Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMarty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Looking at buying some extra external storage for my iPad. I've currently got the 128GB iPad Mini 2, but travelling soon and can never have enough films to watch :)

The Leef iBRIDGE was first on my radar after seeing some favourable reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

£82 for 64GB.

Amazon also have the following on offer. Less than half the price for the same storage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Anybody got one of these? Obviously not as aesthetically pleasing as the iBRIDGE, but if it does the same job for that price, I'm not all that bothered.

Broken English in the item description leaves me a bit wary.

To extend the iPad / iPhone memery capacity; No need to worried out of the memory.
Directly play film, music or read the file stored in the U Disk;
No need Jailbreak, Just install a software;
You can copy the file from your iPad or iPhone to the U disk , Or from the U disk to your iPad or iPhone.
Can't support the App.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I have this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-iXpand-128-Flash-Drive/dp/B00UBGU4WM
Or rather the 32GB variant

copy-paste the link if you're sent to Amazon US like I was when clicking your links. Apparently MacRumors uses a plugin to hijack Amazon links to get affiliate revenue from it and the links lose the Amazon country variant information in the process.

I wouldn't go with the cheap thingy. If price is a factor go with a hard drive with wireless connection capabilities instead, as that will give you a lot more bang for the buck.

As for Leef vs iXpand, it's essentially the same product. I will say that I've been in contact with the support department of both products and Leef seems....well, they're actually proud of this (from their website):

"At Leef, design always comes first. In fact, over half of our team is made up of designers."

...and it fits the impression I got from their CS. I asked about future capability to zip files from inside the interface app, allowing you to easily export multiple files to other apps as the "open in..." feature only supports single files. I asked the same question to SanDisk CS too.

SanDisk forwarded the request to the developers of the app (internally at SD). They've added features I've requested in the past, and I know from the app changelog that they're doing the same for others.

Leef just said no and then proceeded to inform me that the next step for .zip files was unzipping in the app, which has absolutely no relevance to the question, leading me to think the CS rep didn't even understand the reason behind the request.

Make of that what you want, but I wasn't impressed at least.

iMarty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

Had thought about a hard drive with wireless, but that probably wouldn't be allowed on a flight? Not sure what the situation is with that these days. (Also looking at bluetooth controllers for games, not sure if they allow them either?)

Sounds like Sandisk are more receptive to developing the product from what you are saying. All I'm really looking for is a way to expand the amount of movies I can watch whilst I'm away from home. I don't have my own laptop and when I travel with work I get a loaner or use a desktop at the office I'm working at.

64GB would probably be the sweet spot for me. If anybody with this £38 solution has it, and confirms it works, then that'll probably do me.

Thanks again. Your link took me to the UK site btw :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.