Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
According to phone arena the Z4 Compact will be launched on the 13th.

The question is.... Is it a new design or just a mini Z4 hardware wise? And will it be an international device or Japan only?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z4-Compact-to-be-unveiled-on-May-13th_id69022

While most "mini" versions of flagship phones are smaller in size with less impressive specs, Sony has taken a much different tact with its "Compact" line. The Sony Xperia Zx Compact models are indeed smaller than the full-size versions, but the specs are basically the same. Occasionally the smaller phones provide the better mobile experience. For example, users said that the 4.3-inch, 720p screen on the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact was better than the 5-inch 1080p display on the full-sized model.

What brings this up is a report out of Russia that gives us a possible unveiling date for the Sony Xperia Z4 Compact. Before we give you that date, we do want to mention that a leaked image reveals that the Xperia Z4 Compact will have a model number of SO-04G. The Sony Xperia Z4, which is reportedly being sold only in Japan (another model will be offered globally), was officially announced last month with a model number of SO-03G/SOV31.

Now that this is all clear, we can tell you to expect the Sony Xperia Z4 Compact to be introduced on May 13th. That happens to be exactly one week from today, so circle your calendar and keep your schedule open for next Wednesday.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think the preciously announced z4 was Japan only. Do this one is for US and other markets.

Can't wait to see what they'll unveil.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, the Z4 is Japan only, apparently Sony will be launching another flagship phone for international markets.
But if they give the Z4 Compact a 1080p or better 4.7 or hopefully 4.8" screen, and a snapdragon 810 and also one of their fancy new cameras with new software then I'll be pretty interested.
So long as it doesn't overheat when filming 1080p let alone 4k! My Nexus 5 gets very hot and tends to crash after 15 mins of 1080p filming haha.

Can't wait to see what they announce :)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
This has piqued my interest as well because I am sorts gravitating back towards smaller phones again. At least 4.5" or similar sized to the Nokia Lumia 635 would do it for me.

The Z4 was a disappointing announcement but I am willing to lower my standards since I don't need Z4C to smoke S6 in a benchmark test. I don't even need Snapdragon 810. Just keep improving battery life which is already pretty great on its predecessor, change the rear material, give it a nice cam, lessen the frequency of flagship, and I am pretty much sold on it.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Been using a Z3 Compact for the last couple of weeks as an interim device.

Seriously impressed with so much about it. In fact the only real letdown is the camera.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to what Sony can do with a Z4 or Z5 Compact.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Watch out, its most likely the compact version toward Japanese market only
They always got compact version earlier
This is a slight upgrade of Z3/Z3C
The true compact will coming in September/October at Berlin ''IFA''
Z5/Z5 Compact

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Watch out, its most likely the compact version toward Japanese market only
They always got compact version earlier
This is a slight upgrade of Z3/Z3C
The true compact will coming in September/October at Berlin ''IFA''
Z5/Z5 Compact

Its not a slight upgrade if it has a snapdragon 810 chip with 3gb ram and a 1080p 4.7" screen. Plus a new design. And a flap free waterproof USB port.

Also there has been no confirmation that if this is launched next week, it will be Japan only, that is only assumptions made by people with no facts to back it up, currently.... But I won't be surprised if it is Japan only.

I can't see Sony waiting another 5 months plus before replacing its flagship phone in the west.

Last edited:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I love the idea of a compact powerhouse.

I even hope they keep the screen the same size and resolution, add Snapdragon 810 and maybe even screen 4GB RAM in there. It's going to be a beast!

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Its not a slight upgrade if it has a snapdragon 810 chip with 3gb ram and a 1080p 4.7" screen. Plus a new design. And a flap free waterproof USB port.

Also there has been no confirmation that if this is launched next week, it will be Japan only, that is only assumptions made by people with no facts to back it up, currently.... But I won't be surprised if it is Japan only.

I can't see Sony waiting another 5 months plus before replacing its flagship phone in the west.
i currently own Z3C, still a beast, maybe the most balanced smartphone among all
1080p is pointless for smaller screen size
2 GB ram are still enough for most of use
Flap free waterproof USB port, yes, it might be a great feature
Design, i think Z3C and all Xperia Z product's range have great design with its own style, simple design, quite sober...

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
i currently own Z3C, still a beast, maybe the most balanced smartphone among all
1080p is pointless for smaller screen size
2 GB ram are still enough for most of use
Flap free waterproof USB port, yes, it might be a great feature
Design, i think Z3C and all Xperia Z product's range have great design with its own style, simple design, quite sober...

I can tell the difference with a 1080p screen, plus with the power under the hood the phone would be more then capable of running that resolution. Also they could have 2gb ram, but no reason for not using 3gb plus with 64 bit Android it could use it too to improve multitasking etc.
Yeah the design is nice, understated, but the Compact has some wacky colours! Still will have to and see what gets announced, I saw one rumour about a low cost small phone? Not the Compact.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm currently using a Z1 Compact and love the size. I'd like to see them go back to the 4.3" or smaller for the compact model, then I might stick with android. As it is I'm probably going back to iOS as soon as my current phone gives out.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm currently using a Z1 Compact and love the size. I'd like to see them go back to the 4.3" or smaller for the compact model, then I might stick with android. As it is I'm probably going back to iOS as soon as my current phone gives out.

going to buy the 5s then? I dont think apple will make anything smaller than iphone 6 anymore.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
going to buy the 5s then? I dont think apple will make anything smaller than iphone 6 anymore.

I'm going to wait and see if they release an updated smaller phone with the 6S. If not then I'll go from there, possibly the 5S, or deal with the 6 or 6+. After using android for a bit I like the iOS interface a lot better so if I'm going to be forced into a giant screen I'd rather go with iOS.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm going to wait and see if they release an updated smaller phone with the 6S. If not then I'll go from there, possibly the 5S, or deal with the 6 or 6+. After using android for a bit I like the iOS interface a lot better so if I'm going to be forced into a giant screen I'd rather go with iOS.

fair enough! I believe the 5S is apples best selling 'previous model year phone' ever, so itll be interesting to see if they react to that

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Z3C isnt much bigger than 5S, sightly wider but not really taller
Z3C have 0.5 inches more with almost same size phone
That makes huge difference
iPhone 6 has 0.1 inche more than Z3C but size phone is quite bigger overall
Conclusion, with iPhone you always get smaller screen size in comparison of size phone which makes me like a disappointment when it comes to choose compact phone
(In Europe, Z3C was in promotion for 250 eur/usd!!!, normal price is under 380 eur/usd on Amazon, for its price, you ll get the best battery life on the market, waterproof, good design, great performance...)
Trust me i am ex owner of iPhone (4S), i do like iOS but Android is fairly mature and more customizable
Let me explain, iOS tends to be more rigid, simple in appearance but terribly strict in term of ergonomics, Apple doesnt allow users to have their own choice, Apple impose their own ways
At the end, iOS make iPhone, quite intuitive to use while ergonomic and rigidity really sucks in my opinion
While in Android, its up to you to do whatever you want (almosts), its depend of app
Llama isnt so complicated, its powerful app that once learned correctly, make a real difference, you will experience what a great Android app can do
As example, it automatically switch to wifi when i go home, when i power on my bluetooth earbuds, music player automatically is launching
Yes Android looks more complicated but when i spent several hundred of dollars/euros, i want to master my device
But whatever i wrote, its up to each own preference ;)

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
saw this thread about sony's version of lollipop on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/35othm/three_flavors_of_lollipop_google_vs_sony_vs_htc/

I gotta say sony is looking good. Very close to stock, im sure it performs as such. I think i wouldnt mind their light skin in return for their unique hardware features (sd card, waterproof, usually great battery life, hopefully reasonably good camera).

many more pics in the link, but sony is the middle, stock on left, htc right

google_sony_htc_ui_1.png

another interesting pic of other UI (far left is sony)

INaLW9h.png

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Well... erm... interesting... looks like no Xperia Z4 Compact has been announced today by Docomo but instead a slightly redesigned and cheaper Z3 compact called the A4.
And that means... we in the West could be waiting for the Xperia Z5 with both full size and compact sizes. The Z5 is being rumoured as a completely new design language and with a totally new camera and lens and software combination.

Google translation::

so-04g-xperia-a4.png

Xperia A4 SO-04G corresponding to rehash of Xperia Z3 Compact SO-02G has been officially announced. Premium 4G non-compliant. Housing in the Xperia Z3 Compact ratio has become slightly larger, the thickness has increased 0.5mm. Magnet charging terminal alive and well.

OS Android 5.0 Lollipop
CPU Snapdragon 801 quad-core 2.5GHz
Memory 2GB
Display 4.6 inches HD resolution
Camera 20.7 million pixels
Battery 2600mAh
Size 127 × 66 × 9.1mm
Weight 129g
Audio Digital noise canceling, high-resolution audio, DSEE HX
Other There microSD slot, waterproof (IP68), wallet, one-seg
To those of Z3 Compact will go into cheaper hand, to will come out under the name of per Xperia J2 Compact also on this unit also anyway SIM free, because you will have also become cheaper price of the unit by the time that, this machine can be said to be the model that should not buy at all immediately after the Release Date.

http://translate.google.com.my/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://smhn.info/&prev=search

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
So, in the West we could very well end this year with 2 Nexus phones, 2 new Sony phones, 2 new iPhones on the market! All shouting high end specs..

And I hate to say it.. but if LG do make a 5.2" Nexus and nail it's design for me, I may have to bite :)

Oh and lets not forget the Note 5 and Note Edge 2.

----------

Lol, Sony is so lost...

No, they aren't lost. They are having to do a lot of rethinking and restructuring to ensure the business survives, which it now is. It was stupid of them to have a new high end device every 6 months though, once a year is plenty. Although it does seem daft to rebrand the Z3 Compact and redesign it into something else instead of just dropping it's price?

I think the Z5 range has the potential to be among the best phones this year.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
----------

[/COLOR]

No, they aren't lost. They are having to do a lot of rethinking and restructuring to ensure the business survives, which it now is. It was stupid of them to have a new high end device every 6 months though, once a year is plenty. Although it does seem daft to rebrand the Z3 Compact and redesign it into something else instead of just dropping it's price?

I think the Z5 range has the potential to be among the best phones this year.

And this is exactly why they are lost, they do not have a concept, they even don't know how to spell "concept"....

And how do you know the Z5 won't be the same again with slightly upgraded hardware?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So, in the West we could very well end this year with 2 Nexus phones, 2 new Sony phones, 2 new iPhones on the market! All shouting high end specs..

And I hate to say it.. but if LG do make a 5.2" Nexus and nail it's design for me, I may have to bite :)

Oh and lets not forget the Note 5 and Note Edge 2.

I don't think you will see a Note Edge 2. I think you see the Note Edge blend into the Note 5 Edge along with the Note 5 similar to what we have in the Galaxy S line.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
And this is exactly why they are lost, they do not have a concept, they even don't know how to spell "concept"....

And how do you know the Z5 won't be the same again with slightly upgraded hardware?

I think they have more of an idea about 'concept' then you do. Considering they have gone from a corporation making losses s back to one in profit in a short time.

And as for the Z5, its what the rumours say, move off this website and you will find plenty of I to about it.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I think they have more of an idea about 'concept' then you do. Considering they have gone from a corporation making losses s back to one in profit in a short time.

I can live with that...

And as for the Z5, its what the rumours say, move off this website and you will find plenty of I to about it.

As for the Z5:
Rumors said the same about the Z4 before it was announced, and you can be VERY sure I am off this website 97% of my reading, so I know the rumors, but as I said, same rumors been about the Z4.

Reactions: jhkingsr

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
As for the Z5:
Rumors said the same about the Z4 before it was announced, and you can be VERY sure I am off this website 97% of my reading, so I know the rumors, but as I said, same rumors been about the Z4.

Well they will redesign the Z5 as this is a new release strategy for Sony now, plus the maker of the best camera modules on the market that all OEMs are scrambling for will use the opportunity to fit its best module and lens, and its software is in desperate need of an update, so expect the rumours to be true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.