Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iTunes-Radio-250x225.jpg
While Apple is still working to get key deals in place for its upcoming streaming music service, the company remains committed to announcing the service at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), likely during the opening keynote on June 8, according to 9to5Mac.

Apple's streaming music service will reportedly launch alongside a revamped iTunes Radio in a "long list" of countries in late June as part of iOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2. New Apple TV and Mac apps that will integrate the service remain under development at Apple.

The redesigned Music app in iOS 8.4 beta, seeded to developers in April, will reportedly have different options and tabs geared towards Apple's streaming music service by time the software version reaches the public. Meanwhile, the all-new version of iTunes Radio will reportedly offer unlimited skipping as a paid option, and become available in additional countries beyond the United States and Australia.
"The beta version of iOS 8.4 in the hands of developers is only a taste of the new design, according to sources, and the different options and tabs across the application will be tweaked to better feature streaming music over music stored offline. Sources said earlier this year that the new Beats-based application will include porting of existing Beats accounts, curated playlists, and the ability to save tracks for offline listening. While Apple initially hoped to charge $8/month for the service, roadblocks from the record labels have reportedly pushed the price back to the existing $10/month."
The report also reveals a few details about iOS 9 "Monarch," also expected to be announced at WWDC in June. The next major version of the iPhone and iPad operating system is said to have a redesigned Siri interface that resembles the colorful design of Siri on Apple Watch, and will also contain several security improvements and bug fixes.

Article Link: Apple's Streaming Music Service and Revamped iTunes Radio Launching in Several Countries in Late June

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Revamped, haha, here we still don't have the non-revamped itunes radio. Apple's services outside the US suck

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Revamped, haha, here we still don't have the non-revamped itunes radio. Apple's services outside the US suck

Did you read the article? iTunes Radio launching in a long list of countries. Sounds like they had it ready to go worldwide for ages, with a growing list, but the Beats deal held them up.

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm happy with Spotify, unless Apple comes up with a brilliant music service. But, to be honest Apple, just concentrate on making iOS 9 better.

Last edited:

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Did you read the article? iTunes Radio launching in a long list of countries. Sounds like they had it ready to go worldwide for ages, with a growing list, but the Beats deal held them up.

Yes I did, that's why it's not revamped, it will be 1st version here.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I may try Beats Music if they offer a trial and it integrates with iOS, but Apple are a bit late to this party. I've been using Spotify for a while now and I struggle to see how Apple could surpass it, bar them significantly undercutting Spotify's price.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
when you open the redesigned music app in the beta, does it default to the "Radio" tab?

I use the Music app but NEVER use the "Radio" portion, so it's annoying when every time I want to listen to music I need to switch off of the Radio section.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I subscribed to Beats Music a few months ago, and honestly have been really really impressed with it. The only thing I hate about it is having to remember what part of my libary is in Beats and what part of it is in the Music app. Hopefully whatever they announce remedies this.

zaneliu94

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Bay Area
I have such a deep integration with my immense Spotify playlists that it'll be troublesome to switch to Apple's service even if I wanted to.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
"revamped" - UK hasn't even seen this radio service...

I'd take discoveryd being fixed over the radio service.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
At $10/month, I see no reason to switch to Apple's service from Spotify. Plus, it's an Apple service so it'll be lackluster and rarely updated to fix issues.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Given that those outside of America and Australia can "listen" to iTunes Radio using a workaround I suppose some would argue it's not 'new' to those territories.

Who knows, by 2029 we might get Apple Pay and even the ability to buy cinema tickets through Siri and even reserve a table for two at an 'upscale' restaurant :rolleyes:

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I hope this time they bring it to the UK!

I've stopped caring about if they bring it here. There are plenty of other providers that do a good job. To be honest Spotify is faster to play any song than trying to steam from iTunes in the cloud.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
At $10/month, I see no reason to switch to Apple's service from Spotify. Plus, it's an Apple service so it'll be lackluster and rarely updated to fix issues.

Ain't that the truth. The first thing I do with every new iPhone is replace all the native apps with third-party ones and use Google services instead of that iCloud crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.