Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yurtal

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Hello, I have a mac pro 2010 model with the 2.8 quad core. I was wanting to ask if it is possible to upgrade the CPU, and if so is it something a home user could do themselves? Also, I have no idea what I can upgrade to, could someone please help me pinpoint what I have available and also where to buy from. I'm in Australia but can buy internationally.

Thanks a million.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
There are so many threads concerning your question, I'm really surprised you asked. Do a Search and you'll find them.

Short answer is a W3690 or X5690 are the top CPUs you can use in your single CPU 5,1 Mac Pro. Both are rated a 3.46 GHz. Installation is relatively easy.

Lou

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Hello, I have a mac pro 2010 model with the 2.8 quad core. I was wanting to ask if it is possible to upgrade the CPU, and if so is it something a home user could do themselves? Also, I have no idea what I can upgrade to, could someone please help me pinpoint what I have available and also where to buy from. I'm in Australia but can buy internationally.

Thanks a million.

As already mentioned the Intel W3690 or Intel X5690 would be decent upgrades. Pretty sure you will find several W3690 or X5690 cpus for sale in HongKong.
NB The Intel Xeon E5506 mentioned above by Roasting Pig won't be an upgrade, but a downgrade, in case you missed his sense of humour.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.