Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Mar 21, 2006, 05:23 AM   #1
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

How strong are your beliefs

Here is the ultimate example. While there is the example of the young of Racheal Joy Scott, truly the ultimate example, this one is "up there".

Quote:
Despite the fact the hardline Taliban regime is no longer in power, an Afghan man faces possible execution for allegedly abandoning his Islamic roots and becoming a Christian.

"Yes that's true, a man has converted to Christianity. He's being tried in one of our courts," Supreme Court judge Ansarullah Mawlavizada told the Middle East Times.

The case centers on Abdul Rahman, believed to be 41, who converted from Islam to Christianity some 16 years ago. His relatives reportedly notified authorities about the conversion.

The constitution in Afghanistan is based on Shariah law, which states any Muslim who rejects his or her religion should be sentenced to death.
and more....
stubeeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:03 AM   #2
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Islam is a tolerant religion isnt it? As long as you stay Islamic it is. This is the root of the problem in this part of the world. Brainwashing by another stupid religion.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:05 AM   #3
DerChef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef
Here is the ultimate example. While there is the example of the young of Racheal Joy Scott, truly the ultimate example, this one is "up there".

and more....
It says clearly in the Qu ran, quoted directly from the prophet anybody who changes his religion "Kill Him" (I will try to find the exact quote)

It just a more extreme example of similar to those those who believe the earth was created in 6 days
DerChef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:31 PM   #4
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

I had posted this a bit back and lee picked it up in a closed thread.

I'm bumping it, but everyone play nice!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 06:54 PM   #5
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerChef
It says clearly in the Qu ran, quoted directly from the prophet anybody who changes his religion "Kill Him"
It says clearly in the Old Testament that God commanded the Israelites to slaughter every man, woman and child in the Promised Land.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:07 PM   #6
maxterpiece
macrumors 6502a

There is plenty of stuff like that in many religion that is no longer followed or no longer "interpreted literally". The reason those kind of laws are enforced in places like Afghanistan is because it takes time for a society to move forward. It takes time and STABILITY. Somethign that hasn't existed in Afghanistan in recent history.... When there are resources and there is order, minorities fight for rights and things change. Nothing changes overnight - even with the almighty US there to guide the Afghans in the right direction. I'll leave it at that.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 03:49 AM   #7
solvs
macrumors 601

Mohammad was a Christian.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:55 AM   #8
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
Mohammad was a Christian.
Satan fell from God's grace too!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:21 PM   #9
solvs
macrumors 601

And Jesus was a Jew.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:49 PM   #10
XNine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
And Jesus was a Jew.
So was the Doctor of Hitler's Mother...
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:59 PM   #11
aquajet
macrumors 68020

Fred Phelps is a Christian.

aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:13 PM   #12
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

Friedrich Nietzche died insane.

He was also plagued throughout life with attacks of dizziness, headaches, and numerous physical ailments.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:42 PM   #13
Kingsly
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk
It says clearly in the Old Testament that God commanded the Israelites to slaughter every man, woman and child in the Promised Land.
Do you have the verse? I'd like to read it.
Kingsly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:47 PM   #14
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsly
Do you have the verse? I'd like to read it.
You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20
Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10
Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16
Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7
Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13
Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20
Numbers 31:17-18 God commands Moses to kill all the Medianite people including children and women. To top it off he commands that the virgins be saved for later raping by Moses’ soldiers.
Deuteronomy 3:3-7 God ordered Moses’ army to “utterly destroy” 60 cities, killing all the women and children within!
Deuteronomy 7:12 God ordered the Israelites to kill all the people of seven nations. He even adds, “show no mercy unto them”.
Deuteronomy 20:16 God orders the Israelites to kill everything that breathes in the cities that he gives them for an inheritance

Will that do for starters?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:00 PM   #15
vniow
macrumors 603

Quote:
I googled some of those and came across this site in the results: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Interesting stuff.
vniow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:11 PM   #16
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vniow
I googled some of those and came across this site in the results: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Interesting stuff.
How's this for a pithy rebuttal?
Quote:

FAQ 11. How could God be so cruel as to have all the children in the land of Canaan killed?

A: Children often suffer the consequences of their parents sins whether God directly intervenes or not. Think of what these children would have suffered if God had not intervened and taken their lives. They would have grown up in abusive sinful circumstances that allowed both child sacrifice and all manner of abusive sexual sins. In most cases, when these children became adults they would have repeated the same sins on the generation to follow. Look at this from God's point of view. To Him, death for these children was merely a transition from miserable earthly existence to a heavenly presence with Him. Further, He has spared them from an eternity in hell if they continued in the sins of their parents. Consider also the condition of these children if God had only commanded that their parents be put to death. Now he would have left a nation full of embittered orphans. These children would not understand why their parents were taken from them and would grow up to hate Israel and God. Many of these children would have already learned the ways of their parents and would pollute Israel with their ways once they were grown.
Neat, huh? I bet whoever wrote this twaddle thinks god whispers the answers in his ear. Sounds like the Doctrine of Pre-Emption™ to me.
http://www.westpalmbeachchurchofchri...tions.asp?ID=2
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:11 PM   #17
Kingsly
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks.

Interensting:
Link
Link

And finally:
Podcast from that church
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:02 PM   #18
Desertrat
macrumors newbie

I wish the DNA researchers would find the "power gene"--that gene that causes people to want to boss other folks around. And the "cruelty gene" while they're at it.

Test everybody. When you find those particular genes, exercise retroactive birth control...

, 'Rat
Desertrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 01:04 AM   #19
xsedrinam
macrumors 68040

"An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". I like Tevye's outlook and response to that. "Great, then the whole world would be blind and toothless." from Fiddler on the Roof
xsedrinam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 01:41 AM   #20
Kingsly
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsedrinam
"An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". I like Tevye's outlook and response to that. "Great, then the whole world would be blind and toothless." from Fiddler on the Roof
Good quote!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:59 AM   #21
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka
So was the Doctor of Hitler's Mother...
So was Hitler, I've heard. Though maybe it doesn't count when it's on your Dad's side. I don't know what his Mom was, though I can't really say I care.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:14 AM   #22
Lyle
macrumors 68000

In an almost certainly futile attempt to bring this thread back around to the original topic:
Quote:
An Afghan man threatened with the death penalty for converting to Christianity has been released from prison, senior Western diplomats said Tuesday. His whereabouts were not immediately known.
Link

My bet's on Disney World.
Lyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:41 PM   #23
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

I am very worried, the general populace will probably do what the government could not, and execute a man based on his religious beliefs.

How can their people/culture be assimilated into the world culture? and please, save me the US is the problem with this one too. The Taliban was wacking heads off and dragging women to their death in stadiums prior to the invasion. All countries alienate some or most now and then, this just seems particularly egregious.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:31 PM   #24
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
I am very worried, the general populace will probably do what the government could not, and execute a man based on his religious beliefs.

How can their people/culture be assimilated into the world culture? and please, save me the US is the problem with this one too. The Taliban was wacking heads off and dragging women to their death in stadiums prior to the invasion. All countries alienate some or most now and then, this just seems particularly egregious.
On this, we agree wholeheartedly. If you want to be a part of the world, act like it.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:41 AM   #25
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
and please, save me the US is the problem with this one too.
I don't think anyone's saying that. This is all Taliban wackiness. I'll bet some people would be upset if you go from Christian to Islam here, but I doubt you'd get your head cut off. I'd hope.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues