Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
So I found that I wasn't "really" throttled last month. I was at ~12GB at the end of my billing cycle and was at ~8 download.

Does your post mean that they are only throttling if you're in a market that demands it?

----------

Just checked my speeds again and I'm at the same down/up as I was before my billing cycle ended.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
So I found that I wasn't "really" throttled last month. I was at ~12GB at the end of my billing cycle and was at ~8 download.

Does your post mean that they are only throttling if you're in a market that demands it?

----------

Just checked my speeds again and I'm at the same down/up as I was before my billing cycle ended.

It's probably related to a cell tower not the market. But I'm not sure. Living in Philly is my market but Philly has many cell towers.

Point is there isn't any hard limits on grandfathered unlimited data.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
It sounds like AT&T stopped hard throttling people back in March, and now only throttle unlimited data users if you've used over 3GB and are on 3G/4G or 5GB on LTE when on a congested tower.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
I work down town LA and was still throttled until today. Pretty much couldnt watch any type of video without a ton of buffering on youtube/instagram. It sucks! but "5GB" is still cheaper than getting it elsewhere

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp?source=IZDUel1160000000U

I posted in a thread that I thought AT&T stopped their current throttling practice and implemented network management and I was right.

I'm now getting advertised speeds and I am at close to 7GB with 14 days left. I was throttled yesterday.

Interesting. Based upon the statement linked it indeed sounds like you are now only throttled if the cell tower is congested. However, if I understand this correctly if you *are* on a congested tower and *do* get throttled you won't get full speed back until the next billing cycle. It doesn't mention that moving to another tower that is not congested will restore your speeds.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I work down town LA and was still throttled until today. Pretty much couldnt watch any type of video without a ton of buffering on youtube/instagram. It sucks! but "5GB" is still cheaper than getting it elsewhere

Throttling practice has stopped now network management.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Its funny because you people are years late to the game. AT&T's throttling is the same it was in March 2012. 3GB for H+, 5GB for LTE. Why are people still fussing about it after all this time?

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Its funny because you people are years late to the game. AT&T's throttling is the same it was in March 2012. 3GB for H+, 5GB for LTE. Why are people still fussing about it after all this time?

Because the hard throttling at 5GB has changed.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
No it has not!!! I know for a fact they still throttled after 5GB of usage if on LTE.

Don't believe everything you read.

The new network management policy isn't throttling at 5GB at .50Mbps down until the next billing cycle.

Those of us that still have legacy unlimited plans our plans have gotten better.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011

Because everyone and their grandmother misinterpreted the announcement to say that they weren't going to throttle anyone at any time anymore.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Because everyone and their grandmother misinterpreted the announcement to say that they weren't going to throttle anyone at any time anymore.

AT&T softened the throttling policy as per the link I posted. It's not a hard throttling no matter where you are when you reach 5GB.

Example. I was throttled as of about 6PM last night. No matter where I went I was throttled at AT&T throttled speeds. Throttled at work in Philly, throttled at my home areas South Jersey. Now since the new policy took effect I'm not throttled at work and not throttled at or around my house. My work is in a pretty heavy populated area in Philly located west of Center City. Now Center City Philly I might have a different experience since it's much more congested. I haven't tried it there yet.

Again the point is AT&T has softened the throttling practice. I'm NOT at throttled speeds at work or at and around my home. I've been getting advertised speeds.

Like I said I don't know what it will be like when I hit a congested tower/area or what the speeds would be. All I know I'm not throttled at the places I most frequent compared to before where I was throttled at .50Mbps down and up in the places I most frequent.

Those of us that still have legacy unlimited data plans our plans have gotten better without even lifting a finger :).

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
You seem to not understand me. I know that they pulled the hard throttle. I realize that they're implementing a throttle based on tower congestion.

I'm just saying that there seems to be a large contingent of people who think att isn't going to throttle ever again.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
You seem to not understand me. I know that they pulled the hard throttle. I realize that they're implementing a throttle based on tower congestion.

I'm just saying that there seems to be a large contingent of people who think att isn't going to throttle ever again.

Ok gotcha. Yes seems like a large amount think AT&T isn't going to throttle ever again which is WRONG. They removed the hard throttle at 5GB. If I was still being hard throttled I wouldn't be getting advertised speeds at work and home as an example. I would be getting hard throttled speeds of .50'ishMbps down/up.

Here's something interesting. Ran some speeds tests in the early AM and was getting 15-20Mbps down. I'm talking 2-6AM. It's now about 4PM and ran some speed tests and I'm getting 5-6Mbps down. I live in a heavily populated area in South Jersey. When I was hard throttled I would get .50Mbps down. I'm not complaining. Wonder if this is how AT&T is maybe network managing?

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
This is great news. I pretty much get throttled every month and was waiting (hoping) for AT&T to bring back the double data promotions or something similar so I can switch my family over to a mobile share plan as unlimited really isn't unlimited anymore.

My billing cycle just started today so can't test this out yet but I'm going to try and burn through 5GB so I can see if this is true. I typically only use around 6-8GB per month but when i get throttled it's brutal. I have no patience.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
This is great news. I pretty much get throttled every month and was waiting (hoping) for AT&T to bring back the double data promotions or something similar so I can switch my family over to a mobile share plan as unlimited really isn't unlimited anymore.

My billing cycle just started today so can't test this out yet but I'm going to try and burn through 5GB so I can see if this is true. I typically only use around 6-8GB per month but when i get throttled it's brutal. I have no patience.

A heads up. I tested one of our sons line and he's at 6GB and was hard throttled. I did a hard reset and now he's not throttled. The hard reset did it.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I am in Spartanburg, South Carolina, with 2 days left in my billing cycle. Currently at 6+ GB used, and thought my cycle had started over when I was getting 25MBPS+ speeds. HALLEUJAH!!!!

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I'm on unlimited, have not been throttled at all this year.

Near Los Angeles. Have about 8GBs with 2 days to go. 20mbps.

Seems kinda hard for them to justify throttling on their old argument, when a few months ago they were offering 2x the data for the same price.

Now would they like to have everyone pay $100 + - of course.

Would they like to have everyone on a grandfathered plan off, of course of course.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I'm on unlimited, have not been throttled at all this year.

Near Los Angeles. Have about 8GBs with 2 days to go. 20mbps.

Seems kinda hard for them to justify throttling on their old argument, when a few months ago they were offering 2x the data for the same price.

Now would they like to have everyone pay $100 + - of course.

Would they like to have everyone on a grandfathered plan off, of course of course.

I was never hard throttled until the last 2 months. Prior to 2 months I always went over 5GB and never got throttled.

Yea I believe they would like everyone who has a UDP off. But I also believe they won't do away with UDP but might make it more 'difficult' such as doing away with device subsidies as an example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.