Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Hello there.

So, lately i found that i have to increase my activity (i already go to the gym every couple of days) and the doctor suggested that i start run every morning.

I have a iPhone 6 and i was wondering what advice you guys have so i can take it with me since it's my source of music.

Armband? or that belt bag thingy? Or in a pocket?

What about sweat? And the bending? And the shacking from running?

Thank you for your help.

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
If it's just a 6, an armband should be fine.

I have a 6+ and am thinking about getting the flipbelt.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I've used a number of solutions for running with both the 6 and 6+. Personally, I do not like armbands or handhelds so my recommendations are belt based.

1. Running Buddy pouch (http://amzn.com/B00ATIE5ZE). The advantage of this one is that you can use it without a belt in certain applications. However, I used it mostly around a Spibelt endurance and that worked well. Works OK with a phone in the Apple leather case but it is a tight fit.

2. Amphipod large Rapid access pouch on either a Spibelt endurance or fuel belt helium. This is a great setup. Works well the Spibelt endurance (http://amzn.com/B00DC06PAE) which has a nice pocket for keys and the Amphipod pouch for the phone (http://amzn.com/B0055Q43XO). For days when some hydration is required the amphipod pouch would be placed on a Fuelbelt helium (the kind with 2 bottles on the back). Works well with the phone in an Apple leather case and maybe slightly larger cases.

3. Using the same belts (Spibelt endurance or FuelBelt) but use a Amphipod SmartView pouch (http://amzn.com/B00UM9X18W). This pouch slips on a belt just like the rapid access pouch but has a see through side where you can use you phone while it is in the case. Comes in a regular and sumo size. This is a nice belt pouch but can be a little tight if your phone has a case on it.

4. I am currently using a Amphipod pouch belt combo similar to the rapid access pouch and FuelBelt combo but it is all made from Amphipod. Works pretty well for my needs (running with a 6+, bluetooth headphones, some water). http://www.rei.com/product/883560/amphipod-runlite-xtech-2-plus-hydration-belt.

Finally, I have heard good things about the Flipbelts but my understanding is that like the SpiBelt pockets they are not sweat proof. Here in the south that is a bit of an issue hence why all my recommendations have a neoprene or similar layer that keeps even the heaviest of sweat from soaking through.

Additionally, I generally carry a LokSak waterproof bag in my phone pouch while running just in case it rains or I really need something to keep water away from my phone. These are basically high dollar plastic bags.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the armpocket, when I used to run with my iPhone. I now have a Fitbit Surge which has a GPS in it, and that removes the need to carry my iPhone.

When I had the ArmPocket, it worked great. It was weather proof so running in the rain didn't damage my phone, nor did sweat or moisture creep in from my body.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
If it's just a 6, an armband should be fine.

I have a 6+ and am thinking about getting the flipbelt.

I have the Flipbelt and really like it. I actually purchased 2 more for my daughters and 1 more for a friend. The 6 Plus is a tight fit. Would be fine without a case but very tight with the Apple silicone case and left an indent in my Apple leather case from the seam.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You might just start by going handheld until you get some miles under your belt and have a sense of what you might prefer. I generally use a watch rather than my iPhone, but I often carry my phone when I'm in unfamiliar areas and holding it in my hand doesn't much bother me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You might just start by going handheld until you get some miles under your belt and have a sense of what you might prefer. I generally use a watch rather than my iPhone, but I often carry my phone when I'm in unfamiliar areas and holding it in my hand doesn't much bother me.

I can't do that, while I see other runners holding their phone, I usually prefer to have it on my arm. During the warmer months I run with a water bottle so that's another reason to keep the phone out of my hands, i.e., don't want to run with my hands full :)

tibber

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
There are tons of armband you can find on amazon...
Luckily you have the 6. My 6 plus just looks bulky awkward on my arm. LOL

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Handheld and pocket I have found to be very obtrusive, and I would suggest going with an arm band. After that the only complication you will have is the headphones!

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks all for the help...

One thing that i'm not taking into account is that I live in a somewhat problematic zone (we have some assaults here) and since my free time to run will be very early (6:30-7am) and still dark in most of the year, probably running around with a iPhone flashing in my arm might not be the best idea.

Sure i can get in my car and go run somewhere else, but still...

I'll probably go with some belt. It's more discrete. I saw a couple in a sport store that were waterproof and were tight so the phone will not be bouncing around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.