Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Our iPhones and iPads are protected by Activation Lock, a security feature that prevents thieves from wiping and using a stolen Apple device with a new account, but the recently released Apple Watch has no similar security feature.

As pointed out by iDownloadBlog in a detailed post on the security of the Apple Watch, there is nothing that stops a lost or stolen Apple Watch from being wiped and paired with a new iPhone. The Apple Watch has a passcode option that requires a sequence of numbers to be entered every time it's removed from a wrist, but the passcode protects only data.

The passcode is also easily bypassed with a reset. Pressing down on the side button of the Apple Watch brings up the power down options and a force press on this screen brings up an option to Erase All content and Settings. Erasing the Apple Watch in this manner erases the passcode and allows the Apple Watch to be paired with a new device, with no hint of the original owner's information available.

applewatchpasscode.jpg
Because there's no Activation Lock and because the Apple Watch is reliant on the iPhone, there's also no Find My iPhone option to locate a lost or stolen Apple Watch. Due to this lack of security, it's possible the Apple Watch will become a major target for thieves.

It's an expensive device (especially the higher-end Edition versions), it's compact, it's highly desirable, it has a high resale value like all of Apple's products, and it's easily visible on a wrist rather than hidden away in a bag or pocket like an iPhone. In short, it's an easy target for muggers.

iPhone theft in major cities like San Francisco and New York became such an issue that government officials called for Apple and other cell phone manufacturers to implement a "kill switch" that would disable stolen devices, leading to the eventual release of Activation Lock alongside iOS 7.

Activation Lock had a positive impact on smartphone thievery, dropping iPhone theft by 25 percent in New York, 40 percent in San Francisco, and 50 percent in London as of early 2015. If Apple Watch theft causes crime rates to spike like iPhone theft, it's possible lawmakers will once again step in to call upon Apple to improve the security of the wrist worn device.

As iDownloadBlog notes, Apple could potentially introduce stricter security measures in a future version of Watch OS. A simple solution would check the last known Apple ID of a paired device, refusing a new connection without a password or other authentication. Given the number of sensors in the Apple Watch, it's also not unimaginable that a future biometric solution could also be implemented for additional security.

Article Link: Apple Watch Vulnerable to Theft With No Activation Lock

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Why is only Apple Watch singled out?

EVERY smart watch and NON-smart watch - even those costing thousands of dollars more - operates in the same way. Lose the watch, or get it stolen, someone else can use it like it was theirs.

Every Rolex, Timex, Moto 360.... all work the same way. Why single out Apple Watch?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The passcode is also easily bypassed with a reset. Pressing down on the side button of the Apple Watch brings up the power down options and a force press on this screen brings up an option to Erase All content and Settings. Erasing the Apple Watch in this manner erases the passcode and allows the Apple Watch to be paired with a new device, with no hint of the original owner's information available.

Well if thieves didn't know what to do before, they do now.

At least this article should bring it to Apple's attention. I foresee an update shortly.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

EVERY smart watch and NON-smart watch - even those costing thousands of dollars more - operates in the same way. Lose the watch, or get it stolen, someone else can use it like it was theirs.

Every Rolex, Timex, Moto 360.... all work the same way. Why single out Apple Watch?
Because this is an apple form.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I also made a thread on the forums before regarding the optical sensor protection flaw.

It is easily bypassable, if someone just puts their finger underneath the sensor when taking off the device they are not prompted for a PIN. So you could easily take someone elses information as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1881221/

Of course, my post was dismissed and people said it wasn't an issue.

max-man

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Seriously? This makes it as news? Who cares? The data is protected, that is far more important.

You buy a Rolex and it gets stolen... guess what? the thief can still wear it and check the time.

jthesssin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
Matthews NC
Agree with all of you

Why is this an issue? The other smartwatches on the market don't even have basic passcode security, let alone findmy****.
This will get blown all out of proportion as all other ****gates related to Apple.
The good news is, its only a problem, cause people actually WANT to steal a smart-watch now :)
GO APPLE!!! :)

turtl3rs

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2015
Great, right when I was thinking that if a thief stole my watch, he/she wouldn't be able to unlock or erase it, thereby making it useless.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008

I agree. The only thing I can add is that the Apple Watch is a high profile piece. Most thieves will be able to instantly recognize it, whereas they would not be able to tell the difference between a Patek Phillipe and a Timex.

deadandalive

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
Thanks for the step by step instructions letting people know why it is a great idea to steal my Watch

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's a non-issue because it's securely strapped to your wrist. Phones are an easy target because it's easy to pick pocket, or to grab out of a purse, or to just grab it right out of someone's hands as they're using it.

Stealing a watch requires you to be willing to do more than just basic robbery and actually assault or threaten someone. Obviously people willing to commit such crimes exist, but I think they are a minority among those willing to steal.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Seriously? This makes it as news? Who cares? The data is protected, that is far more important.

You buy a Rolex and it gets stolen... guess what? the thief can still wear it and check the time.

If we applied the rationale that the Apple watch shouldn't leverage any technology over what we've had in the past (read: Rolex); then there literally is no reason to have an Apple watch. We shouldn't give Apple a pass for doing the same things the stuff they're trying to replace would also do.

max-man

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
I also made a thread on the forums before regarding the optical sensor protection flaw.

It is easily bypassable, if someone just puts their finger underneath the sensor when taking off the device they are not prompted for a PIN. So you could easily take someone elses information as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1881221/

Of course, my post was dismissed and people said it wasn't an issue.

This actually is a big issue. I just did it to my coworker just now. you are right, I did the slight of hand removal of his watch and I was able to keep it from locking.

But he did know I was taking it off, I am not that good.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Said this in the beginning. The theft will be high with no way to track the watch. Once apple adds Lte I'm in, until then I'm out.

I'm done here and
I'm out.

Cheers.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Same as everything on a wrist, when its gone its gone unless your lucky.

I don't think this is a problem but if apple wants to apply something like activation lock its cool

ukcolinr

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
UK
My first watch that was due for delivery on launch day 'went missing' from UPS and I was told all UPS had was an empty box (luckily Apple got me out a replacement within a week). I specifically asked Apple whilst on the phone if they would block this Apple Watch so it could not be activated and was told no by the representative I spoke to. I actually assumed I'd been given incorrect information as it seemed crazy, but maybe not having read this article. I can appreciate what those are saying above that any other watch that would be it, but if it can be done now with a Smart Watch then why not do it as a deterrent to thieves?

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Strange… It's just software so why wouldn't Apple Watch have the same sort of security features the iOS devices have?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Maybe it's me but I'd rather hit a distracted business man over his head for his 10k Rolex than some hipster for his apple watch. If I were a heartless low life scum of the earth thief that is.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008

Because thieves won't steal Rolex and even less Moto 360. They know the stolen Apple Watch, especially when it's still in short supply, will sell fast and well. The Rolex for instance, is too expensive to sell quickly and if you don't have proof of purchase they will be considered knock off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.