Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
My wife and I both have Androids, and I have a Macbook which I use iMessages on occasionally. Right now my wife and I chat via Hangouts so that we don't use text messages.

If my wife gets an iPhone, and I stay with the Android, how will texts/iMessage work between Android and Messages on the Mac? I mean, I know it'll be SMS when I'm on my phone, but if I sign into Messages, will they change to iMessages so we don't pay for the texts? And will the changeover be transparent to my wife? (It's no big deal if I have to do something to make the change each time, but any barrier for her and its going to be a dealbreaker.)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The droid won't work with iMessage obviously.
The phone number associated with iMessages SIM card would need to be in an iPhone.
The iMessage will work between the Mac and iPhone only.
You could use any other 3rd party messenger service Like what's app or hangouts, Facebook messenger etc.

Darsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I think I wasn't clear.

I'm on an Android phone, texting with my wife on an iPhone. I open my laptop and sign into iMessage on Messages, and send her a message there. From her end, will anything change? Will it be one unified conversation? Will messages be text messages still or iMessages?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Might be best to continuing using Hangouts on the phones and even on the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.