Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:54 PM   #1
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Now DVD's Don't Play On My iBook

My brother and i got ibooks. They are the same age and we have the same stats. 512 mb of ram, 80 gig hard-drive, 1.33 mght proccesor. Before we could play DVDs on it but now we get an error message. I don't know what happened, i think that it was an update that messed it up. Does anybody else have this problem.
ilovemyibook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:14 PM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyibook
Before we could play DVDs on it but now we get an error message. I don't know what happened, i think that it was an update that messed it up. Does anybody else have this problem.
Ok, welcome to the forums, and I'm sure you're happy with you new iBook, but one thread at a time about problems.

With that said, the DVD problem will require more information. What program are you using, what does the error message say. Does it happen on both iBooks?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:39 PM   #3
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

By saying it is new i mean i got in November of 05. I use DVD Player. It worked before and one night my brother said DVD's didn't play on his computer. so i put in a DVD and it didn't play. My mac reads CD's fine, i put in my OS X disc and it read it. it is the strangest thing i have ever seen.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
By saying it is new i mean i got in November of 05. I use DVD Player. It worked before and one night my brother said DVD's didn't play on his computer. so i put in a DVD and it didn't play. My mac reads CD's fine, i put in my OS X disc and it read it. it is the strangest thing i have ever seen.
What does the error say??? Have you tried several DVD's?

I'll be preemptive to say go download VLC from www.versiontracker.com it's a better program than DVD Player IMO.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:39 PM   #5
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

I Went To The Apple Store, And They Said It Was Software Problems. They Told Me To Put The OS X Disc In And Re-Install It. It Worked.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:53 PM   #6
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
I Went To The Apple Store, And They Said It Was Software Problems. They Told Me To Put The OS X Disc In And Re-Install It. It Worked.
You reinstalled the entire OS? I am hearing that advice more and more these days, and I don't get it.

Although from the perspective of a new Mac user, I don't blame you for taking the advice of the Macstore guys. But for Macs a reinstall of the OS is usually a bit extreme IMO. Either way, good to hear it's working again.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:50 PM   #7
Shamus
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Shamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12
You reinstalled the entire OS? I am hearing that advice more and more these days, and I don't get it.
It reminds me of when I had a Windows machine.
Shamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:04 AM   #8
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus
It reminds me of when I had a Windows machine.
I rember`when i didn't have a mac (wow scary thought), I could tell you where the reinstall disk was at all times off the top of my head.
Fearless Leader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Every Mac that I bought I did a clean/custom install of OSX just to make sure that something didn't go wrong when they installed it as well as not needing everything that was on there to begin with.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:23 PM   #10
laidbackliam
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokem
I rember`when i didn't have a mac (wow scary thought), I could tell you where the reinstall disk was at all times off the top of my head.
on my last desktop, i taped a paper cd sleeve to the side of the computer, that had my xp disc in it.

i don't miss that computer
laidbackliam is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs