Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I just moved and have no internet

This is my setup

ATV3
AEBS-external hard drive with iTunes Library(all iTunes bought media)
MBP

All devices are connected to the same wireless network and they all have home sharing turned on using the same Apple ID

When I try to select something to play on the ATV I am told the MBP needs to be authorised, it is already authorised

When I try to play something on the MBP and Airplay it to the ATV the attached error comes up

Has anyone got any ideas as to why this would be happening? Before I moved, everything worked fine, I haven't changed any settings on any device, the only difference is there is no longer internet connected to the network, which i wouldn't think would change anything considering it is all locally stored.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 20.49.19.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 20.49.19.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 586

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
there has been debate on this issue before on this forum, from my experience, home sharing will not work without an internet connection, even with content ripped from home media. it does however, work when i go to my computer and airplay it to my atv, just not directly from the atv. others have reported that this is not the case for them and home sharing works fine without an internet connection for their own ripped content.

in this case it seems it may need an initial internet connection to get things up and running, try connecting all devices to a hotspot to get a jumpstart?

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Even for AirPlay? I'll give it a go when I get home, thanks for your help

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
If you're willing to spend a little money and have hotspot capability on your phone, you can actually make it work.

When I moved, I set up my home network just like it had been at my previous apartment. Instead of connecting my wireless router to the internet, I connected it to a wireless bridge.

I connected the bridge to my iPhone hotspot, and just like that, my home network, including iTunes and Apple TV, thought it was back on the net. The actual internet usage for home sharing was pretty low, so I didn't have any data cap worries, just had to be careful of updates.

I used that setup for about two months before I finally got internet at my house. The ATV would sometimes work without an internet connection, but usually, it needed the connection. iTunes content wouldn't even AirPlay. I think non-DRMed content would AirPlay, not sure about Home Sharing.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.