Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mpowerbook182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Hello I haven't posted in along time. Recently though my powerbook will only charge its battery when it's turned off or in sleep mode. I have tried resetting the pram and my pb does not fall into the battery firmware update. Any help would be great.

Thanks

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I had this problem with my iBook for a few days, but it seemingly fixed itself - haven't had the problem for 2 weeks or so. Are you updated to 10.4.5 with the security updates? I doubt those made a difference, but ya never knooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Either way, it could just be a matter of time for you. Or madjew could be right. Or both.

I'm real hungry.

Mpowerbook182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
mad jew said:
Try resetting your PMU and then maybe calibrate your battery, just for fun.

Calibrating a battery involves running the machine from battery until it falls asleep through lack of power, and then charging it up to 100%. :)

I have tried these both but it didn't fix it. My computer has now been at 3% for some time (pluged in), since i have needed to use it all day, i will let it charge later when i can put into sleep mode. Thanks for the ideas sofar, hopefully i don't have to take it in. I think i still have a few months of applecare, but last time i had a problem it was a pain, they tried to fix it 3 times and finally ended up giving me a new pb. thanks again.

Mpowerbook182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Update, I let it charge in sleep mode and when it was finally charged the ring did not turn green it just turned off, even in sleep mode.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Do you have another charger or another battery you can use to see where the problem lies? Either way, I think this is probably a job for Apple. Just tell them the steps you've taken to fix it and they hopefully won't mess you around too much. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.