Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I have a 5th gen Airport Extreme, Apple refurbished, that makes buzzing noises on data downloads. The noise sounds similar to a spinning hard drive, but no hard drives are attached to the router, nor are there any in the area of the router. When it sits idle, the buzz noise doesn't sound.

I have about 2 weeks left on the one year warranty, should I have Apple look at it, or is that noise always there and I just started noticing it? I haven't seen any negative performance on my network lately.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I have a 5th gen Airport Extreme, Apple refurbished, that makes buzzing noises on data downloads. The noise sounds similar to a spinning hard drive, but no hard drives are attached to the router, nor are there any in the area of the router. When it sits idle, the buzz noise doesn't sound.

I have about 2 weeks left on the one year warranty, should I have Apple look at it, or is that noise always there and I just started noticing it? I haven't seen any negative performance on my network lately.

That's not normal. If I had to guess without hearing it, I'd say the power supply might be going. Downloading is heavier activity, causing higher power draw. You don't hear on idle because of the lower power draw.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Got in touch with Apple, they said I have to bring it in for testing and repair. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to an Apple Store (over an hour drive) until next weekend. We have a non-Airport router to use in the mean time, so not worried about being without it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Got in touch with Apple, they said I have to bring it in for testing and repair. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to an Apple Store (over an hour drive) until next weekend. We have a non-Airport router to use in the mean time, so not worried about being without it.

Another option is a send in repair. AppleCare can facilitate a repair where you send in your Extreme and they will repair or replace it. This maybe an easier option because you don't know if the Apple Store is going to have 5th gen. units in stock. The last time I got my school's 5th gen. replaced at the local Genius Bar they had to order one in from AppleCare and have me pick it up a few days later.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Another option is a send in repair. AppleCare can facilitate a repair where you send in your Extreme and they will repair or replace it. This maybe an easier option because you don't know if the Apple Store is going to have 5th gen. units in stock. The last time I got my school's 5th gen. replaced at the local Genius Bar they had to order one in from AppleCare and have me pick it up a few days later.

I asked the rep, as this would be the better option for me. But the rep said I have to go through an Apple Store or certified Apple repair shop first, then it would get forwarded to the proper repair facility. Neither option is close to where I live.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I asked the rep, as this would be the better option for me. But the rep said I have to go through an Apple Store or certified Apple repair shop first, then it would get forwarded to the proper repair facility. Neither option is close to where I live.

It is possible that mail in repairs on AirPorts is limited to the education and business market. Either way, I am sure that if you got out there and they didn't have the repair unit in stock that they would find a way to help you.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Oh I'm sure they will help me, Apple CS is one of my few expectations I have for the company. I just won't be able to get out there until next weekend. Only thing I'm worried about is having to make two trips, one to drop off the other to pick up. #firstworldproblem

I'm going to ask when I go for my appointment if they can ship me the replacement unit if they need to ship to me.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Oh I'm sure they will help me, Apple CS is one of my few expectations I have for the company. I just won't be able to get out there until next weekend. Only thing I'm worried about is having to make two trips, one to drop off the other to pick up. #firstworldproblem

I'm going to ask when I go for my appointment if they can ship me the replacement unit if they need to ship to me.

They likely will have the Extreme in stock but I am sure they will work with either shipping one to you or replacing it with a 6th generation in light of your situation if necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.