Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
What are we expecting from it? I know it has some privacy things in it, but that's it.

What would you like?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
What are we expecting from it? I know it has some privacy things in it, but that's it.

What would you like?

Based off the I/O schedule, Google is set to show off more wearable info, car enhancements, voice command enhancements (more for wearables, Android TV and in car voice commands would be my guess here), material design features updated (to include multi-person access/use from multiple devices simultaneously), updated privacy controls on a per app basis, more interoperability between Chrome and Android (which could just mean extensions?), and likely some mobile game enhancements (multiplayer mode on the same network, so you can have a Mario Kart like experience with you and your friends?)

I don't expect this to be a full point release either. I expect to see it go from 5.1 to 5.2, not 6.0.

P.S. I've been calling it Android Mocha for a couple of months now. Mocha is my guess.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Based off the I/O schedule, Google is set to show off more wearable info, car enhancements, voice command enhancements (more for wearables, Android TV and in car voice commands would be my guess here), material design features updated (to include multi-person access/use from multiple devices simultaneously), updated privacy controls on a per app basis, more interoperability between Chrome and Android (which could just mean extensions?), and likely some mobile game enhancements (multiplayer mode on the same network, so you can have a Mario Kart like experience with you and your friends?)

I don't expect this to be a full point release either. I expect to see it go from 5.1 to 5.2, not 6.0.

P.S. I've been calling it Android Mocha for a couple of months now. Mocha is my guess.

Marshmallow sounds more Google-ish...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012

Sounds like a pretty big release. And here I was hoping for a smaller bugfix release that focused on making it run better with some privacy sprinkled in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With the adoption rate so low for Lollipop, will google delay the new version?

I wonder if it will be a major update, or just x.x update

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh I do hope for it to be called M&M's haha that would be brilliant :)

I have no idea what to expect from it though? Maybe more integration with a mobile payment system as didn't Google buy someone? Or a bigger push on Google wallet.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
My vote as well, if they don't have an agreement to use M&M. Not sure what kind of logo or statue Google would put up on their lawn for Mocha. ;)

Lawn figure won't be an issue. Look at Eclaire, Donut and Cupcake.

Google_lawn.jpg

But if it came down to it, it wouldn't be hard to create a Mocha Android statue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 185

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
With the adoption rate so low for Lollipop, will google delay the new version?

I wonder if it will be a major update, or just x.x update

Announcement is this month. Rollout may not happen until fall??
Yep 10% of devices only on Lollipop after nearly a year is sad, they need to make Android M significant to the 90+% of people who likely will never see it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Lawn figure won't be an issue. Look at Eclaire, Donut and Cupcake.

But if it came down to it, it wouldn't be hard to create a Mocha Android statue

Not that i care what they call it, ...that really doesnt matter to me but Mocha isnt a desert. Even a Macaroon or M&M's would fit better.

----------

Yep 10% of devices only on Lollipop after nearly a year is sad, they need to make Android M significant to the 90+% of people who likely will never see it.

If they would take control of their updates away from carriers, it would be a lot faster. I dont know why these phone makers allow carriers to load their crap on these phones. I dont need TMobiles lame features that cost money on my phone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If they would take control of their updates away from carriers, it would be a lot faster.

Agreed, this is one area that I think Android falls down on. Since technically Android is open sourced, I don't think they can do anything other then release the code. The only leverage is with the google apps/services licensing.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If they would take control of their updates away from carriers, it would be a lot faster. I dont know why these phone makers allow carriers to load their crap on these phones. I dont need TMobiles lame features that cost money on my phone.

Sometimes updates are not the best idea for older devices.

I ended up with iOS 8.x crap on my iPad minis, which has messed them up with bogus browser reloads and WiFi glitches.

If Apple let me downgrade, I'd be so much happier :)

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Sometimes updates are not the best idea for older devices.

I ended up with iOS 8.x crap on my iPad minis, which has messed them up with bogus browser reloads and WiFi glitches.

If Apple let me downgrade, I'd be so much happier :)

yep, one of my main complaints about iOS is no downgrading, and one of my main complaints about android is slower/weird update structure reliant on OEMS(but at least you can downgrade)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
yep, one of my main complaints about iOS is no downgrading, and one of my main complaints about android is slower/weird update structure reliant on OEMS(but at least you can downgrade)

You can downgrade if you jailbreak and get the OS from iclarified or another place that has the OS links. Before i sold my Original iPhone, i downgraded it from 3.1 to 2.1 so it would run better.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
You can downgrade if you jailbreak and get the OS from iclarified or another place that has the OS links. Before i sold my Original iPhone, i downgraded it from 3.1 to 2.1 so it would run better.

yea only iPhone 4 or earlier can be downgraded now :( there is a way to downgrade ipad 2 but it has a bunch of preconditions, like saved ios 4 and ios 6 shsh blobs

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Agreed, this is one area that I think Android falls down on. Since technically Android is open sourced, I don't think they can do anything other then release the code. The only leverage is with the google apps/services licensing.

Two separate issues here. Open source pretty much gives OEM's freedom to add skins and "enhancement" features. Agree, not much Google can do other than make their core apps (most critically, Maps) crippled or inoperable on anything but pure Android. Just don't see that happening.

Separately, there are carrier demands for (mostly) bloatware and (some) customization. Currently, IMO only Samsung has the market share and clout tell carriers (as Apple does) no bloatware/customization, "take it or leave it." Theoretically, if all the major Android OEMs united in this position carriers would have no choice since they can't sell their product without devices. Don't see that happening either.

If they could kill the second step of this process -- carrier customization/clearance -- I think updates would get out much, much quicker, since OEMs would only have to do one update per device and there would be OEM competition to be first/fast (with no carriers to blame).

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Not that i care what they call it, ...that really doesnt matter to me but Mocha isnt a desert. Even a Macaroon or M&M's would fit better.

----------

I look at Android in the same fashion I view Windows. The cost of the machines are subsidized by third parties and distributors to help sustain margins in a world where the only control they have is in the manufacturing of the hardware.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I look at Android in the same fashion I view Windows. The cost of the machines are subsidized by third parties and distributors to help sustain margins in a world where the only control they have is in the manufacturing of the hardware.

Microsoft announced recently that THEY are taking over updates to mobile devices for Windows 10 because of complaints of carriers taking their time.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-says-its-taking-over-updates-for-windows-10-mobile-devices/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.