Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your rMB struggle scrolling this Apple webpage on Safari?

• This page scrolls with lag / hesitation on my rMB

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • The is page scrolls smoothly on my rMB

Votes: 28 63.6%

• Total voters

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
lags for me, on both safari and firefox.

I also have a non-hd mkv file playing. (shouldn't be a huge issue giving this is 2015)

headcase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Interesting that some of us aren't experiencing any lag. I wonder if we're still dealing with varying QA issues per device from Apple.

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
No lag for me. The page does have a few animations and things that might make it look a bit laggy?
Anyway it scrolls smoothly (same as a rMBP 15" 2012) for me.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I've found that by reducing transparency in System Preferences-Accessibility-Reduce Transparency has taken all apparent lag away. It's super smooth and fast now!

headcase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I've found that by reducing transparency in System Preferences-Accessibility-Reduce Transparency has taken all apparent lag away. It's super smooth and fast now!

I've had Transparency turned off since the day I picked mine up. I think the issue is independent of that.

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
so, Headcase, what exactly do you mean by "serious lag"?

I've been playing around with trying to reproduce some lag by running lots of other intensive stuff, and I still see no lag.

It seems like roughly 80/20 on the vote, and that's what the other threads seem to be showing too...

A video of what you mean might be helpful. Especially if it has the Activity Monitor CPU Usage Meter showing on the video too

And/or, what else is running at the time... what's the % load on the CPU before you start, etc...

And, has the machine had time to "settle down" over the first few days of it's life....has it finished all its syncing and indexing and stuff...

I dunno, I'm just trying to think of options. As you say, is it QA on some of the devices? It is strange that 20% seem to be having issues

(And as a comparison, how about the simple un-animated iPod page on the Apple site, does that scroll fine? And if it does, how is the iMac one different?)

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I have yet to receive my rMB, but it lags like hell on my rMBP 15"... I'm curious as to why some people are experiencing lag (including myself.)

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Yikes! I'm using a $200 Chromebox and that page is getting ZERO lag.

How can a $1500 MacBook show lag whereas my cheap chromebox has none?

Kiwi 99

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I'm trying, but I just can't reproduce this "lag".

Can someone describe what they mean? Which (if any) of these:

(a) when I scroll the screen doesn't instantly respond
(b) the motion on the screen doesn't match my scrolling
(c) the stuff on the screen freezes momentarily mid-stream
(d) the motion of the stuff on the screen is jumpy
(e) anything else?
(I don't see any of those, and that's all I can think of)

I do notice when playing with that page, that depending on which side of the screen you're scrolling on, the 2 sides can move at different speeds to each other. Maybe that gives an impression of lag?

And anyone who does see lag, do you also see any lag on this simple page?
http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Interesting that some of us aren't experiencing any lag. I wonder if we're still dealing with varying QA issues per device from Apple.

More likely we are dealing with variances in personal perception and an extremely objective "test".

----------

Yikes! I'm using a $200 Chromebox and that page is getting ZERO lag.

How can a $1500 MacBook show lag whereas my cheap chromebox has none?

Because it doesn't.

usernames.taken

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Australia
The word lag doesn't even make sense. No one knows what these people are even talking about? Delay opening a window or web site? Delay closing a tab? Delay with javascript rendering resizing of elements in Facebook? Delay with the web browser re-rendering a table when you resize the window? No idea what this guy is talking about.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
It's not butter smooth for me on the rMB, but better than Chrome on my Windows 8.1 Lenovo Ultrabook which has a much faster i5 processor built in.

I'll try my 2011 iMac when I get home from work.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
For those unsure about what represents lag / hesitation, let me keep this simple: when scrolling, you shouldn't experience any delays / stutter -- the page should scroll buttery smooth. Most websites scroll fine for me (buttery smooth like here on MacRumors), but some pages like the iMac 5K page from Apple seems to push the limits of the rMB that I currently am testing out. Ironic that the problem occurs on an Apple computer, using and Apple-developed browser, to view an Apple product (iMac 5K in this instance). In my opinion, usability problems like this shouldn't happen.

What this poll is possibly starting to reveal, is either a variance of hardware QC for this specific model, or its software related. However, I'm discounting the software probability, given I had two rMBs with clean 10.10.3 installs, one which had exhibited some apparent graphic lagging, and the other was running fine. I'm testing out this third one now on a clean 10.10.3, with what appears to possess graphic-related issues.

Last edited:

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2015
Lagging on my rMBP 15" mid-2012.

I remember trying the same page on a rMB at an apple store and was disappointed over this.

I don't get why anyone get fired, it seems just someone sucks somewhere at their job. And I would say it's the Apple web developers.

----------

Yeah, we speak lagging in term of scrolling. When you scroll, the page sutters because the images are so heavy, shouldn't happen, I agree with OP.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Lagging on my rMBP 15" mid-2012.

I remember trying the same page on a rMB at an apple store and was disappointed over this.

I don't get why anyone get fired, it seems just someone sucks somewhere at their job. And I would say it's the Apple web developers.

----------

Yeah, we speak lagging in term of scrolling. When you scroll, the page sutters because the images are so heavy, shouldn't happen, I agree with OP.

As this page scrolls fine on my MBA, I'm still thinking its not the fault of the web developers, per se. I just hope its not something applicable to all the rMBs, as that would mean its a matter of us finding a solution (outside of waiting/hoping for a software update to remedy) vs. waiting until the next-gen rMB comes out.

Last edited:

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Here's a video of scrolling through the iMac Retina page (Safari): https://vid.me/uo2i

1.2GHz/512, I DO NOT have transparency reduced (I want the full lag experience please).

Started a brand new session of Safari in private mode (cleared cache, etc.), first time, I scrolled down in equal, even amounts (you can see this by looking at the scroll bar on the far right). Scrolled back up normally.

Then I tried scrolling down then up a second time as quickly and as rapidly as I could.

I'm not a good enough judge to determine if it's laggy enough or not. Maybe I'm not scrolling properly either. Someone tell me how to scroll?

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Here's a video of scrolling through the iMac Retina page (Safari): https://vid.me/uo2i

1.2GHz/512, I DO NOT have transparency reduced (I want the full lag experience please).

Started a brand new session of Safari in private mode (cleared cache, etc.), first time, I scrolled down in equal, even amounts (you can see this by looking at the scroll bar on the far right). Scrolled back up normally.

Then I tried scrolling down then up a second time as quickly and as rapidly as I could.

I'm not a good enough judge to determine if it's laggy enough or not. Maybe I'm not scrolling properly either. Someone tell me how to scroll?

I have the same experience, with the same configuration. I voted Laggy

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014

Compared to safari on my 2009 27" iMac (2560x1440) it is laggy, but just as "bad" as Chrome.

In other words, on my iMac, that page is laggy in chrome, but smooooth in Safari..

headcase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
To keep all things equal, I'm hoping people focus their test on Safari. And given this is a webpage owned by Apple, you'd think it would be optimized to run well on their own browser, for goodness sake.

Either way, still interesting how some folks say its smooth scrolling on their rMB, while others like myself are seeing some real hesitation on the graphics. Either a difference in QC of the units, or some people are less sensitive to the lag. But as I said earlier in the thread, I noticed a difference between units before I returned one, so I'm still thinking its QC related. We shall see.

11fajado

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
loooooool anyone who says that their rMB scrolls admirably on that page is kidding themselves.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA

That's exactly how mine looks scrolling that page. 1.2,512 rMB here. I voted "laggy" on the poll. It's choppy. Not buttery. Doesn't matter too much, as the webpage is still usable and does scroll functionally. But not perfectly beautifully. This is what people mean by "lag" on the rMB. We mean a choppy, stuttering look and feel.
I personally believe all rMBs do it, but not all users notice it. I don't really think that some are buttery, glassy smooth in all scrolling and animations, while others have more objective choppiness. I think it's all completely subjective, with some users being more sensitive to the choppiness than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.