Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I know that the maximum capacity for these Powerbooks is 2gb.

I just acquired one with 1gb installed, and when I checked my DDR-2 drawer could only manage to come up with a bunch of 512mb sticks and a single 2gb stick.

Is there any chance of a single 2gb stick working in this computer and reading at full capacity? I know that in some MDDs, for example, one can install two 1gb sticks and they will work fine at full capacity. I'm hoping something similar will be the case with the DLSD.

I'm really just trying to avoid buying RAM, although I will if I need to.

And, of course, if no one knows the answer I'll just use the old standby of "try it and see."

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Is your 1gb split as 2 sticks of 512? Also, I'm pretty sure the single stick would work

Someone here said it worked, with one empty ram slot.

I have some 1 gig chips somewhere. What happened to the DLSD PB I sent?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Should work, as someone here did confirm. I did the same with a Mac Mini 1,1, which also has a 2GB limit. It would work with 2x1GB or 1x2GB sticks but any RAM, which took it over that limit would not be registered.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
I actually have two 1GB stick of PC3200U in my MDD and it works just fine.
I don't know about the PowerBooks though...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Someone here said it worked, with one empty ram slot.

I have some 1 gig chips somewhere. What happened to the DLSD PB I sent?

It's still waiting for me to spend some time with it.

I've been so busy finishing up my master's thesis the past few months that I haven't had time to do much of anything. There are a lot of projects like this(and the 12" PBs) that I'm looking forward to tackling in the coming months.

I did switch one of the two top cases you sent onto my other DLSD, as it had a huge amount of wear on one side of the wrist rest(to the point where an area about 3" wide and 4" long was down to bare plastic).

In any case, thank you to everyone for confirming that it will work fine with a single 2gb stick. I'll try and report back later today, but trust that you all are correct.

As for what's in it now-I haven't had the memory door off of it yet so don't know but suspect it's 2x512.

I did the same with a Mac Mini 1,1, which also has a 2GB limit. It would work with 2x1GB or 1x2GB sticks but any RAM, which took it over that limit would not be registered.

In the worst case, I'll take the 2x1gb sticks out of my Mini 1,1 and put the 2gb in it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I believe a single 2 GB stick will work based on what I have heard, but adding anything more will not work at all. You will have to "try it and see".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.