Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burger011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Aposter in the yahoo finance message boards madethe following postings.

He says this now:
http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4686874&tid=aapl&sid=4686874&mid=266030

">>Now, the 2 GHz will come later this year (IBM) and end of 2003 or early 2004 (MOT). <<

Before 2 GHz, we might see 1.6 or 1.7 GHz procs in about 6 months.

In 12 months Apple will have 2.3 - 2.5 GHz. "

He said this in December of 2002:
http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=m&board=4686874&tid=aapl&sid=4686874&mid=259543

"Let's just say I got some info from their vendor.

1.4 is coming in January and next gen (G5) might be ready for Q3 (more likely in Q4).
They always try to meet the MacWorld dates (Jan, Aug) to introduce new products. "

Based on the December post, he has a great track record. Any thoughts?

Burger

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Interesting Info from Yahoo...

Originally posted by burger011
Aposter in the yahoo finance message boards madethe following postings.

He says this now:
http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4686874&tid=aapl&sid=4686874&mid=266030

">>Now, the 2 GHz will come later this year (IBM) and end of 2003 or early 2004 (MOT). <<

Before 2 GHz, we might see 1.6 or 1.7 GHz procs in about 6 months.

In 12 months Apple will have 2.3 - 2.5 GHz. "

He said this in December of 2002:
http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=m&board=4686874&tid=aapl&sid=4686874&mid=259543

"Let's just say I got some info from their vendor.

1.4 is coming in January and next gen (G5) might be ready for Q3 (more likely in Q4).
They always try to meet the MacWorld dates (Jan, Aug) to introduce new products. "

Based on the December post, he has a great track record. Any thoughts?

Burger

so the G5 (presumably the power PC 970) would be out in the 4th quarter. We know thats supposed to debut and 1.8 ghz on the high end, and yet 12 months from now, its going to be 2.5-2.8 mhz. Thats a window of a few short months to increase clock speed that much, not to mention the debute of a new machine and then a major speed update abuot 3 months later. Doesn't sound possible to me.

If things go well, maybe we'll see those kinds of speed next year, but I'm not holding my breathe on that.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Am i mistaken in my understanding that the IBM chip will not use the "G5" moniker, since it is not the 5th generation of the Motorola chip?

thanks,

vic

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I think Apple can give it any name they want.

And IBM has stated to switch to a .09 nm or whatever small sized process soon after the introduction of the PPC 970. Smaller processes make cpu's run cooler and can therefore be clocked higher. And going from .13 to .09 is a big step. Perhaps these clockspeeds can be reached quickly.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Re: interesting

Originally posted by theranch
Let's hope for Summer MacWorld in Boston for the IBM chips to be introduced.

I too hope that the announcement will come this summer. But, it will come out of New York, and not Boston. Boston MacWorlds start in 2004.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by vixapphire
Am i mistaken in my understanding that the IBM chip will not use the "G5" moniker, since it is not the 5th generation of the Motorola chip?

thanks,

vic

IBM makes the G3s that are currently in iBooks... So you never know

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Not that this is an unreasonable rumor, but the yahoo boards are not the best place to find solid information.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
True, Vector. I just cannot stand Yahoo. Hearing about it makes me sick.

Today in my Chemistry class a few of the students were talking about how gravity has the same speed as light, or something like that.

>(strider) and yet 12 months from now, its going to be 2.5-2.8 mhz

:cool:

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I'd like to see a 2 GHz 970 in machines this fall, but this person did claim that there was a Macworld in August...
Also, last time I checked, Apple wasn't involved in MWNY03, or any other summer expo.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Re: Interesting Info from Yahoo...

Originally posted by strider42

so the G5 (presumably the power PC 970) would be out in the 4th quarter. We know thats supposed to debut and 1.8 ghz on the high end, and yet 12 months from now, its going to be 2.5-2.8 mhz. Thats a window of a few short months to increase clock speed that much, not to mention the debute of a new machine and then a major speed update abuot 3 months later. Doesn't sound possible to me.

If things go well, maybe we'll see those kinds of speed next year, but I'm not holding my breathe on that.

After the 970 debuts IBM will go to a 970+ which will clock up to 2.4ghz. Whether taking the 970 from .13 to .09 is the 970+ isn't clear yet. The 970 should come out in the fall, not sure that Apple would announce at MWNY because it won't be ready until a few months later (unless something has changed). The next bump won't be until Jan/Feb 2004. We don't what the actual speeds Apple will release in the Fall, I;m guessing 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz & 1.8ghz. If Apple doesn't release a 1.8ghz, then they can use that as the bump in Jan/Feb 04 and allow more time for IBM to get higher speeds.

Either way, should be a fun year.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I'd actually be more conservative in my guessing the next batch of chips from Apple. Remember the Sahara and IBM's claims of a 2GHz Sahara? Exactly, it never happened (the 1GHz version of the chip just came about).

So, I'm guessing we'll see 1.6GHz as a max with the next PowerMac revision. It would be a small step, but remember, the move from the G3 to the G4 brought no speed bump, only architecture changes.

I'm just being skeptical, but 2.5GHz? That's a jump of 1.1GHz in one year's span. I'd put Apple at 2.0-2.2GHz in twelve months at the most.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Re: Re: interesting

Originally posted by RBMaraman
I too hope that the announcement will come this summer.

The original poster states that we might see 1.6 - 1.7 ghz in 6 months. This is realistic but would NOT be the IBM 970. It would be a faster MOTO 7455 or possibly the 7457. IBM has already said that it will begin mass production of the 970 on October 15th, and they have a history of being farely accurate when it comes to announcements like these.

This would also fall in line with the original poster's claim that we will see the 2 ghz [desktop IBM 970] later [3rd, most likely 4th quarter] this year.

Motorola will continue making the chips for the laptops and will reach 2ghz more than likely, as the original poster states, at the end of this year or the beginning of '04 [possibly MWSF '04, if Apple still participates in MW].

Originally posted by RBMaraman
But, it will come out of New York, and not Boston. Boston MacWorlds start in 2004.

We'll probably see speed bumps and better GPU's in both the desktop and laptop lines, and HOPEFULLY a new digital lifestyle device.

Plus whatever other surprises Apple may currently be working on like more MS Office replacements for word processing [Word] and spreadsheets [Excel]. Possibly integrate iCal, Address Book, and Mail to rival MS's calendar/contact/e-mail program Outlook ?

Definately a final version of Safari.

I believe that this year is a ramp-up to '04 where Apple will be MS free [Apple branded Office suite?] and celebrating of the Mac's 20th anniversary.:D

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Good Point...

Originally posted by Chaszmyr

IBM makes the G3s that are currently in iBooks... So you never know

I'd rather have Apple break away from it's 5 year old "G" naming convention to something totally new for what I see is the beginning of the new age for Apple.

Also to coincide with the Mac's 20th Anniversary:D

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
...but this person did claim that there was a Macworld in August...

Yup. I raised an eybrow on that one too. Honest mistake maybe?

Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Also, last time I checked, Apple wasn't involved in MWNY03

Not confirmed that Apple will not be participating as of yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.