Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What cycle are you on?

• Total voters

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Just wondering when everybody upgrades their phones.

Edit: By Android, I just mean not iPhone

Last edited:

alxz1194

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Way too many options in this poll, was expecting "S or Normal"; the options for android users are kind of unnecessary for example. So far, I've upgraded from the 5S to the 6 and plan on holding off until the 7, so i guess moved to the "normal" cycle :D

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm typically yearly. I've had a 6 and 6+ on and off since September I just keep on going back to the 5c though. :mad:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
2009 - iPhone 3GS
2010 - iPhone 4
2012 - iPhone 5
2014 - iPhone 6 Plus

When I first got an iPhone 3GS in 2009 I was sold.

Telecom provider offered a one-year early upgrade in 2010 so that's when I switched to the 'normal' cycle. The iPhone 4 was, for me, the most amazing iPhone upgrade ever: incredible hardware upgrades (Retina display, camera, etc.), big performance upgrades, amazing design and also big software enhancements (iOS 4 with multitasking).

Actually considering switching back to the -S cycle, as the -S iPhones are definitely the most refined ones.

I must also say, way too many poll options. "-S cycle", "regular cycle" and "yearly" (and perhaps "Switch between Android and iOS") are specific enough. :p

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
When I bought the iPhone 5 I told myself that I would be content now that I have LTE and keep my phone for at least two years. I ended up buying the 5S and then the 6 the following year so from now on I've just accepted that I'm upgrading every year.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
When I like the new offering and/or the old one is becoming a chore to use due to lag etc.

I got a 4 in 2010 and upgraded to the 5s in 2013. I currently have no plans to change my phone and if it broke tomorrow, I'd get another 5s as I don't like the form factor of the 6/6+.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I've been all over the board. I've went from original iPhone to 3G to 3Gs to 4s to 5 and now 6 and 6 Plus. I think I'm going to get rid of the Plus and get a 6s. Depending on how great the 7 is I may upgrade again or wait for the 7s. I'm starting to think the "S" may be the way to go now. The iPhone has become such a mature product I don't know if it's necessary to have every generation. I was sure glad I got the 4s over the 4 and 5s was definitely better than the 5.

RRuxin

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
I'm a sucker and upgrade every year. Unless the 6S Plus gives us something really exciting I may hold off this time.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'm not on a cycle.
I replace my phone when it's inadequate or breaks.
I expect my 6 to be adequate for more than 2 years.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Usually every year but think I'm going to hold off until the 7+ as the 6+ does everything I need

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Normal 2 year cycle. The S cycle is definitely more refined, but on the normal cycle you get the latest and greatest with the modern design for two years. Now that I'm on AT&T NEXT, I may start upgrading every year by just paying off the remaining balance of my 6 Plus, then give it away to a family member(Giving the phone back to AT&T to upgrade after a year of paying payments is a ripoff, might as well just pay off the phone) then using the $0-down NEXT to upgrade again.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have always been on the non-S cycle and have been happy to miss the incremental updates of the S models.
However, the 6+ is such an unrefined phone that I'm going to have to get the 6S this year. I can't stand a whole 24 months with my stuttery reloading machine.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
Normal 2 year cycle. The S cycle is definitely more refined, but on the normal cycle you get the latest and greatest with the modern design for two years. Now that I'm on AT&T NEXT, I may start upgrading every year by just paying off the remaining balance of my 6 Plus, then give it away to a family member(Giving the phone back to AT&T to upgrade after a year of paying payments is a ripoff, might as well just pay off the phone) then using the $0-down NEXT to upgrade again.

You could say the same thing about the S cycle. Those on the non-S cycle get the new look and feel. Those on the S cycle get the more refined, faster, smoother device.

I can see the appeal of both, but I'll take the S cycle any day.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
i'm on the regular cycle, however, i will be updated to the 6S+ for more RAM.

it's only a few hundred to upgrade (after you sell the 6+).

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
You could say the same thing about the S cycle. Those on the non-S cycle get the new look and feel. Those on the S cycle get the more refined, faster, smoother device.

I can see the appeal of both, but I'll take the S cycle any day.

*I guess*, but faster is to be expected from every new generation. So for me, that's simply a default cost for not having the latest chipset, regardless of cycle. Also, my iPhone 5 was smooth, even on iOS 8. Although more refined, The only real practical difference the 5S had over my 5 had was really the touch ID.

To each his own. Being stuck on the S Cycle and having to wait a whole year for the 5.5 display would irritate me a lot more than the seeing a 5S over my 5.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm on the "use my iPhone till it no longer fulfils my needs which is usually when it looses iOS support. I'm on the 5 now and hopefully will get to late next year or the year after it with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.