Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Ok, here is my problem. My iPad air came with free Iwork and iLife apps suit but I didn't opt to download it at the time. It's said that I can download it and it time from the App Store. So today i tried to download it only to find that there is no free version option anymore. The only option is the one with in-purchase already included.
Is there anything i can do about it?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You should have it - you might need to sign in and out of the app store (that’s what I had to to) and they should be available. You can then get it from your purchased area.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I tried it, but it did not work. Garageband is still not available in purchased section, and in shop section its 5 euro.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I tried it, but it did not work. Garageband is still not available in purchased section, and in shop section its 5 euro.
The App Store knows whether you are licensed to use Garageband or not. Search for it in the App Store. In my case, I also have iWork, but Garageband is listed for purchase at $4.99 US. If you paid for the app or if you are entitled to a free copy, then you will be able to download it. If it is already installed on your iPad, then you may [OPEN] Garageband from within the App Store.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I belive that garageband was 100% free with every new ios device at the time ipad air was released. When i activated ipad i got message to install it, but i didnt. But it should be available in app store. Well in my purchased section there is nothing and in app store is 5 euro. I contacted itunnes help service and they said that I should logout and login in iTunes but that didn't help.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
October 2014 it went from free to a paid app. If you didn't download it before that date then you will be charged. If you did download it before that date then it will be in your purchase history and free to download again.

WeatherMate

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
san francisco, california
October 2014 it went from free to a paid app. If you didn't download it before that date then you will be charged. If you did download it before that date then it will be in your purchase history and free to download again.
Turning garage band into a paid app is really ruthless of the developers. However, I was luck to download it before October 2014.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have purchased my iPhone early this year, and garage band has been Preinstalled in my iPhone. Now I can download it without charging it as many times as possible.

So, I think, if you are eligible to get it for free, you will get it for free automatically. No action required.

All apps not installed on your device will only show get if it is free, or a price tag if it is not free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.