Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lite426

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Is the actuation force higher on the butterfly keyboard than on the old one on MBPr and MacBook Air? Does it feel stiffer/more fatiguing? Which one do you find you can type faster on? Which do you prefer?

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
Is the actuation force higher on the butterfly keyboard than on the old one on MBPr and MacBook Air? Does it feel stiffer/more fatiguing? Which one do you find you can type faster on? Which do you prefer?

It feels like it takes a little more pressure, but its really hard to tell because the old keyboard doesn't have a nice click at the bottom of the key. The key travel takes some getting use to but it doesn't take long. Not sure if I can type faster, but I get positive reinforcement with the click overtime I press a key. The keys are also a little bigger which helps with accuracy after you get used to the new key spacing. Too early to decide on preference, but I'm starting to like the new keyboard.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
For a touch typist, it's really quite good. There is a significant difference between this and a traditional keyboard (in that it can be hard to feel where the keys are sometimes), but it's at least as good as the normal MBP keyboards. It can be loud to start with but once you tone down the pressure it's actually quite quiet. I find that I'm still not up to full speed compared with a traditional keyboard, but it's very close. And very pleasant and positive to use.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I actually think it's less pressure needed, and using the same amount of pressure as you're used to is what makes it seem so "clicky". You should try one out in a store, if that's feasible. Keep an open mind and stick with it for a few minutes.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I find it easier to type on the rMB, the keys are more stable and you can type using the same "force" or you can touch the keys lighter, both ways work fine. (except for my return key that's broken ;))

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I go back and forth daily between a standalone mac keyboard and the one on the new macbook. The macbook, without question, takes less force. I hate using the standalone keyboard now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.