Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Hi all, was wondering you thoughts on the new AMD GPU in the updated Macbook Pro Retina? Still has the same amount of VRAM, I'm yet to see benchmarks but what is everyone's opinion on the upgrade?

Amnios

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
I'm thinking the same, it looks like the M370X is the latest chip from AMD, but the only info I can get on it is from December last year.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I'm thinking the same, it looks like the M370X is the latest chip from AMD, but the only info I can get on it is from December last year.

Yeah, the chip seems pretty new, can't find out a lot about it.

Whats your personal opinion on the jump to AMD? I feel like they are less reliable (personal opinion of course) and lack of CUDA cores is a downgrade.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

Whats your personal opinion on the jump to AMD? I feel like they are less reliable (personal opinion of course) and lack of CUDA cores is a downgrade.

Realistically it might be they are more energy-efficient than Nvidia's options at that level, and/or AMD is willing to give Apple a better deal on them.

Reactions: Yebubbleman

Amnios

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
Considering OS X is more of a controlled (and closed) system we shouldn't have as many driver issues, especially with games, that Windows has.

As for the actual stats of the two cards I don't know, but ultimately it's down to actual performance, rather than paper stats.

xiwong

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2013
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r5-r7-r9-300-rebrand-mobility-driver-update/

Seems like it's going to be a rebrand. So, essentially it's the 7870m/8870m/R9 m270. Performance and efficiency will be much below Maxwell.

I'm not sure about reliability, but the recent GPU failures seem to be Apple's fault as no other manufacturer with the same chips seems to be having problems. For CUDA, since it has never worked well on Mac (just look for the Adobe thread about premiere pro and after effects), we're not loosing much.

Amnios

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
Damn, looks like it's best waiting for some benchmarks before deciding to take the plunge.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013

Seems like it's going to be a rebrand. So, essentially it's the 7870m/8870m/R9 m270. Performance and efficiency will be much below Maxwell.

I'm not sure about reliability, but the recent GPU failures seem to be Apple's fault as no other manufacturer with the same chips seems to be having problems. For CUDA, since it has never worked well on Mac (just look for the Adobe thread about premiere pro and after effects), we're not loosing much.

Apart from when booting into Windows though.

----------

Personally, I would have rather seen a 960m but it seems like Apple are wanting to go all AMD.

Maybe its due to Nvidia becoming more competition in mobile SoC's that they are moving the AMD?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

It's actually the successor to those parts (Strato XT):

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/16592/amd-radeon-mobility-r9-m300-series-get-benchmarked/

Amnios

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
Personally, I would have rather seen a 960m but it seems like Apple are wanting to go all AMD.

Maybe its due to Nvidia becoming more competition in mobile SoC's that they are moving the AMD?

Same here, AMD are just in too much trouble and nVidia seem to be making some really good GPUs of late.

As for your competition, go look at who makes most of the mobile A class chips for the iOS devices ;)

Reactions: Vanilla35

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
At least NVIDIA owned up to the flaws and reimbursed Apple for issuing the recall program for the '08 and '10 MBPs. Meanwhile, it took a lawsuit for Apple to finally issue a recall program for Radeongate in '11.
Radeongate only happened to Apple, while nvidiagate happened to all laptops with those chips

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have no idea about this graphics card but what I will say is that this update looks to put the nail in the coffin for Broadwell H....

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Radeongate only happened to Apple, while nvidiagate happened to all laptops with those chips

What about the GT 330M in the 2010 MBPs and the GT 650M in the Ivy Bridge rMBPs, which were part of the recall program as well? As far as I recall, these NVIDIA GPUs didn't fail in other laptops besides that of Apple's, but it didn't take a lawsuit for Apple to launch a replacement program for these chips, because NVIDIA reimbursed them.

0x100

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
Japan

I think apple wants opencl to get more development. Its good.

Amnios

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
Considering I have an Early 2013 rMBP with an nVidia M650 GPU I'm thinking the jump to the R9 370X (even if it's rebranded) is going to be fairly large.

What are people's thoughts? A GPU refresh has been the one thing I've been waiting on.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Apple typically doesn't keep the higher end model in the store as a demo do they? I'm really waiting for benchmarks. I plan on selling (if I buy) this computer once Skylake comes out but I'm debating if the upgrade is worth it. I was really looking for a 950m at least but now I'm unsure as we have yet to see benchmarks for this chip.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I'm very happy about it due to AMD's better open source support. I might consider getting a rMBP with an AMD GPU because they should run OpenBSD much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.