Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I currently have the Gear 2 and love it. But Samsung's Next Gear is what I'm really looking forward to. And from these new leaks on Sammobile it looks very interesting indeed.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/12/samsungs-gear-sdk-reveals-orbis-design-ui-and-specifications/

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Except it's running Tizen and will likely only work with select Samsung devices. Pass.

Tizen has in many ways been better than Android Wear up until now though, but Google have caught up quite a bit with the latest update.

That being said, I would love to see a 2.0 version of the Gear S - preferrably with Android Wear instead of Tizen. That would be a guaranteed day 1 purchase for me since I already consider the Gear S to be the best smartwatch today by a huge margin. That it does not try too hard to mimic the look of an oldfashioned watch is just a bonus in my book - I do not see why these devices have to be forced into a form factor that only hinders the possibilities.

PS: The round version of Gear looks interesting though - if it has both GPS and support for a SIM card (and the traditional watch looks that lots of people seem to like) it will surely offer a lot more than the Apple Watch.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Tizen has in many ways been better than Android Wear up until now though, but Google have caught up quite a bit with the latest update.

That being said, I would love to see a 2.0 version of the Gear S - preferrably with Android Wear instead of Tizen. That would be a guaranteed day 1 purchase for me since I already consider the Gear S to be the best smartwatch today by a huge margin. That it does not try too hard to mimic the look of an oldfashioned watch is just a bonus in my book - I do not see why these devices have to be forced into a form factor that only hinders the possibilities.

PS: The round version of Gear looks interesting though - if it has both GPS and support for a SIM card (and the traditional watch looks that lots of people seem to like) it will surely offer a lot more than the Apple Watch.

My prejudice against Tizen is only due to its limited compatibility. In the same way someone won't choose an Apple Watch because of its incompatibility with anything other than iOS, I'll never use one of Samsung's Tizen smart watches because they only work with Samsung phones, something I won't be using anytime soon.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
My prejudice against Tizen is only due to its limited compatibility. In the same way someone won't choose an Apple Watch because of its incompatibility with anything other than iOS, I'll never use one of Samsung's Tizen smart watches because they only work with Samsung phones, something I won't be using anytime soon.

Let's not forget Samsung made a major announcement at CES this year. They are one of the major players and pushers for IOT devices. Samsung said that 90 percent of their products will be connected by 2017 and that "five years from now, every single piece of Samsung hardware will be an IoT device, whether it is an air purifier or an oven." So don't be surprised if this is compatible with any phone, including the iPhone. They went back to the drawing board for this watch, so I think it'll do for their Smartwatch line, what the new S6 did for their Galaxy line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.