Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the Worldwide Developers Conference coming up in early June, there's been some question about whether we might see a new 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro at the event. Shipping estimates for the high-end 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro have recently increased to two to three weeks, perhaps suggesting Apple is tapering down production on the existing model.

Supply shortages can sometimes signal an imminent update, but there's uncertainty when it comes to a potential 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro refresh due to a distinct lack of Broadwell chips appropriate for the machine. For several months, we've had no updates on the release date of Broadwell chips that would be used in the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, making it difficult to pin down an upgrade timeline.

Along with slipping shipping estimates, however, we have another potential piece of evidence pointing towards the possibility of a June refresh -- a MacRumors reader who ordered a 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro has received a delayed delivery date ranging from June 9 to June 15. June 9 is one day after the kick off of the Worldwide Developers Conference and the day after the event keynote where any new product would be introduced.

retinamacbookproshippingdelay.jpg

The Retina MacBook Pro in question is a custom configured 15-inch model with a 2.8Ghz processor and 512GB of storage, originally ordered on April 23. At the time, it had a two to three week delivery estimate, suggesting it should have arrived in May, but Apple's pushed it back to seven weeks.

A single customer's order set to arrive on June 9 just after the WWDC keynote is curious and may suggest Apple's waiting until a refresh to ship his order, but there's also a chance that it's a mere coincidence. It's entirely possible we won't see updated 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro models for several more months.

We last heard Broadwell chips for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro were coming in July or August, making a WWDC refresh unlikely, but a handful of desktop-class chips in the same family began shipping two weeks ago, suggesting Intel might be ahead of schedule.

If Intel is ready to ship the chips or if Apple has already quietly received shipments ahead of a wider release, there's a chance we'll see a Retina MacBook Pro update at WWDC. If the chips are not shipping out until July or August, a WWDC refresh or update announcement is not likely.

As we said in a deeper post covering potential chip upgrades for the Retina MacBook Pro and the iMac, Intel's Broadwell chip delays and Broadwell's convergence with Skylake chip release dates have made it difficult to divine accurate update timelines for these machines.

(Thanks, Joel!)

Article Link: June Delivery Date for Backordered 15-Inch Retina Macbook Pro Sparks Refresh Speculation

Last edited:

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Hopefully they will reveal a redesigned Skylake version with DDR4 etc. That would definitely make my year!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
My body is ready for the first computer with only half a port, but I do hope they keep the number of fans above zero.

Last edited:

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I'm in the market for a new one. I'm thinking the GPU, battery life boost and force touch will be the highlights.

Price drop?

Better SSD?

Bigger SSD?

You think?

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
that order is getting canceled. Joel fake ordering to show delivery dates.

Apart from the fact that 1/3 of the order actually shipped and the rest is processing so past cancellation point and not sure why you'd order Applecare if you intended to cancel or return.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
If the protection plan shows "Complete" you should see the serial number in your support profile already! There is a fair chance it is a new model and has been registered to the owner already, maybe there are clues in the support profile?

Remember the MacBook Air launch in 2013? Apple got the processors months(!) earlier than other manufacturers. June launch for Broadwell 15" MBPs is extremely likely since Computex is a week before WWDC and Apple was the launch partner a few releases in a row! But remember, Skylake is just half a year behind Broadwell! With DDR4 and quite substantial GPU upgrades...If you can hold off half a year, do so!!

Last edited:

Luminose

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
Tipster here (believe or not), my IT department ordered it for me, and I'm certain they're tired of me complaining about the wait.

Unfortunately, I have zero access to anything but the order status page. I can ask around on Monday if they see anything on our AppleCare portal. (Not sure if that's a real thing but you know what I mean).

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The last 15" mbp update was last year in june, Apple should introduce new mbp back in february but it was only for the 13". I'm guessing broadwell 15" mbp will come at wwdc even if its not available immediately.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Seeing as Microsoft and some laptop manufacturers are basing new laptops on SKylake, and to have Skylake ready for Windows 10 (which has an August-September release scheduled from the rumors) -
Intel could have a 28W and 35W Skylake chip ready in time for an announcement at WWDC (They have Computex before WWDC if they wanted an announcement) - Plus Mac Pro could get an update too seeing as the new Xeon is ready.

SKL-U-2 GT3e, 64MB eDRAM 28W
SKL-H-2 GT4e 128 MB eDRAM 45W throttled? Apple's choices likely stick out due to the eDRAM, right?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Hopefully they will reveal a redesigned Skylake version with DDR4 etc. That would definitely make my year!

If you mean for this year's WWDC, extremely unlikely. Skylake won't be available for laptops until Q4 this year or Q1 next year.

In addition, Skylake won't have DDR4 support for laptops, that's coming in Cannonlake instead.

----------

Seeing as Microsoft and some laptop manufacturers are basing new laptops on SKylake, and to have Skylake ready for Windows 10 (which has an August-September release scheduled from the rumors) -
Intel could have a 28W and 35W Skylake chip ready in time for an announcement at WWDC (They have Computex before WWDC if they wanted an announcement) - Plus Mac Pro could get an update too seeing as the new Xeon is ready.

Which ones? Are you sure you're not confusing Skylake with Broadwell? New upcoming laptops are including Broadwell for the next couple of months.

Skylake for laptops series isn't coming until Q4 '14/Q1 '15 and that's based on the latest leaked intel roadmaps a few days ago.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Which ones? Are you sure you're not confusing Skylake with Broadwell? New upcoming laptops are including Broadwell for the next couple of months. Skylake for mobile series aren't coming until Q4 '14/Q1 '15.

No not confusing them. Yes, a couple of months - May, June, July. August - September time is late Q3 - and that's post Computex, WWDC, and IDF - i'd imagine even Intel might let on a little by then.

Late Q3 - Q4 i'd imagine Apple will have a Skylake product out, shipping.
We haven't seen much about the mobile roadmap, but why say it's delayed till Q4-Q1 2015?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Well if its any help we've currently got two 15" Retina Macbook Pro's preparing to ship, one is listed as delivery on 9th June but the other is still before then as per this screenshot

Screenshot%202015-05-16%2000.29.07.jpg

Had a few customers with 13" Macbook Pro's ordered before Apple Watch event when the refresh was and had an e-mail saying they were being auto upgraded to the new models.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Tipster here (believe or not), my IT department ordered it for me, and I'm certain they're tired of me complaining about the wait.

7 weeks? Positively speedy by corporate procurement standards.

Meanwhile, enjoy your shiny new MagSafe 2 power adapter, and hope that that the putative new rMBP 15" doesn't turn up in June with Magsafe 3 or USB-C instead...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
From the anandtech thread on Skylake, that roadmap's outdated. Might be worth checking with them at http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37399506&postcount=664 as that roadmap got brought up.

Mikk is well known and this is what he shows:

2fk4bnzo.png

Still late Q3/Q4 of this year.

I'd be happy to see Intel shipping Skylake sooner. So, we'll see.

I seriously doubt Apple will refresh with Skylake in Q3/4. We're more likely to see Broadwell next month and Skylake next year. I suspect Cannonlake to be delayed.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Oh God please talk some sense into Apple to leap the Broadwell and go for Skylake! Even if it has to be the end of summer! That's my next laptop and main frame MacPro! Both Skylake! Skylake is just to big of a jump ,not worth investing in Broadwell!

prabal.malhan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
is there a chance apple could have got skylake this much earlier :p

well i will buying my first macbook for ios app development(just started learning sometime ago) and wanted skylake . It would be huge disappointment if apple chooses to update rmbp15 with broadwell considering the fact that skylake is much much superior .
its just a matter of 2-3 months when intel launches skylake processor at idf conference is there a chance apple bagged the first shipment and that too this much early. ?? :excited:
Waiting eagerly as it is pain to develop using virtualisation :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.