sucks.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The first time it was interesting. The second time it was ok. Now its just plain annoying.

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
I can't be the only one, right?

Attachments

• kwxqn.jpg
    kwxqn.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

j4m13

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Would have been better giving it to charity instead of destroying it for no reason. I am sure some of the Nepal disaster committees could make use of the $1000 its worth.

EDIT: It also gives me great pleasure to watch these videos with Ad Block, because then i haven't paid to watch it!

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
This is so dumb. Why giving this "testers" the views / attention ( read: ad revenue ) they seek so desperately?

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
This site is going downhill, it seems to be 2 clickbait articles a day minimum at the moment, garbage

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
*Attempts to refrain from succumbing to click bait*

*Fails*

I can't wait for how they outdo themselves with the next model - maybe run it over with a tank?

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I'm such a klutz. I've accidentally dropped a few Apple devices in buckets full of liquid nitrogen in the past. It's good to see that I also need to be careful with my Apple Watch. But accidents do happen...

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I'm still waiting on mine, so I'm not all that interested in seeing someone go to all the trouble of getting their hands on one, just to destroy it pointlessly.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Mean while 3 million people are waiting on their watch and these *****s are destroying them.

Can we stop destroying watches and return them so people that actually want them can get them?

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Don't try this at home. This was done by professional wantabes.

What would have been better was to see the sledge hammer explode.

Last edited:

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
This is absolutely pointless. None of these tests do anything to prove the durability of the apple watch, other than senselessly destroying them. Like other people have already said, there are some genuinely waiting to get their hands on a watch and to enjoy them, whilst this guy destroys his to probably make money on youtube. Also consider the environmental impact of what he is doing, it takes valuable energy and resources to build these devices, why do we need dozens of videos on youtube showing how to destroy them?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Mean while 3 million people are waiting on their watch and these *****s are destroying them.

Can we stop destroying watches and return them so people that actually want them can get them?

I'll tell you what's worse.

Shops and individuals throwing food in the bins, when there are hungry people probably in the same area.

Hungry people, when others are throwing it away, is vastly worse than messing around with a unimportant gadget/toy.

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
For these tests to be anyway valid and worthwhile (as a true in the field test) the guy should be wearing it....

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Something wrong with the people or the watch? What did the watch do to them really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.