Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Unofficial rules.

In the US, you drive on the right side. By extension, when walking on the sidewalk, you walk along the right half. If you're coming straight at me and about to collide with me, and you're on the wrong side, it is YOU who needs to move, not me.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Unofficial rules.

In the US, you drive on the right side. By extension, when walking on the sidewalk, you walk along the right half. If you're coming straight at me and about to collide with me, and you're on the wrong side, it is YOU who needs to move, not me.

Your rules are wrong. For safety reasons in zones without dedicated sidewalks separate from traffic, pedestrians are always suggested to walk against traffic so that they can see what's coming towards them and react accordingly.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Unofficial rules.

By what extension? You cannot compare driving a vehicle to walking on a sidewalk, there are no tests nor training for walking on a sidewalk. If someone won't yield, simply move out of their way - it's not going to rob you of resources or shorten your life.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Unofficial rules.

Yes, very wrong. Pedestrian traffic does not mirror vehicular traffic.
You use common sense, along with courtesy.
Exp: I am walking with my friend beside me. I, as the safeguard of another life, take it upon myself to walk in a position that keeps my friend out of harm's way, which would mean that my walking path will be closer to the edge, or closer to the vehicle lanes, or nearer to a construction area, etc - could be on the right, or left, my choice.
Also, what will you do if you are walking, approaching my position, but I am standing still? Being on a sidewalk does not suggest continuous movement. I can just as easily stand and watch the people move past. Try not to run me over, if you can avoid it at your high walking rate. :D

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I never gave this second thought BUT there is some points on both sides. Some places they actually HAVE solid yellow lines painted on foot paths or bike paths, some places have signs that state "Walk on the right" or "Keep right" i have seen (and do have) both examples in areas around where I live. Although, unlike vehicle traffic, sidewalks are not enforced, so even though its common courtesy to walk on the right half (or bike on the right half) of the sidewalk its never done people walk down the center and RARELY ever move over for a person coming in the other direction. I think this could be due to how narrow sidewalks are.

I DO however agree with this logic while inside a store, you don't drive your car in the wrong direction or park your car in the middle of the road, dont do that while pushing a cart either!

EDIT: you are actually only advised to walk AGAINST traffic IF there is no sidewalk. if you are on a sidewalk it doesn't matter which direction you walk versus which side of the street you are on.

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
If you're coming straight at me and about to collide with me, and you're on the wrong side, it is YOU who needs to move, not me.

If the other guy is a lot bigger than you, YOU need to move aside, not him. Who would fair better in a collision?:eek:

None of these stupid rules matter to me anyhow.:rolleyes: I'm the bigger man and will step a side and yield right of way to the people going the other way. It's better to be nice than right, IMO.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
YES! SUCH A HUGE ANNOYANCE! The worst is when you stop or stay on the right side and the person walking towards you gives you the ugliest look. There is no need to think, stay to your right and there is no problem!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Your rules are wrong. For safety reasons in zones without dedicated sidewalks separate from traffic, pedestrians are always suggested to walk against traffic so that they can see what's coming towards them and react accordingly.

You and the three people who up-voted didn't understand the original post.

What the OP was saying had absolutely nothing to do with respect to which side of the road a sidewalk was on or walking with/against traffic, it was for any given random sidewalk anywhere, and he was referencing the left/right side as being the left/right side of a given sidewalk.

He's saying if you are walking on a sidewalk (through a park where there's no road nearby, for example), you should be walking on the right side of the sidewalk.

Had nothing to do with directionality of traffic.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I don't care what the so called rules are, I always walk against traffic whether it be cars, pedestrians or bicyclists . It's important so see what's coming at you so you can get out of the way if the worst happens. Trust me, I've been at it my whole adult life and I'm still here. BTW, I'm 63 years old it's worked for me..

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I don't care what the so called rules are, I always walk against traffic weather it be cars, pedestrians or bicyclists . It's important so see what's coming at you so you can get out of the way if the worst happens. Trust me, I've been at it my whole adult life and I'm still here. BTW, I'm 63 years old it's worked for me..

Did you happen to read the post above yours?

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I don't care what the so called rules are, I always walk against traffic whether it be cars, pedestrians or bicyclists . It's important so see what's coming at you so you can get out of the way if the worst happens. Trust me, I've been at it my whole adult life and I'm still here. BTW, I'm 63 years old it's worked for me..
:rolleyes:
If you stay on the right of the sidewalk, you'll still be walking against the car traffic no matter which side of the road the sidewalk is on.

Agree with the OP. Stay on the right even on the sidewalk.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Unofficial rules.

Please note, if this kind of thing frustrates you then avoid large crowds of walking people. Stay away from parks, fairs, malls, conventions, big sporting events, concerts, festivals, etc. All the people breaking your "unofficial rules" at these kinds of places might make your head explode. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Unofficial rules.

Please note, if this kind of thing frustrates you then avoid large crowds of walking people. Stay away from parks, fairs, malls, conventions, big sporting events, concerts, festivals, etc. All the people breaking your "unofficial rules" at these kinds of places might make your head explode. ;)

Agree with mscriv.

I suspect that it is modern urban life that the OP finds problematic.

For Heaven's wake - dictating how to walk on a footpath instead of using a bit of courtesy and a modicum of common sense.

Given that there is so much wrong with the world, to pick a fight on the basis of where one walks on a footpath - when one could easily step aside - strikes me as being manifestly absurd.

For that matter, I would also argue that it seems an unusually belligerent - not to mention slightly ludicrous and extraordinarily emotionally exhausting - attitude to take to……..contesting ownership of - or disputing passage on - the humble footpath.

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Unofficial rules.

So by extension, if you were in your car and came upon someone driving towards you on the wrong side of the road, would you still say, "it is YOU who needs to move, not me"?

Because both cases involve a potential collision. And I do what I can to avoid those.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
:rolleyes:
If you stay on the right of the sidewalk, you'll still be walking against the car traffic no matter which side of the road the sidewalk is on.

Agree with the OP. Stay on the right even on the sidewalk.

Yet on escalators and movers, there are distinct signs that state "Stand to the right, walkers to the left."

escalators1.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23444086

Otherwise, you'd violate yet another rule of etiquette: Slow traffic keep right.

Which one do you want, because you can't have both.

BL.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
So by extension, if you were in your car and came upon someone driving towards you on the wrong side of the road, would you still say, "it is YOU who needs to move, not me"?

Because both cases involve a potential collision. And I do what I can to avoid those.

In a car, boat, or as a pedestrian I abide by the law of gross tonnage.

MacDavey

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
UK
I find it best to always walk on the side away from the road when I can - whether that is the left or the right is not important to me.

If someone is walking towards me, I move to the side next to the road so the person coming towards me can keep away from the road. Its just polite to not force other people to walk next to the road.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Control issues.

Indeed. The same (unworthy) thought has also crossed my mind.

Can one imagine such an attitude acted upon enthusiastically in the domestic sphere? Negotiated passage on the stairs? Right of way disputes in the living room? Contested access to the bathroom?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I hate being stuck behind someone standing in the middle.

'Hate'?? Good grief.

That is such a strong and powerful verb to use for what is essentially a pretty minor - if slightly annoying - temporary inconvenience.

Personally, I reserve the exhaustion and power of the verb 'to hate' for things that really matter in life, things that are a lot more important than mere - and temporary - inconvenience.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Unofficial rules.

After a lifetime of observation (52 years old) there seems to be a sliding scale based on age and pigmentation as to who moves over.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

I don't think you understood what the OP was talking about. He isn't talking about walking on the wrong sidewalk....Assuming there is one on both sides of the road.

See attached picture. He is saying same rules apply on the sidewalk as the road. I would agree with the OP and say it goes for hallways as well....at least in the USA. It is just proper etiquette.

851411766613arkansas.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.