Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
A few items available, but no competition for the Dig AV from Apple .. Yet.
Power pass through and multi USB 3 would suite many, but I don't see that either. Hopefully soon.

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
Or just buy a USB-A male to USB-C male cable and use a standard USB power adapter (with enough power output, obviously).

uczmeg

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Not sure it's viable, but I want a magsafe (both versions) to USB C adaptor so I can continue to use the power supplies we have already and avoid the need to pay for more, and, more importantly not have to plug in more adaptors....

wkrp28

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Menlo Park, CA
Not sure it's viable, but I want a magsafe (both versions) to USB C adaptor so I can continue to use the power supplies we have already and avoid the need to pay for more, and, more importantly not have to plug in more adaptors....

That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath given the stranglehold that Apple has on everything related to MagSafe connectors.

dimension6

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
That's a negative, I think. Apple wants you to buy new adapters/cables, of course :)

What I'd like to see is a tiny USB-C power splitter so I can charge multiple devices from the Apple charger. That would be really useful for traveling, as I'd be able to charge my Watch/iPhone from the same adapter at the same time.

If anyone's interested, I'm charging my MacBook right now from an AC outlet USB port in my wall that I installed awhile back (it puts out 2A@5V). It keeps the MacBook nicely at 100% and charges slowly but it will lose charge slowly if I'm doing anything intensive.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

Haha. MagSafe to go USB-C adapter - that will never happen. Have you seen any 3rd party MagSafe accessories? Me neither. The reason for that is simple - Apple doesn't license MagSafe, and they will gladly sue anyone who tries to make something like this into non-existence.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Haha. MagSafe to go USB-C adapter - that will never happen. Have you seen any 3rd party MagSafe accessories? Me neither. The reason for that is simple - Apple doesn't license MagSafe, and they will gladly sue anyone who tries to make something like this into non-existence.

This, and the fact that a tiny magsafe connector would disconnect very easily. If would not be good to have a drive corrupted from a premature disconnect. IMO magsafe is good for power and that about it. I boot off external drive from frequentky and would not take a chance with a magsafe data connection.

uczmeg

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
This, and the fact that a tiny magsafe connector would disconnect very easily. If would not be good to have a drive corrupted from a premature disconnect. IMO magsafe is good for power and that about it. I boot off external drive from frequentky and would not take a chance with a magsafe data connection.

Apple released a tiny Magsafe 1 to magsafe 2 connector. Hoped they would do the same, but I guess power output could be an issue.

I'm quite impressed I've not lost the little thing the past 3 years...

wkrp28

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Menlo Park, CA

nc11

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Amazon UK has a few. Ordered a cable and an adapter. Will use the cable to charge with an iPad/iPhone charger, and the adapter for the lightning cable of the same devices.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
Having now fully switched over to the Macbook (from the rMBP) I had to order 4 chargers and 4 cables and 3 HDMI adapters (two work setups + for travel). Pretty nice business Apple has with that alone when you calculate the total for those alone. Similar like the Lightning switch some years ago. Well, at least USB C should last a while.

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
I took a chance and ordered one of these:

Magsafe Female TO USB-C USB 3.1 Type C Male Power Converter Cable for Apple New Macbook 12"

I have no idea whether it will work or what the quality is like. They are half the price of buying another Apple 29W adapter and let me charge either a MacBook Air or a MacBook (retina). I'm not endorsing this since I haven't received it yet. I'm just letting people know it exists. I'll report back when I get it.

wow, they already built one....

look forward to hearing from you

wkrp28

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Menlo Park, CA
wow, they already built one....

look forward to hearing from you

It may be a while. I got a very generic shipping notice saying "Under normal circumstance, the package should be there within 10-45 business days." The tracking number doesn't seem to be in the system yet. I'll post here when I get it.

wkrp28

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Menlo Park, CA
I received the adapter and so far it works. It looks like a surplus Magsafe female component was used, but that is speculation on my part. NOTE, this is the original MagSafe 1, NOT MagSafe 2.

This seems to work as a way of repurposing your old MagSafe 1 chargers, but I can't vouch for longevity or other aspects of it at this point.

Reactions: palmwangja

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
I received the adapter and so far it works. It looks like a surplus Magsafe female component was used, but that is speculation on my part. NOTE, this is the original MagSafe 1, NOT MagSafe 2.

This seems to work as a way of repurposing your old MagSafe 1 chargers, but I can't vouch for longevity or other aspects of it at this point.

Thanks for the report, what about the charging speed?? I guess MagSafe will charge fast considering it has at least 45W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.