Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I'm going to say that they went with the obvious answer.

Anyone remember the original iPod?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I hope they end up calling it Samsung Watch.

Just like their Samsung Pay :rolleyes:

Haha it's becoming quite ridiculous, isn't it:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm just lost for words haha

It would be really interesting to see any webpage with the words 'Apple', 'iPhone'... Blocked for Samsungs R&D. They'd be bankrupt within a year ;)

----------

Competition is good

It's like buying a Rolex vs buying a fake at the same price ;)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I like it. It's cool.

I still think Apple's solution is better for scrolling. But there are situations, that Samsung's implementation might be better. I'd have to see what they do with it. But my guess is not much. They'll put it on a watch, and not really implement anything beyond letting developers try and do something. Which never works, because there won't be a consistent interface.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I like it. It's cool.

I still think Apple's solution is better for scrolling. But there are situations, that Samsung's implementation might be better. I'd have to see what they do with it. But my guess is not much. They'll put it on a watch, and not really implement anything beyond letting developers try and do something. Which never works, because there won't be a consistent interface.

I agree. It's an interesting idea. It first reminds me of the Nest thermostat, and less so the iPod. I do feel though that the digital crown for scrolling would be easier, especially for long lists / items.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Samsung can be great when it wants to be. However, it always seems to need Apple to give it a push.

The rotating bezel, which I guess will be called 'S Bezel' (lol) looks like it acts like a camera lens.
This is the invite that Samsung issued a couple of weeks ago:

Attachments

• samsung-gear-ciruclar.png
    samsung-gear-ciruclar.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 142

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Scrolling? Back to the apple age? Cmon samsung, you can do better than living in a stone age... Who needs anything scrolling with a touch display? I can imagine people wearing apple watch, carrying a book and icecream: "how the **** im going to scroll the knob?"

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Competition is good, and I have no fear. Nothing good can come from a Samsung product.

... until they incinerate touchwiz :cool:

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I like the idea but I don't know about the round screen. I also like the 2g.

How about a feature where you just rub your finger against the bezel and that does the zooming or rotating. Like the click wheel. The click wheel didn't actually rotate I don't think.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Holy crap. I think is a real cool idea. It's still an unnatural experience for me to rotate the Apple digital crown. Rotating the bezel itself in Samsung's implementation sounds like a more seamless experience, based on the the way my fingers are positioned. If this works perfectly, I might have to add another smart watch to my arsenal lol.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Competition is good, and I have no fear. Nothing good can come from a Samsung product.

... until they incinerate touchwiz :cool:

This is not TouchWiz. It's not a skin over Android Wear. It's Tizen, Samsung's own OS. I've heard very good things about Tizen in terms of speed and smoothness. Of course, the only thing lacking is the apps.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This is kind of interesting actually. They've piqued my interest.

As for "copying" Apple... what are you people talking about? What are they copying exactly? Where is there an Apple Watch that has a rotating bezel for input/scrolling? Talk about grasping for straws.

Apple copies TONS of ideas and makes them better or puts their own flare to it (finger print scanner, anyone?). Why isn't anyone else allowed to do the same?

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
actually surprised apple didn't come up with this idea, but then again they decided to go with the rectangle look.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Just like their Samsung Pay :rolleyes:

1. Samsung bought Loop Pay, which predates Apple Pay's name. Using your simplistic standards, Apple copied them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. "Samsung Wallet" was already used for something else.

I agree. It's an interesting idea. It first reminds me of the Nest thermostat, and less so the iPod. I do feel though that the digital crown for scrolling would be easier, especially for long lists / items.

Reminds me of any pilot or diving or other watch with a rotating bezel. As for scrolling...

Scrolling? Back to the apple age? Cmon samsung, you can do better than living in a stone age... Who needs anything scrolling with a touch display? I can imagine people wearing apple watch, carrying a book and icecream: "how the **** im going to scroll the knob?"

Yep, the latest Android Wear update is much smarter: it optionally scrolls up or down by flicking your wrist. Perfect for one-armed use.

For that matter, I think we should be able to do everything without needing a second hand. Perhaps look for a wrist flex hand up/down motion or even sense different finger tendons.

How about a feature where you just rub your finger against the bezel and that does the zooming or rotating. Like the click wheel. The click wheel didn't actually rotate I don't think.

Good idea, and I think Samsung patented that for a watch bezel years ago. For that matter, back around 2000, everyone was patenting watch bezel inputs. HP, IBM, Palm, Microsoft, Samsung, you name it. Smartwatches were hot back then, but the technology wasn't quite ripe.

Neither Samsung's current rotating bezel, nor Apple's digital crown, are new or non-obvious ideas.

Not sure how Samsung can be accused of copying Apple when they applied for the patent for the rotating bezel six months prior to any Apple Watch details being known.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...lter=&sortOption=&queryString=&tab=PCT+Biblio

Good point. I'll see you and raise you a 2006 priority date Samsung patent that predates even the iPhone, much less the Apple Watch eight years later.

It contains BOTH a rotating bezel, AND a freely rotating / pushbutton digital crown that was used to scroll through list choices... sound familiar?

2007_samsung_bezel_crown.png

That patent explicitly states that "the second input means may take a form of the stem of an analog wristwatch."

I mean, talk about prior art...

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Samsung Stike again...

While I definitely think the rotating bezel isn't copying, the UI could be a little more original.

And look, text is cut off lol

16681ae053e3057b6233386c3a6962f5.jpg

5f5c9a571c1df22cc5741a982ea4f006.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.