Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I'm wondering if I'm alone in this, and I don't mean to be harsh.

But I'm considering purchasing the 12" retina, so I went to youtube to look at reviews/opinions..

And some people post the dumbest info!

I've heard so many "Hey everybody, I'm *soandso* from *some obscure place I've never heard of" like we're suppose to know who they are. Sorry, but if you're trying to make a name for yourself, you do it by producing quality material. Not plastering your name everywhere and trying to force yourself on people. It's really annoying. Also, do you really want your name plastered out there while you're going through your awkward phase, and (hopefully) learning how to produce quality material?

Other reviews - the guy clearly has the computer, but he spends most of the review looking directly in the camera and talking. The worst part - it's about the most generic info that can be found anywhere. The review should be focused on the product, not fulfilling your narcissistic needs..

And yet others - how many times do I need to hear the same spiel about the new keyboard/force touch, or bench marks? Please please please don't just read from the Apple website as well.

No, I don't need you to spend 5 minutes running bench marks - it's been done to death already and the info is out there for those seeking.

Instead of hearing for the 500th time "So as you can see, it got a few hundred points less than *insert other computer* - tell us what this means in day to day use! Does that mean it lags doing something the other computer does easily? Tell me why I should care that it got a lower score in that particular bench mark.

And plleaassee stop assuming everyone games. One video was one guy just staring in the camera sharing his thoughts. He said absolutely not to purchase because it doesn't play games well.

And further - how are there less comparisons vs the 11" air, and many vs the 13"? Isn't the 11" air more directly comparable, and what most people seeking something ultra portable would be coming from/have in their mind to purchase?

Finishing - please be concise! 40 minutes for a "review?" No thanks! This isn't lord of the rings. If you can't figure out what you're going to say about a product within a reasonable amount of time, maybe this isn't for you?

It just really amazes me how people don't consider doing something different with their review. Do they watch each others review? Do they see everyone else doing the same benchmarks, and think "I know what will be great! I'll do that bench mark too! And I won't explain how it will affect the user either, I'll just post the numbers!"

/end rant

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm wondering if I'm alone in this, and I don't mean to be harsh.

But I'm considering purchasing the 12" retina, so I went to youtube to look at reviews/opinions..

And some people post the dumbest info!

I've heard so many "Hey everybody, I'm *soandso* from *some obscure place I've never heard of" like we're suppose to know who they are. Sorry, but if you're trying to make a name for yourself, you do it by producing quality material. Not plastering your name everywhere and trying to force yourself on people. It's really annoying. Also, do you really want your name plastered out there while you're going through your awkward phase, and (hopefully) learning how to produce quality material?

Other reviews - the guy clearly has the computer, but he spends most of the review looking directly in the camera and talking. The worst part - it's about the most generic info that can be found anywhere. The review should be focused on the product, not fulfilling your narcissistic needs..

And yet others - how many times do I need to hear the same spiel about the new keyboard/force touch, or bench marks? Please please please don't just read from the Apple website as well.

No, I don't need you to spend 5 minutes running bench marks - it's been done to death already and the info is out there for those seeking.

Instead of hearing for the 500th time "So as you can see, it got a few hundred points less than *insert other computer* - tell us what this means in day to day use! Does that mean it lags doing something the other computer does easily? Tell me why I should care that it got a lower score in that particular bench mark.

And plleaassee stop assuming everyone games. One video was one guy just staring in the camera sharing his thoughts. He said absolutely not to purchase because it doesn't play games well.

And further - how are there less comparisons vs the 11" air, and many vs the 13"? Isn't the 11" air more directly comparable, and what most people seeking something ultra portable would be coming from/have in their mind to purchase?

Finishing - please be concise! 40 minutes for a "review?" No thanks! This isn't lord of the rings. If you can't figure out what you're going to say about a product within a reasonable amount of time, maybe this isn't for you?

It just really amazes me how people don't consider doing something different with their review. Do they watch each others review? Do they see everyone else doing the same benchmarks, and think "I know what will be great! I'll do that bench mark too! And I won't explain how it will affect the user either, I'll just post the numbers!"

/end rant

Welcome to the 21st century. Quantity over quality I'm afraid. You just need to spend a while separating the wheat from the chaff.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I love when they use the same 3 shots of the product over and over and over and over and over again. Is it really that hard to record tape more than 3, 3 second shots of the product?

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Saabkyle is proof you can have enthusiasm and quality. :)

Unfortunately the allure of striking Biebergold (aka "Internet Fame" that turns out to provide real money) on YouTube is the main reason people begin in the first place.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I find it hilarious when you first see a slickly produced intro - leading into the main scene shot with poor lighting and basement style echo-chamber audio while speaking.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
There are genuinely good and talented content creators out there. Unfortunately we are in the midst of a YouTube money gold rush. Anyone with a webcam is now a "youtuber". Fair enough but it means a lot of worthless content to siphon through.

For tech reviews I generally stick to Lisa Gade from mobiletechreview, MKBHD or Techno Buffalo. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten :-/

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting thread.

Well, I suspect that many of the individuals who upload reviews do not script and plan and think about what it is they really want to say before they actually record the review.

When I was teaching, I usually spent several hours of preparation for every hour of contact time with a class.

However, it is clear to me that some of the reviews I have watched have had little though, preparation and planning to the actual content, rather than the visuals.

Before recording and uploading a review, they may need to ask themselves what it is that people would like to know about the product that they are reviewing, and try to address that.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Don't forget the reviews that start with unboxing, as if I want to spend 8 minutes watching you open a stupid box.

I also never understood why they always mash the keyboard to show you how good it is.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I really enjoyed the review I watched before I got my Nikon. The kid went through the effort of special effects when unboxing. Yeah, I agree that unboxing is pretty annoying, but if you make it fun and quick, then sure, why not?

Even if you plan things out, if you don't care for it, then it's going to come out like that. I have used computers for 24 years now, but I would never review one because I really don't care about them in general, they're boxes you get work done on, browse the internet, and whatever else. The software side of it has always interested me, I just love, love, love applications and doing stuff. But I could care less about it having 16 GB of RAM, turbo graphics, etc.

And yeah, it's all about the subscribers, money, and just having something to do for a lot of these people. They don't enjoy the process, they lack the willingness to improve, and focus too much on bad marketing tactics.

And they probably watch other bad reviews instead of understanding what people tend to like.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Don't forget the reviews that start with unboxing, as if I want to spend 8 minutes watching you open a stupid box.

I also never understood why they always mash the keyboard to show you how good it is.

Or try to bend an iPhone 6 to show you how fought it is. YouTube was flooded with that stuff for a while.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
and your posts are usually nothing more than rants about other people's posts and lots of whining, and asking obscure questions just to, in my opinion, see your name in print.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Usually i just think *they* use them that way everyday.. Then i feel allot better for it.

It's a review, not brain surgery.. just ones opinion, or several, nothing more.. But most youtubes take to lure on reviews as though "well its good for them, it must be also good for me, because someone else said so" sorry buddy...

which is why i ignore all of them, because whats one to some may not be good for u.... only true way is to test it and see for yourself... since u may get hooked and the marketing crud that goes round for trying to make a review better than it really is...

You get it home, and suddenly half of the stuff isn't true in the review. But its all to easy to get taken in,, like any addiction to anything.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.