Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
As this article points out here, Yosemite is so badly optimized that even the new windows OS, which is still in beta, does a far better job. Now if that is not embarrassing, I dont know what is but I totally concur. I can't believe that I need to switch on contrast to just get a decent level of fluidity on my 2015 rMBP. Truly pathetic!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
no issues here running yosemite on a late-2011 macbook pro. the whining on these forums is unbelievable. but at least, most of us are fine on 10.10.x, and life really does go on... :cool:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
And no issues here on my mid-2011 13" MBA. In fact, it runs faster on Yosemite than it did with Lion (which it came with), Mountain Lion, and Mavericks; and I thought it was its fastest with Mavericks until I put Yosemite on it.

BL.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I guess this is one instance where I envy those that are blind as a bat...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I guess this is one instance where I envy those that are blind as a bat...

As a Linux sysadmin, believe me when I say that I know what it takes to optimize any part of an OS, from the kernel out to anything userland. I don't have the numbers from sar(1), iostat(1), or vmstat(8) with me, but my MBA was absolutely crawling with Lion compared to Mavericks. I saw not only disk I/O, but memory usage and paging decrease significantly when going from Lion to Mavericks, and again from Mavericks to Yosemite. Dramatic improvement. No where was that more prevalent with my MBA than with the time it took to cold boot the laptop. Lion was slowest, followed by Mavericks, followed by Yosemite.

BL.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
As this article points out here, Yosemite is so badly optimized that even the new windows OS, which is still in beta, does a far better job. Now if that is not embarrassing, I dont know what is but I totally concur. I can't believe that I need to switch on contrast to just get a decent level of fluidity on my 2015 rMBP. Truly pathetic!

The article that you've linked is simply one user posting his opinion regarding installing Windows on Apple hardware. I see no proof on which to base an assumption that Yosemite lacks optimization to the point that all users will suffer.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I just did a clean install of Yosemite moving from Mavericks. I can honestly say that Yosemite isn't quite as snappy as Mavericks was on a late 2013 retina MacBook Pro.

terencedriver

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Imagine running an old OS where 512kb was big ram. Today the is and apps would run entirely from level 2 and 3 CPU cache, blindingly fast.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
I performed a clean install, it's neither bad or up to past Apple standards. Now wildly successful Apple can afford to let quality decline. The watch and other gadgets have lured in the casual user that no longer relys on a computer. The long time Apple customer population is fading and leaving only the people who compliment Apple no matter what they do.

bcam117

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Without having turned off transparency I do get some stutters on my late 2013 rMBP 750M.

It's not that it's terrible, but for the price we pay for a laptop it better be as smooth as possible. Also for me personally, one of the things that made me want to get a mac the most was seeing how smooth animations and scrolling was on my girlfriend's Pro running Snow Leopard.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Well I'm talking from experience, the article is just additional and damning support.

ok. and what about those of us who are having a positive experience?

let's say that all our experiences matter. so, based on these forums (a very small subset of mac users), some people are having a good experience, some are having a bad one. but posting "more proof of how badly optimized Yosemite is" is not really a statement of your experience, but an absolute. and it's not true (well, not for everyone).

anyway, i still think there's too much whining on this forum (instead of discussion, and help with real issues). and of course, that's just my opinion...

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
ok. and what about those of us who are having a positive experience?

let's say that all our experiences matter. so, based on these forums (a very small subset of mac users), some people are having a good experience, some are having a bad one. but posting "more proof of how badly optimized Yosemite is" is not really a statement of your experience, but an absolute. and it's not true (well, not for everyone).

anyway, i still think there's too much whining on this forum (instead of discussion, and help with real issues). and of course, that's just my opinion...

Well my theory is that the problem affects a subset of apple machines (for example those equipped with retina displays and integrated GPUs) and that some people are more sensitive and therefore aware to the interface jitteriness than others. Maybe for you this is not a big deal, but for others like myself it certainly is. To each his own.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Well my theory is that the problem affects a subset of apple machines (for example those equipped with retina displays and integrated GPUs) and that some people are more sensitive and therefore aware to the interface jitteriness than others. Maybe for you this is not a big deal, but for others like myself it certainly is. To each his own.

So you really can't say that Yosemite is pathetic or anything on the whole, when you don't know the user experience for everyone who is running it. Like someone said, you're stating it as an absolute, when you don't know if that is true for everyone. That's because it isn't true for everyone.

For the Record, I did a clean install of Yosemite, with only relying on Time Machine to restore files for my account, and iTunes media. Still with that, it is faster than Mavericks and Lion.

BL.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

...which precludes the possibility that i am NOT having those issues (or am not 'sensitive' enough to know i'm having problems?) :D

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yosemite isn't badly optimized, it simply hasn't been optimized at all and I know this because of my radars with Apple on performance related issues. They basically said they're aware of it and optimizations are coming to improve the performance.

The biggest killer is the transparency, that've slowed down the UI latency but not the OS itself. They've gotten better over time, especially in 10.10.3 update for me. However, it's not the best it can be.

Yosemite is fine for most of the public, they don't know that it could be made much faster.

I've installed W10 on my Mac as well, it is definitely snappy and it is faster than a clean install of Yosemite for me, no doubts about it.

We just have to wait to see what Apple does with 10.11.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
OMG the fps is less than 40 in Mission Control. Ring the alarm bells, get all the software engineers in!

More seriously - It's a desktop OS not a Call of Duty deathmatch. Does Mission Control work. Yes. Is it affecting OS stability. No. Quit moaning about a non-problem of a few dropped animation frames then on some new power efficient hardware. It's not hurting anyone, it's just eye candy.

The only saving grace of this thread is that no idiot has used the dreaded L-word yet.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
For what it's worth, my 2011 MBP has lower specs than my desktop PC... and Yosemite runs MUCH faster than the Windows 10 preview. It's not as fast as Snow Leopard was, but - in my experience, on my hardware - OS X is still the faster OS.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
OMG the fps is less than 40 in Mission Control. Ring the alarm bells, get all the software engineers in!

More seriously - It's a desktop OS not a Call of Duty deathmatch. Does Mission Control work. Yes. Is it affecting OS stability. No. Quit moaning about a non-problem of a few dropped animation frames then on some new power efficient hardware. It's not hurting anyone, it's just eye candy.

The only saving grace of this thread is that no idiot has used the dreaded L-word yet.

....so, if I follow your train of thought, it is better to have shoddily implemented eye candy than to have no eye candy? Go figure..

----------

you're stating it as an absolute, when you don't know if that is true for everyone. That's because it isn't true for everyone.

BL.

You should read more clearly before responding. I did mention that it seems to be a subset of users but I guess your mind just conveniently skipped that part.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
It's far from shoddy on my rMBP.

Given the choice of a couple of dropped frames or an hours extra battery life due to graphics switching, I know what I'd pick.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
"I was sad that I had no shoes.. until I met a man who had no feet"

I came to the Apple ecosystem after spending 13 years using nothing but Linux and building my own boxes. Considering the App Store, iCloud, the Apple ecosystem, the seamless integration between devices, and the fact that Mac software and hardware are specifically designed to work together, I'm quite grateful to have my Mac mini.

Be grateful for what you have, it could be worse.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You should read more clearly before responding. I did mention that it seems to be a subset of users but I guess your mind just conveniently skipped that part.

It would serve everyone bette to modify your original post, as it bases the entire thread under a false premise.

BL.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
"I was sad that I had no shoes.. until I met a man who had no feet"

I came to the Apple ecosystem after spending 13 years using nothing but Linux and building my own boxes. Considering the App Store, iCloud, the Apple ecosystem, the seamless integration between devices, and the fact that Mac software and hardware are specifically designed to work together, I'm quite grateful to have my Mac mini.

Be grateful for what you have, it could be worse.

Yeah, and never mind the cost, be grateful that you are part of this bloated ecosystem.

----------

It would serve everyone bette to modify your original post, as it bases the entire thread under a false premise.

BL.

Not a false premise, but an opinion which is what 99% of this forum content is constituted of...

----------

FWIW, I was thoroughly impressed when Mavericks was released, it was revolutionary in so many ways, especially when I saw the battery life of my at the time 3 yr old MBP improve. Yosemite definitely pales in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.