Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Looking to replace my ATI 5870 in my 2012 Mac Pro 12 core.I think I do want the boot up screen, so I can easily go between OS X, and Windows. Thanks.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Barefeats.com is good place to start, he has tests of all recent GPUs in the drivers.

More importantly, you need to consider your needs and wants for next couple of years.

CUDA vs OpenCl vs OpenGL

Happy with current displays or hankering to join the 4K & 5K revolution?

If you see yourself buying a 4K or 5K display and want bootscreens on those then Nvidia Maxwell cards are the only choice. Even nMP sits blind & dumb during boot on most of those due to 2011 era GPUs.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Barefeats.com is good place to start, he has tests of all recent GPUs in the drivers.

More importantly, you need to consider your needs and wants for next couple of years.

CUDA vs OpenCl vs OpenGL

Happy with current displays or hankering to join the 4K & 5K revolution?

If you see yourself buying a 4K or 5K display and want bootscreens on those then Nvidia Maxwell cards are the only choice. Even nMP sits blind & dumb during boot on most of those due to 2011 era GPUs.

Open GL is fine. I think I only have two choice right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.