Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ed-hawco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Montreal, QC
Hey. The following annoying problem started a couple of months ago on my Mac Mini (OSX 10.10.3). It only seems to happen with Pages, Numbers, and TextEdit. It’s this:

Let’s say I open File1 and work on it. Then I open File2 and work on it. I close File1, work on File2 a bit more, then save it and close it. Next time I open the app, both File1 and File 2 open!

Note that only File2 was open when I closed the app! Sometime the last three or even four files will open, even though only one file was open when I quit the application.

Any idea what might be going on? All apps and the OS are up-to-date. One thing that might or might not matter: most of these files live on either Dropbox or Copy.com. That should NOT matter, but hey, who knows.

All suggestions welcome!

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Have a look in /Users/yourname/Library/Saved\ Application\ State (That's the Saved Application State folder of your user library).
Deleting the relevant folders there e.g. com.apple.Pages.savedState should clear up the problem for you.
The next time you open the misbehaving Apps, they should not auto-open any documents.

Info on savedStates in Yosemite

ed-hawco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Montreal, QC
Thanks Partron22. Unfortunately that didn't work.

BTW, the files for Numbers and Pages were in a different location:
/Users/<me>/Library/Containers

I deleted them, then started Numbers. Numbers acted like it was the first time opening (offered me a tour, etc.). I opened File1, saved it, and closed it. Then I opened File 2 (which I had not opened since yesterday) and both File1 and File2 opened. :-/

jack1011

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
I don't know what could be causing this, so I'm not going to be of much help. All I have for you is a way to prevent the apps from reopening any documents. It's not ideal, but personally I would find that preferable to having them reopen a bunch of stuff I don't want.

Go to System Preferences>General and enable the "Close windows when quitting an app" option.

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.