Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:12 PM   #1
deanm3
macrumors newbie

Powerbook 15" Questions

Hey Everyone,
I am a PC user who is lusting a new powerbook. I am interested in the 15" 1ghz version, but I had a few questions. Does apple have any plans to update the 15" PB with features such as Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, DDR memory, and Geforce chipset, to match the 12" and 17" versions. I am pretty compulsive, but I would wait on those features if it is going to be anytime soon.

Thanks
deanm3 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:26 PM   #2
iShater
macrumors Demi-God

Re: Powerbook 15" Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by deanm3
Hey Everyone,
I am a PC user who is lusting a new powerbook. I am interested in the 15" 1ghz version, but I had a few questions. Does apple have any plans to update the 15" PB with features such as Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, DDR memory, and Geforce chipset, to match the 12" and 17" versions. I am pretty compulsive, but I would wait on those features if it is going to be anytime soon.

Thanks
I 100% guarantee that Apple will be revamping the mid-sized (15") PowerBook. The questions is when, nobody knows how soon.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:26 PM   #3
t^3
macrumors regular

Welcome to MacRumors! This topic has already been discussed, but since you're new, it's ok. The bottom line is, there will definitely be an update soon to the 15" PowerBook that will bring it in line with the other new PowerBooks. It will come with a slightly larger screen (15.4" vs 15.2" now), but the resolution will decrease slightly (1280x800 from 1280x854) to conform with the 16:10 aspect ratio. Timing is hard to predict, however, but the general consensus is that Apple is waiting until the current TiBooks sell out before the new 15" model come out, which could be anytime from now to around March.
t^3 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:27 PM   #4
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

One can only assume that Apple will do this...the question of course is "when?".

The 15" models just got updated in November so I wouldn't expect anything for a couple of months. Of course, no-one expected the new models in January either...so the simple answer is "Only Apple knows." :/
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:40 PM   #5
FlamDrag
macrumors 6502

It's difficult for me to imagine Apple releasing an updated 15" powerbook before most or all of the 17" powerbook orders have shipped. Simply because the specs will be similar and it will be tempting for many 17" orderers to re-think their purchase, cancel and order a 15". Apple would cannablize sales of the Al17 which they don't want.

Plus the added benefit of clearing inventory of the current 15" while all this goes along.

My guess is early late march / early april at the absolute earliest. They may even wait and upgrade the 15 and 17 at the same time so that the 15 inherits the current 17" specs and the 17 gets new ones (1.25 Ghz or something). In that case I'd guess 6 months or so.
FlamDrag is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers