Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Assuming that it will be discontinued in the near future, I've just bought another iPod shuffle.

I think it is an amazing piece of technology and the best way to just listening to music, without distracting touch screens and other options. Only music.

The absence of buttons is one of its big points: I can stop playing, put the volume up and down, or change my playing list simply by feeling the buttons, without looking at it. I couldn't do that with an iPhone.

I wish they create new versions of this excellent device. I'm afraid they won't.

Cheers!

Reactions: orbital~debris

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
How could they improve on the next gen?

Nowadays, I can't imagine how they could improve it, apart from increasing its capacity. I don't need more than 2 GB, but I guess other people do.

However, if Apple finally launches an streaming service, maybe they could integrate it with iPods in same way. I don't need that either, but some people may find that point interesting.

Anyway, I really want Apple not to relinquish this wonderful device.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Nowadays, I can't imagine how they could improve it, apart from increasing its capacity. I don't need more than 2 GB, but I guess other people do.

However, if Apple finally launches an streaming service, maybe they could integrate it with iPods in same way. I don't need that either, but some people may find that point interesting.

Anyway, I really want Apple not to relinquish this wonderful device.

Yeah, I don't want them to discontinue it either!

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
I love the iPod shuffle, it's a wonderful device and I don't know what they could change about it. 16/32GB options would be great. And it'd be also great if they allowed to sync offline stored music from the new streaming service to it. But that's more of a software thing I guess..

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Could it include Bluetooth?

My gen 2 shuffle is by far my most widely used Ipod since I bought my current car that takes sd cards meaning my iPod classic is now reduntant.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
i have the touch, shuffle, classic and nano. my nano is the most used ipod since it has bluetooth. what i did was i bought a nokia lumia 635 for $40 as this has bluetooth and wifi too and i can add up to 128GB card and presumably will have 50 hours of music time. i still need to check how much power it will hold if i am using bluetooth for music. i just got it so still at the experimenting stage.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
i have the touch, shuffle, classic and nano. my nano is the most used ipod since it has bluetooth. what i did was i bought a nokia lumia 635 for $40 as this has bluetooth and wifi too and i can add up to 128GB card and presumably will have 50 hours of music time. i still need to check how much power it will hold if i am using bluetooth for music. i just got it so still at the experimenting stage.
A nice thing about using Lumias as portable media players is that Microsoft's Windows Phone app for OSX syncs iTunes media to them.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
The lack of storage is a necessity of the shuffle UI. Difficult to navigate more than 2Gb with no visual cues...

I agree though.. brilliant device. I have two !

Reactions: orbital~debris

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
The lack of storage is a necessity of the shuffle UI. Difficult to navigate more than 2Gb with no visual cues...

I agree though.. brilliant device. I have two !

I wonder if they were to update to a shuffle that could save offline playlists of Apple Music subscribers. That would drive the market for the updated version of the Shuffle, even a Nano if people didn't want the entry level device to be an iPod Touch

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho

Good point. However, I've never had much difficulty navigating on my shuffle because I mostly listen to playlists in shuffle mode. Since each playlist is about 100 items, it's easy to switch between them, but since space is limited I can't load many lists. I'd love to have 4GB - 8GB storage on the shuffle. I don't foresee that as an issue for me at all, given the way I use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.