Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chacabuco74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi,

Im running a mid 2011 Mini (2.3ghz i5) with 16GB of Ram and a SSD and am getting really slow laggy performance. OS 10.8.5

Granted Im working on large (1GB+) photoshop files but even when not using PS Im getting delays when clicking the mouse etc. Not seeing the type of performance I was expecting with the RAM and SSD upgrades.

Reading on the forums here I see a lot of suggestions regarding upgrading RAM if you are seeing high page outs. I just created a new user account and rebooted and am still seeing high page outs. Could this be indicative of bad RAM or something else? I've attached a screen shot from Activity Monitor taken right after launching

Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 10.46.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 10.46.20 AM.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 191

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi,

Im running a mid 2011 Mini (2.3ghz i5) with 16GB of Ram and a SSD and am getting really slow laggy performance. OS 10.8.5

Granted Im working on large (1GB+) photoshop files but even when not using PS Im getting delays when clicking the mouse etc. Not seeing the type of performance I was expecting with the RAM and SSD upgrades.

Reading on the forums here I see a lot of suggestions regarding upgrading RAM if you are seeing high page outs. I just created a new user account and rebooted and am still seeing high page outs. Could this be indicative of bad RAM or something else? I've attached a screen shot from Activity Monitor taken right after launching

Turn it off and on again, with the option 'Reopen Windows when logging back in' disabled.

Ensure you shut down every few days in future, shutting down will clear the RAM & disabling reopen windows should ensure that any background processes/memory leaks that were previously running won't reopen.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi,

^ what the guy above me said.

Also, try using Yosemite. It handles RAM way better than ML because of RAM compression and caching.

chacabuco74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks for the help. Disabling the reopen windows option cleared up the Page outs but performance is still slow (though better).

I've been reluctant to upgrade due to some legacy software, but I think the benefits will outweigh the risks at this point.

Thanks again
Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.