Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaynecobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Hey All

I have 2 different computers, both with lots of space(thus I am not concerned about space)

I'd just like to confirm a few things.

1. If I have things set to "Optimize Mac Storage" it mentions Originals will also be stored on this Mac, if you have enough space.....so since I do....will originals be stored on both computers?

2. Again given that space is not an issue, would I be better to "Download Originals?" (I understand the difference when space IS an issue, I'm not as sure when space is not)

3. If I upload photos from my actual camera to either computer, it should upload it to the cloud and than be available in its original format on the other computer as well?(Even if not instantly ) Am I correct?

4. All of these should than be accessible on my iPhone correct?(I do have that set to optimize storage)

Just having a bit of trouble coordinating all this and I appreciate everyones help
Cheers

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
2. Again given that space is not an issue, would I be better to "Download Originals?" (I understand the difference when space IS an issue, I'm not as sure when space is not)

3. If I upload photos from my actual camera to either computer, it should upload it to the cloud and than be available in its original format on the other computer as well?(Even if not instantly ) Am I correct?

4. All of these should than be accessible on my iPhone correct?(I do have that set to optimize storage)

Just having a bit of trouble coordinating all this and I appreciate everyones help
Cheers

2) if you have the space available, I would always choose the option "Download Originals to this Mac" .. My reasoning is even servers fail and things get lost. At worst case scenario you still have all your original photos on your Mac locally. But even then you should still have a Time Machine running with it's own backup of everything. Did I mention backup and backups of backups are important :)

3) That is my understanding on how it works. A change on one device syncs with all other devices.

4) Yes they will all be available on your iPhone. If you need the full sized image you can download it even with optimized storage on if you need to.

jaynecobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
I appreciate the help!!!

Just to clarify in questions 1 and 2. If I have the space available. Does Optimize Mac Storage indeed keep the originals if I have the space?

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
It says it will in the settings but I haven't tested it in practice since I have the space. Since I have the space I just choose the option that forces the originals by default.

Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 11.34.13 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.