Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Does anyone know if there is a USB C extension cable available yet. One end male on end female. I cannot seem to find one.

jb8748

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
My understanding is that the specification specifically forbids extension cables.

A male socket can only appear on a device/dongle.

I assume this is so that you can't have an extension cable only rated for low power being used with a high power cable and then over heat.

Reactions: Jeff_42

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks. Interesting - I was just wanting to move this huge Apple digital connector to a less visible place. LOL Oh well.

jb8748

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Yes, I'm in complete agreement. I'm looking forward to some USB-C hubs becoming available so that it will be possible to move everything well out of the way.

There are a few adaptors/hubs missing that need to be available before I buy the new Macbook. But looking around I don't think it will be long to wait.

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I just saw this post. I created a new thread for nothing.

So no extension cables will be available in the foreseeable future?

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I just saw this post. I created a new thread for nothing.

So no extension cables will be available in the foreseeable future?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-USB3-...315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfbf467bb

both data transfer and scalable power charging (whatever that means...)
I'll wait for my hub to arrive next week with usb c charging port. I planned to connect the hub to the charger and use the rMB usb c cable from the hub to the rMB to get the hub out of the way but that won't work I'm afraid so then I might go for a 6ft extension cable.

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Looks like exactly what I need. I'll place an order and see if it works.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Looks like exactly what I need. I'll place an order and see if it works.

Let us know if it works (and if it doesn't!)
Would be nice.
Btw, the link I posted is for a 3ft cable. I've seen a 6ft one as well on the same site.

Last edited:

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I will post my experience after I get the cable in about three weeks time.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I bought one of those off Ebay. An extension cable. Six foot, from China.

Doesn't work. POS. Could be just luck, or it could be just a rip-off. $19US

Good luck.

BTW, it was 'ePacket'. Takes only about 4-7 days. If you go economy, it can take two months.
(just a heads up)

Reactions: palmwangja

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home

Good luck.

BTW, it was 'ePacket'. Takes only about 4-7 days. If you go economy, it can take two months.
(just a heads up)

thanks for the feedback. I think I just wait a bit longer.

Big Ron

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if there is a USB C extension cable available yet. One end male on end female. I cannot seem to find one.
I don't know if this would help you but I had, from an old White MacBook, a mains power extender lead. I'm not sure which country your in but in the UK I just removed the 3 pin plug and replaced it with this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1814...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

It depends on where you want to hide your USB C cable of course.

Reactions: cerberusss

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015

Good luck.

(just a heads up)

Thanks for the valuable information
Didn't work at all? no power, no data, no nothing ?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'm just going to wait now for reviews. It's a bit tricky, apparently, it being a whole new thing.

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Mine is on its way so I will report back if it works. Already got screwed with a lighting cable to USB-C that does not work.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
When looking at the reviews, there's plenty of working USB-C cables on Amazon. However, to bring this thread back on topic, no good reviews there for any that are USB-C extension cables.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
When looking at the reviews, there's plenty of working USB-C cables on Amazon. However, to bring this thread back on topic, no good reviews there for any that are USB-C extension cables.

Are there any extension cables available? That is to say USB-C male/female cable.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No - that's what I was saying: no decent reviews of those on Amazon.

If there are none on the market then there would be no reviews. Saying "no decent reviews" indicates they are available.

To my knowledge there are no usb-c extension cables available.

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
If there are none on the market then there would be no reviews. Saying "no decent reviews" indicates they are available.

To my knowledge there are no usb-c extension cables available.
They are available and I personally ordered one but we are just waiting on delivery to see if they work. Some have got their and reported that they do not work. If all of us get one and are non functional than they are simply incompatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.