Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
balofagus
macrumors regular

iBook with some case parts "popping out"

I didn't know how else to describe it but "popping" out seemed to kinda fit. Let me detail whats happening:

*It is the iBook G4 14", I bought it January

1. When closed, the screen/lid portion part of the iBook sits about 1-2mm to the left. The back of the lid is aligned properly so it seems to angle a bit I guess.

2. The little cover area over the ports on the left side of the computer isn't tight. It sort of hangs out as it gets closer to the front. Not a lot, just enough to pick at with my fingernail (not that I do, that just wouldn't be smart).

3. On the actual screen while you are looking at it, on the left side, where the greyish part meets the outer white case at about the middle the grey part, sort of "dips" in. About 1mm or so, then it pops out a little and then goes flush again.

(Oh the left side of my lovely little iBook)

Anyway, I got this in January right before the keynote, you may ask "WHY not wait for Intel" and the answer is I didn't know about the the keynote. Oh yes, thats right, I was caught up in the saving for and finally purchasing my iBook that I'd never read about upcoming Apple events, just the specs on my iBook. Now, when I got it I thought nothing of these problems (they've been present since I got it), I finally had a Mac!

Well, now I've been thinking, and I had the Superdrive subbed out for the a Combo Drive, because I didn't need to be able to burn DVDs and wasn't about to pay $130 CAD for the offchance that I might need to. Well, they would have had to take it apart to do so, would that be the cause and if so should I have any fears or am I just having buyers remorse? Not saying I don't like it and it does do all I need, but there is a little part of me upset for not waiting for the Intel iBooks.

Thanks for taking the time to read that,
Sean
balofagus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Are you right handed?
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:11 PM   #3
balofagus
macrumors regular

Yes I am, is that whats doing this? If it is I need to go bury my head for posting such a long winded, dumb question.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:15 PM   #4
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
None of those are issues, they're just simply part of the machine. My iBook has the same things - nothing is perfect. The whole case to it creaks, especially where the ports are and the left/right handrests.

Just be glad your screen hasn't bent somehow :|.
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:20 PM   #5
balofagus
macrumors regular

Thanks, and ya good thing it hasn't bent! Good to know I'm not alone. None of it bothers me except the cover on the ports. I caught it on my pants once and now I'm extra careful around it. Oh, and mine doesn't creak, that's gotta be annoying.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Just something that I have noticed about my friends iBooks. The right-handers and left-handers have oppositely skewed cases. I think it is from picking it up from the near corners.

The right side of my PB (signifantly better put together) is looser on the side that use to move from desk to desk. It could just be wear.

Anybody else notice this?
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:07 AM   #7
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
these creaking and looseness issues vary from individual computer to the next, but it's a given that your g4 latest revision ibook/powerbook will do some creaking.

Stupid mainland China production. I'm very dissapointed in Apple for settling for sub-par quality to increase profit. It's a fact that Apple is a company, and any given company would switch to cheaper production if possible - it just sucks that we are stuck with the bad quality though.

I'm not really referring to only the creaking - but to the 2 broken keys on purchase, creaking all over the computer, screen having some dark areas, and the fact that the screen is tilted and twisted and they won't do anything about it. =)
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs