Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Looks nice, but the lack of specifications for especially the mDP port (which I assume it is, even though it's actually not stated anywhere - also a bit strange) is disconcerting. And the USB-A ports are only 2.0 - what's up with that?

And I'm pretty sure they're showing an Apple Thunderbolt Display in their video attached with a TB cable to the hub, which definitely will not work (or with the rMB in any way for that matter).

The people behind seem a tad goofy to me, too:
NONDA said:
We are confident that we can deliver the Hub+ to you on time - if we miss it and experience delays, we'll put on chicken costumes and do the chicken dance for you without hesitation.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This actually seems like a kickstarted that will take off b.c it is not hard to produce. My problem is the lack of HDMI.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Looks nice, but the lack of specifications for especially the mDP port (which I assume it is, even though it's actually not stated anywhere - also a bit strange) is disconcerting. And the USB-A ports are only 2.0 - what's up with that?

It says "mini Display Port"
http://www.nonda.co/

Also the FAQ mentions a MST display hub for multi-display.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This seems useless.
Only USB 2.0
USB-C only for charging as you need 3 ports to do any this else while charging.
No explanation of bonus adapter
Missing hdmi
Network?
Why do i need a battery?

$80?

lostboyz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Singapore
This seems useless.
Only USB 2.0
USB-C only for charging as you need 3 ports to do any this else while charging.
No explanation of bonus adapter
Missing hdmi
Network?
Why do i need a battery?

$80?

They did explain the the bonus adapter is a USB c to USB a

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
It's *almost* good. If it had USB 3.0 (or higher) and HDMI, I might have considered it. Ethernet would be nice too, but not as much of a deal breaker for me.

They should include both DP and HDMI. If they can't run both at once, make one port dominant so that the other is disabled if both are connected, no need for a physical switch.

Also, people need to start including some additional USB-C ports on these hub designs instead of two ports just to pass power through. USB-C is the future.

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
They've posted in the comments of their Kickstarter page that the reason why USB 3 isn't supported is "because there is no stable chip set to support USB-C to USB-A 3.0".

At least they are upfront and honest about it. It makes me question the reliability of the Chinese knockoffs on ebay. It may work one day, then stop working the next.

I'm guessing that's the same reason why there's no USB-C to multiple USB-C hubs out yet; could be the same issue of reliability. Given that USB-C is still relatively new and bleeding edge, all we can really do is wait until the product matures for more products to come out.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
And there's an update on the mDP, too: It's version 1.2, so full support of whatever resolutions and refresh rates the rMB can do. Nice.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This hub looks so much better than all the other stuff I have seen so far. It certainly sounds like a winner on paper. Of course, no USB-3 is a bummer, but their explanation is reasonable I guess. It shouldn't take too long however until suitable chips will come out.

As to my personal notes: I'd prefer it to have an ethernet port (we have some offices in the department where WiFi connection is only subpar) and I don't really understand why an internal battery is necessary.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Not really, within the first 24 hours they sold 9 out of 10 24 karat gold hubs that cost $3999 that pushed them well over the funding threshold. :/

For which they have a quite reasonable explanation. I don't think this is a scam, in contrast to many other USB-C products I have seen. At any rate, so far this is the only products that really looks solid, usable, well designed and though out. Scammers usually don't go into such a length.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
The explanation is a bit weird especially because of the absurd amount. 9 out of 10 gold hubs makes $35991 while the goal was $35000, that's pretty convenient so I still have my doubts. :)

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
This hub looks so much better than all the other stuff I have seen so far. It certainly sounds like a winner on paper. Of course, no USB-3 is a bummer, but their explanation is reasonable I guess. It shouldn't take too long however until suitable chips will come out.

As to my personal notes: I'd prefer it to have an ethernet port (we have some offices in the department where WiFi connection is only subpar) and I don't really understand why an internal battery is necessary.

+1. I'm hoping someone will release a mini-hub that includes USB-A 3.0 and Ethernet.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
They did explain the the bonus adapter is a USB c to USB a

I did not see it. or it was not there when I posted.

----------

They've posted in the comments of their Kickstarter page that the reason why USB 3 isn't supported is "because there is no stable chip set to support USB-C to USB-A 3.0".

At least they are upfront and honest about it. It makes me question the reliability of the Chinese knockoffs on ebay. It may work one day, then stop working the next.

I'm guessing that's the same reason why there's no USB-C to multiple USB-C hubs out yet; could be the same issue of reliability. Given that USB-C is still relatively new and bleeding edge, all we can really do is wait until the product matures for more products to come out.

WHats Apple using?

Without USB 3 this dock is useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.