Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Looking to upgrade from my trusty old 4s. Is there actually any difference between the 5 and 5c, apart from the obvious cosmetics ?
Main uses are calling, music, the occasional movie, and browsing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The 5c is essentially the 5 with some minor improvements.

The choice is really between plastic or metal. The 5 will do just fine for what you would use it for.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Looking to upgrade from my trusty old 4s. Is there actually any difference between the 5 and 5c, apart from the obvious cosmetics ?
What's the point of upgrading from a 2011 phone to a 2012 phone? Get an iPhone 6 or wait for the 6s (4 months left).

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Not everyone wants or needs the latest and greatest.
Yes, but you will agree that buying a 2012 phone is just nonsense (you can't even update to iOS 9 without turning it into a brick like happened to the iPhone 4s). For the same (or less) price you can get a top of the range 2015 phone which runs Lollipop buttery smooth.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, but you will agree that buying a 2012 phone is just nonsense (you can't even update to iOS 9 without turning it into a brick like happened to the iPhone 4s). For the same (or less) price you can get a top of the range 2015 phone which runs Lollipop buttery smooth.
I have an iPhone 5. I am typing this post on it.

The 5c, 5s, 6 and 6+ are not what I want. I hate iOS 7 and 8 and I want iOS 6 back.

I do just fine with my iPhone 5. Not everyone wants to upgrade to the latest.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's certainly not nonsense depending on what someone might need and want and have the means to go for. It's closer to nonsense to assume that everyone should want the same things and is capable of getting them just because others want that.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
It's certainly not nonsense depending on what someone might need and want and have the means to go for. It's closer to nonsense to assume that everyone should want the same things and is capable of getting them just because others want that.
The iPhone 5 is not even on the market anymore, so he would get a used one.

The iPhone 5 (or the 5c) is not a wise choice, today.

It has poor battery life with iOS 8, lags (even if performance's good on 8.3), bad compatibility with iOS 9 (90% sure), ecc... And it's the same price of a top of the range Android phone (lollipop buttery smooth).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

It has poor battery life with iOS 8, lags (even if performance's good on 8.3), bad compatibility with iOS 9 (90% sure), ecc... And it's the same price of a top of the range Android phone (lollipop buttery smooth).

Some people don't want to be on the latest OS. This would not matter to them.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Not everyone wants or needs the latest and greatest.

Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest !
I only want a pay as you go phone, without any contract, so can't justify paying over £500 for a phone.

If it's only a question of cosmetics, the iPhone 5 wins every time. Thanks for your help!

----------

My 4s is running 8.3 just fine.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I only want a pay as you go phone, without any contract, so can't justify paying over £500 for a phone.

If it's only a question of cosmetics, the iPhone 5 wins every time. Thanks for your help!

----------

Good joke! My girlfriend's iPhone 4s runs like a €80 android 2.3 phone with iOS 8.3 (I even factory restored it via DFU). You can improve the situation by disabling transparency. But iPhone 6 is on another planet. It's like comparing the worst FIAT ever produced with the best Ferrari ever produced.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Good joke! My girlfriend's iPhone 4s runs like a €80 android 2.3 phone with iOS 8.3 (I even factory restored it via DFU). You can improve the situation by disabling transparency. But iPhone 6 is on another planet. It's like comparing the worst FIAT ever produced with the best Ferrari ever produced.

Whatever you say.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Been dealing with a few iPhone 5 phones for a few years and they are just fine as far as battery and iOS 8 goes. No one can speak as far as anything iOS 9 goes as nothing has been announced about it, so that's a moot point. It all depends what someone might want and need. As long as they are going into it knowing it all there's nothing wrong or unwise if that is what they decided would work for them.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
In most cases, I would recommend keeping the 4s, and wait for iOS 9. If it's not supported, go ahead and get a 5, but software-wise, it won't last very long, just saying. If it is supported, it's said to be an optimisation release, so you have nothing to worry about. Get a SIM-only deal, and keep it for about a year, then you can probably save for a new phone then. Just my personal recommendation.
Just wondering though, what are you unhappy about with your 4s?

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom

----------

I had a 4s and it worked fine, but I upgraded to a 5s instead of a 5 when the 6 came out. It'll last longer than a 5 will as the specs are much better. With the 6 out a 5s second hand can be picked up pretty cheap. I'd recommend going for the best you can comfortably afford, and since the 5 will be obsolete before the 5s you'll get a better bang for your buck.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
In most cases, I would recommend keeping the 4s, and wait for iOS 9. If it's not supported, go ahead and get a 5, but software-wise, it won't last very long, just saying. If it is supported, it's said to be an optimisation release, so you have nothing to worry about. Get a SIM-only deal, and keep it for about a year, then you can probably save for a new phone then. Just my personal recommendation.
Just wondering though, what are you unhappy about with your 4s?

Screens bust, battery life now very poor. Power button temperamental.
It's had a hard life. And I have a three year old grandson who likes to drop it at every opportunity.
Apart from that I love the phone. It has a really solid, quality feel about it...or it used to have !

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011

You are talking out of your ass mate. IPhone 5 on 8.3 is great. I was just thinking the other day that the iPhone 5 has held up so well that there is no incentive to upgrade. My battery life is great. I actually get around 1.5 days of use out of a full charge. And as for lag. You are misinformed again. I've never experienced lag where the phone is hung up and waiting for a response to be recognised. I'd say it is like 0.2 sec slower than when I bought it back in 2012

90% sure? I'm 90% sure that you are full of *****. There is a chance, as with every point update, but I'm feeling pretty good by past performance of the iPhone 5.

And plus, why buy the latest iPhone 6/6plus when we are 90% sure the 6s will have 2gb of RAM?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino

I still use a iPhone 4S and will continue using it(same goes for the iPhone 1st, I have):).

The 4S is pretty fast, even in 2015. I play games like MC5,MC4,Dead Space,Mass Effect,etc...and I have no issues. Everything is smooth, don't know what you're talking about...:confused:

I wish I could get iOS 6 back, sadly that would probably kill my unlock for AT&T.:(

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
You are talking out of your ass mate. IPhone 5 on 8.3 is great. I was just thinking the other day that the iPhone 5 has held up so well that there is no incentive to upgrade. My battery life is great. I actually get around 1.5 days of use out of a full charge. And as for lag. You are misinformed again. I've never experienced lag where the phone is hung up and waiting for a response to be recognised. I'd say it is like 0.2 sec slower than when I bought it back in 2012

90% sure? I'm 90% sure that you are full of *****. There is a chance, as with every point update, but I'm feeling pretty good by past performance of the iPhone 5.

And plus, why buy the latest iPhone 6/6plus when we are 90% sure the 6s will have 2gb of RAM?

I am an iPhone 5 owner. I can notice lags (the framerate is not 60 fps stable, if you say the opposite, you're lying). I can notice slow processes (try to tap when an app opens immediately. It won't get your tap before 0,5-0,9 seconds). And if you say you can get 1.5 days of battery life, give us a proof, because I hardly believe that. The leading result I have seen it's 8 hours of usage (light usage with strong signal and NO LTE).

Here you can see the differences between 8.3 and 7.1. Not that huge difference, but it means A LOT in everyday life - and do not forget that iOS 8 lags on iPhone 4s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBV9mvJb5ls

-

PS: watch your language.

----------

I still use a iPhone 4S and will continue using it(same goes for the iPhone 1st, I have):).

The 4S is pretty fast, even in 2015. I play games like MC5,MC4,Dead Space,Mass Effect,etc...and I have no issues. Everything is smooth, don't know what you're talking about...:confused:

I wish I could get iOS 6 back, sadly that would probably kill my unlock for AT&T.:(

Try to use a recent iPhone, you'll understand that iPhone 4s' performances are a joke!

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

Yes there is a BIG difference between the 5 and the 5c

Get the 5c as it has over twice as much LTE bands than its older brother!

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Go with the 5C if you can find a 16GB model. 8GB will leave you constantly battling for storage space. The 5C was released in September 2013 (not 2012), and as others have said, it does offer improvements over the 5. I mainly use it for the camera, photo apps, maps, music, tumblr, flickr, occasional web browsing.. Oh yeah, and the phone too..and I haven't had any issues yet with lag or performance. It's a good phone.

There's a rumored 6C model that will likely be released in the fall if true. The current 6 model prices will come down at that time as well, so you'll have more options if you can wait until Sept/Oct

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

Nonsense. We have two 5c at home and they do certainly not lag.

----------

I am an iPhone 5 owner. I can notice lags (the framerate is not 60 fps stable, if you say the opposite, you're lying). I can notice slow processes (try to tap when an app opens immediately. It won't get your tap before 0,5-0,9 seconds). And if you say you can get 1.5 days of battery life, give us a proof, because I hardly believe that. The leading result I have seen it's 8 hours of usage (light usage with strong signal and NO LTE).

Here you can see the differences between 8.3 and 7.1. Not that huge difference, but it means A LOT in everyday life - and do not forget that iOS 8 lags on iPhone 4s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBV9mvJb5ls

-

PS: watch your language.
**** 'watch your language' BS!
My 5c gets one entire workday of battery. With streaming, music, browsing and calls over lte and wifi. A lot of it on high brightness, too.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
My 5c gets one entire workday of battery. With streaming, music, browsing and calls over lte and wifi. A lot of it on high brightness, too.

Yeah, for basic everyday tasks I find the battery can easily give me an entire day of use. I use my iPad more than my phone, so I often only need a charge every couple days.

The battery starts to drain fast with demanding tasks like using the camera for extended periods of time, but the battery also charges fast. I get a full charge in a little under an hour.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Go with the 5C if you can find a 16GB model. 8GB will leave you constantly battling for storage space. The 5C was released in September 2013 (not 2012), and as others have said, it does offer improvements over the 5. I mainly use it for the camera, photo apps, maps, music, tumblr, flickr, occasional web browsing.. Oh yeah, and the phone too..and I haven't had any issues yet with lag or performance. It's a good phone.

There's a rumored 6C model that will likely be released in the fall if true. The current 6 model prices will come down at that time as well, so you'll have more options if you can wait until Sept/Oct

Thanks for that. Can you tell me what improvements the 5c has over the 5 ?
Your usage sounds very similar to mine.
And it must be 16gb for me. My music would overflow an 8gb model.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for that. Can you tell me what improvements the 5c has over the 5 ?
Your usage sounds very similar to mine.
And it must be 16gb for me. My music would overflow an 8gb model.

Mainly better battery performance, more LTE bands, and some camera improvements. Not many differences, but enough to make it a better choice over the 5 IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.