Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
When you drag a folder in Windows to another folder that contains a folder with the same name, it asks if you want to replace any filenames or folders that have the same name. So, in the end, it merges the two folders together.

Mac OS X, on the other hand, completely replaces them. My question is: How can I merge a folder like in Windows?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
OSX should ask you whether you want to replace items too. Isn't it doing this for you? :(

The wording is slightly different for both operating systems, but they act the same to the best of my knowledge (in this respect).

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
mad jew said:
OSX should ask you whether you want to replace items too. Isn't it doing this for you? :(

The wording is slightly different for both operating systems, but they act the same to the best of my knowledge (in this respect).
Nope, no Replace option.

Screenshot:

picture11aj.png

I would assume Replace means to replace the folder I am moving with the folder I am replacing, completely, entirely.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
The Mac doesn't work the same way as Windows in this respect. I don't know of a way around that, although I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to write an AppleScript to merge two folders.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Gary King is correct... when you take a folder, say a folder of music, and drag it to another music folder to add its contents to the other folder, the dragged folder completely overwrites the destination folder- therefore all files in the destination folder are no longer there.

As far as I know, there's no "merging" option like in Windows (my MacBook Pro is my first Mac, so I completely understand your dilemma, it annoys me as well...)
But I think it's just a feature of Unix-style OSes... you have to go inside, copy the contents, then go inside the other folder and paste them.

Obewong

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Merging folders... sucks on a mac

Trying to install some Eclipse plugins on a mac, which involves merging folders together in the eclipse application root. It seems absurd to me that you can't merge folders with the Mac OSX GUI and you have to resort to using a linux cp command. Though it woks fine, how come the dialog box gives you a 'replace' option but not a 'merge'. How hard could that be to add to the interface? Not hard at all I imagine!

durija

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I think you mean Unix.

Anyway, I agree that it would be nice to have a GUI way to merge folders. Former (and concurrent) Windows users could easily lose data. I accidentally lost something this way once and had to go back to the customer (embarrassed) to ask him to send his files again.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Actually, I think it'll work. Just try to drag the contents of one folder into the other folder... However, it if contains subfolders, they will be either replaced or not, depending on your choice, but not merged.

Pit

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
Eh so Finder doesnt merge folders? And I have to use terminal?
So much for 'just works'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.