Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Hi everyone, finally said WTH and jail broke my 4s. I could not believe how easy it was. I loved rooting my Androids years ago but I've always feared I would screw up my iPhone so bad, it would be a brick.
I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could answer. What would I use to jailbreak my IPad 2 on 8.1.2? Are there any know issues with IPad 2 and Jailbreaking?
I googled and read some answers, but I'm leary to use info that's not on MacRumors.
Thx bunches for the advice and help.
Also does anyone know of a link that would be like a Jailbreaking for dummy's ?? I like to be prepared in case something goes wrong.. Lol

Thx again for the help..

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Jailbreak iPad 2 on 8.1.2

Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread.. I googled how to jailbreak my IPad 2 on 8.1.2, and I'm coming up with using
The TaiG jailbreak tool?? Is that recommended? Thx

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Congratulations! Welcome to the freedom to use and modify your device as you see fit.

Taig is the correct JB. Just download for your PC/Mac, connect and go.

To my knowledge, no known issues.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thank you friend , you gave me the courage to step out and try it. Funny, I was never nervous to flash roms, but then again I had someone like you that helped me. if I had a problem, I knew he could figure it out.. I know a heck of a lot about Androids and Apple. Except for the Jailbreaking stuff.. Lol The forums are much better places because people like you, make all the difference.. Thx so much.. All this tech stuff has always been fascinating to me, odd because when I did work, I was a special Ed. Teacher. No background of anything technical , but got into it flashing roms and reading anything I could find on the subject. Lol I'm the only woman in my friends group ( oldies, in my 40s) but I love it. Thank you again, you are awesome!!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL! Small world. :)

My mom is a retired teacher. Worked from the mid-60s (I was born in 1970) to about 2013 I think it was.

My sister is a special ed teacher in the Seattle school system. :D

Good luck to you and hope it goes well. Remember, unlike with a bad rom flash you can always restore. You may not end up on a jailbreakable version of iOS, but you won't have a brick.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Wow, it is a small world.. I was born in raised in Austin , Tx and born in 67.. Lol, I'll try it in an hour and see how it goes.. check back here ( pretty plz) before you go to bed in case I have a question . Lol you've been awesome!! Thx for the help and info..

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Darn, the link I followed to jailbreak 8.1.2 for my iPad 2 is broken.. any idea where I can get a working link?? Bummer, I am all pumped ready to do it.. Lol Thx so much

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks again, your an amazing asset to this forum .. Really appreciate it.. I'll cross my fingers all goes well.. will let you know soon..

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Well everything went just as you said it would.. no problems, was a little nerve racking being in Chinese, but I must of clicked the right boxes, as all is well. I did click on the tutorial but it just said to turn off find my iPhone during JB.. Im assuming I can turn it back on now, right ? Lol now I need to read up on neat tweaks, I won't go nuts and only add a couple at a time. The last thing I wanna try is to track down a problem tweak , and have to work it out. Lol. I'll check this forum to learn more, cool tweaks and more about cydia. I can't thank you enough . . I guess ( for the moment) I'm glad I can't JB my 6+, right now.. I'll take some time to learn more about it all. Thanks so much ... You are awesome ..

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for all your help. You gave me confidence to try it. Much appreciated .. I still haven't down loaded a them, reading about it. If it's a theme on Cydia, it should be safe right ??

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for all your help. You gave me confidence to try it. Much appreciated .. I still haven't down loaded a them, reading about it. If it's a theme on Cydia, it should be safe right ??
That depends.

This is where the responsibility on your part comes in. You have to do the internet research if you like a theme but it is not readily apparent that that theme is compatible with your device or version of iOS. With stock iPhones, the responsibility for making sure things work lies with Apple. So, with freedom comes the price of responsibility for what you put on your device.

You have to consider that there are still people out there with jailbroken versions of iOS 2.x, 3.x, 4.x and 5.x. So, what you find may only be for a version of iOS you don't have - or even a device.

So, do your research. That's what will keep you safe and prevent you from installing something that could force a restore - and the loss of your jailbreak.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks, I will.. Good advice.. So somewhere in the theme description it should say what version of iOS it works with, right? And I assume I would be ok with a version of 8.x right? Since I'm on 8.1.2

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, I will.. Good advice.. So somewhere in the theme description it should say what version of iOS it works with, right? And I assume I would be ok with a version of 8.x right? Since I'm on 8.1.2
Most devs after about iOS 6 started labeling what version of iOS their stuff was for.

But if you can't find it, Google it. Usually you can find from a Google result what version it's for. If not, ask.

Some devs label their stuff for multiple versions. They will say so in the description. In that case it's safe to use if your version is included.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Wow, I will google it if it isn't listed.. Perfect.. Why didn't I think of that?? Lol.. All I have installed thus far is winter board .. Lol still reading and watching videos about it. I wanna prevent having issues downloading a bunch of tweaks, have a problem, but don't know what's causing it because I downloaded too many tweaks at a time... Lol I've read enough on this forum to know people do that too often. Lol thanks again for your knowledge on the subject.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i have this version but as i said in my post when i atempt to jb i get a red x error message.
i've switched off find my phone,signed out of icloud and turned on airplane mode but still get that red x
I had to look up your other post. You filed it in the iOS 8 section instead of here in the jailbreak section. I am quoting it below…
hi all new to this forum,as in the heading of this post i want to jb my ipad air 2.
its currently running on 8.1.2 fw,i've tried TaiGJBreak_1210 but its all in chineese and i get a red x after pressing green button,i've followed all instructions like turning off find my phone,signing out of icloud and turning airplane mode on but still get the red x error,so i aint got a clue what i'm doing wrong.
i've tried to update to ios 9 through itunes but keeps saying ios 9.2 update is available and wont let me update to just ios 9.
i've spent about the past 10 hours trying to jb this ipad and its doing my nut in now.

can any 1 plz help me,advise me what to do cause i'm just going round in circles here.

ty
First off, when you updated to 8.1.2 whenever that was did you do an over the air update or did you update through iTunes?

Second, if you go to the link above you should get the English version. Third, you might want to try an earlier version of iTunes (earlier version of iTunes 11 I believe).

Lastly, iTunes won't let you go to 9.0 because you can only update to the firmware that Apple is currently signing. Right now that's 9.1 and 9.2 which are not jailbreakable. Apple stops signing older versions of iOS to prevent downgrading and jailbreaking.

So, your choice is either try and jailbreak 8.1.2 or update to 9.1 or 9.2 and remain stock.

rubixs

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh,this does not work,well for me it aint can some 1 plz help me b4 this ipad gets thrown against the wall

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If its not working, try another computer, try another cable, another USB port.

Some other things to try.

If on Windows, run as an Administrator. Have iTunes open when running (both Mac and Windows).

Jailbreaking my iPad Air 2 repeatedly failed until I used a different computer.

rubixs

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
I had to look up your other post. You filed it in the iOS 8 section instead of here in the jailbreak section. I am quoting it below…

First off, when you updated to 8.1.2 whenever that was did you do an over the air update or did you update through iTunes?

Second, if you go to the link above you should get the English version. Third, you might want to try an earlier version of iTunes (earlier version of iTunes 11 I believe).

Lastly, iTunes won't let you go to 9.0 because you can only update to the firmware that Apple is currently signing. Right now that's 9.1 and 9.2 which are not jailbreakable. Apple stops signing older versions of iOS to prevent downgrading and jailbreaking.

So, your choice is either try and jailbreak 8.1.2 or update to 9.1 or 9.2 and remain stock.

i believe it was already on 8.1.2 when purchased and i've done every step you have mentioned and other step by step guide's.
and that TaiGJBreak i've downloaded from about 10 different sources including the link u posted and all are in chineese writting.
i swear i'm getting so stressed i feel like throwing the stupid thing,i've been on it all day now

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i believe it was already on 8.1.2 when purchased and i've done every step you have mentioned and other step by step guide's.
and that TaiGJBreak i've downloaded from about 10 different sources including the link u posted and all are in chineese writting.
i swear i'm getting so stressed i feel like throwing the stupid thing,i've been on it all day now
Hmmmmm…things may have changed. The link seems to be pointing to an 8.1.3 to 8.4 jailbreak. Probably why you have a red X.

http://apt.taig.com/installer/en/TaiGJBreak_EN_1201.zip

Try this one^^^

Windows only.

rubixs

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
If its not working, try another computer, try another cable, another USB port.

Some other things to try.

If on Windows, run as an Administrator. Have iTunes open when running (both Mac and Windows).

Jailbreaking my iPad Air 2 repeatedly failed until I used a different computer.
tried it on my wife's laptop and it worked first time,so obviously its my laptop thats stopping it fron jb.
oh well i'm a happy bunny now,now to install a few free apps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.