Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milesc3

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Just curious has Otterbox upgraded any of its IPhone 6 series cases since they first came out? I originally bought the Defender series for my IP6 and the inner case was too large and the buttons required more pressure than necessary to activate. The Commuter series cases were also not sized properly.

Have any upgrades or improvements been made? Are there other rugged cases of this nature (different brands) that don't have these issues?

mhunter6378

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
Just curious has Otterbox upgraded any of its IPhone 6 series cases since they first came out? I originally bought the Defender series for my IP6 and the inner case was too large and the buttons required more pressure than necessary to activate. The Commuter series cases were also not sized properly.

Have any upgrades or improvements been made? Are there other rugged cases of this nature (different brands) that don't have these issues?

The short answer, at least in my case, is no there have not been any improvements.

I bought two iPhone 6s in December, one for the wife and one for me along with two Otterbox defenders. Mine was black and hers purple. Both inner cases were loose fitting. The phones would slide up and down within the inner case. Most notably when plugging or unplugging the charger cable, you feel the phone move within the case. The button action was stiff on my black case but easier and more tactile with her purple case. I remedied the loose fit by adding a small foam 1/4 diameter by 1/16 thick pad in each corner on the lower inner case half at the bottom (port end of the case). This solved the loose fit and also kept the sleep/wake and volume buttons properly aligned in the inner case cutouts. Since that time, my original iPhone 6 went to my daughter and I switched to a 6+. In April I picked up another iPhone 6. Again I got an Otterbox and once again the inner case was loose just like the first one was. Did the same trick with the foam pads. This time I got a gray case and the button action is easy and tactile like my wife's purple case. Just a theory but it could be the colored (non black) covers are a softer composition. In any event I'm happy with it now. Oh and one last comment for anyone interested, the inner case for the iPhone 6+ fits fine. No issues with that one on my 6+ but like the black one on my first iPhone 6 the buttons are stiff and yes this one is black.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
The Defender case has been updated. I was sent a replacement by Otterbox as my previous Defender case wasn't to spec and allowed the phone to move around in the case.

With the new case the phone no loner loves and feels tighter. What they changed I don't know. I assume the just added thicker foam.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
Just brought an otterbox commuter few days ago. New packaging changed. Fit right now. Still have very minor gaps but I say 99% perfect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.