Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmstuber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2015
My 4 day old iBook FW SE just died. :( as i was writing my last post, a few verical lines started to appear on my screen. I thought i'd do a pmu and pram reset.

I powered down, unplugged it, took the battery out, pressed the reset button. Then put the battery back in, plugged it back in and.... Nothing. Not even a green light at the plug.

Read in another post to unplug the keyboard and pull the ram. Did that. Nothing.

Thoughts? Help?

Thanks

UPDATE

Plug was shorting.
Still have verticle lines in screen though.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My 4 day old iBook FW SE just died. :( as i was writing my last post, a few verical lines started to appear on my screen. I thought i'd do a pmu and pram reset.

I powered down, unplugged it, took the battery out, pressed the reset button. Then put the battery back in, plugged it back in and.... Nothing. Not even a green light at the plug.

Read in another post to unplug the keyboard and pull the ram. Did that. Nothing.

Thoughts? Help?

Thanks

UPDATE

Plug was shorting.
Still have verticle lines in screen though.
Plug the iBook into an external monitor. If you get the same lines on the external monitor then the GPU on the iBook is bad. That means logicboard replacement.

If the external monitor shows clean (no lines) then it means the display on the iBook is bad.

cmstuber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Plug the iBook into an external monitor. If you get the same lines on the external monitor then the GPU on the iBook is bad. That means logicboard replacement.

If the external monitor shows clean (no lines) then it means the display on the iBook is bad.

Will do and see. Thanks

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You need a special cable for video out. I could never get mine to work.

I have the cable but have never had it out of packaging.

Doesn't it have a stereo jack that plugs into the computer and breaks down into RCA video and audio? I don't think I've even looked at mine that closely.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have the cable but have never had it out of packaging.

Doesn't it have a stereo jack that plugs into the computer and breaks down into RCA video and audio? I don't think I've even looked at mine that closely.

It has something that resembles an iPod Shuffle charger with an extra contact. Seems to work best with TVs from what I saw on YT and only provides mirroring so that 800x600 is your lot. I put an XGA panel in mine and the firmware strings needed to output 1024x768 disable video out. No big loss.

cmstuber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Tore apart a set of apple earbud headphones with a mic since it had a TRRS plug. Just so y'all know... Tip and 1st ring are audio, 2nd ring is video and sleeve is ground.

No lines in video output so I'll be looking for a new screen in the near future.

Anyone got a parts clamshell with a known working screen they want to get rid of to make some room for more projects?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.