Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeC1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2015
So I have had my iMac for nearly 3 years now and it has done a great job and ran perfectly. I also got into games and started playing League of Legends. Now everything has been running extremely smoothing never had problems until yesterday morning. I usually play around 60 fps and now it drops to 30 fps and doesn't return to 60. After that then I also noticed other games were not running smooth and the computer in general was feel very slow. Im lost at what to do to fix this as I have repaired the disks and there is no errors and did a hardware check and everything seems fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also ask if any info is not clear.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Just to get this question out of the way: did you try rebooting to solve the problem?

I wouldn't immediately jump to assume that there's a hardware issue. Have you recently installed any new programs, or done any major software updates? If you open Activity Monitor, how is the CPU load? Sort by "% CPU" (click on the % CPU tab so that it's in descending order - it should look like "% CPU v"). Does it seem like there's any one process using 100% or more? Switch over to the Memory tab. How is your Memory Pressure? Is the bar in the green, or is it high into the yellow or red?

JoeC1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2015
Nothing is using over 100% of the CPU and the memory bar is always in green. I formatted my hard drive and re installed yosemite but same problems is occurring of significant frame rate drops in games and also computer seems to be running slowly in general. And yes I did try just rebooting when the problem first happened.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I would guess a GPU issue

Nothing is using over 100% of the CPU and the memory bar is always in green. I formatted my hard drive and re installed yosemite but same problems is occurring of significant frame rate drops in games and also computer seems to be running slowly in general. And yes I did try just rebooting when the problem first happened.

I would install GFXstatus software and see if you can force both graphics cards to wok. If the dedicated graphics card is dead and it is automatically using HD4000 instead you'd get that sort of frame rate drop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.