Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Did you ever think the day would come when we could call someone right from our wrists? It still seems like the stuff that science fiction is made of, but you can, in fact, make and receive phone calls on Apple Watch. On Apple Watch, calls are routed through the iPhone, but you can answer even with your iPhone in another room or tucked away in a pocket, carrying on an entire conversation right from your watch.

Answering a Call

applewatchincomingcall-250x263.jpg
Answering a phone call is self-explanatory. When the call comes in, all you have to do is tap the green answer button. If you don't want to answer it, you can tap the red decline button and send the call to voicemail instead.

You can also choose to answer the call on your iPhone or send a text message. When the call comes in, turn the Digital Crown or swipe upwards to access these options.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Answer and Make Phone Calls on Apple Watch

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Did you ever think the day would come when we could call someone right from our wrists?

Yes. But I didn't think we'd need a lengthy article to explain how to do it.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm waiting for all the comments complaining either of the articles' unnecessary content or how "stupid" it'll look to be talking to your wrist.

If you feel upset about either of these things please feel free to not exercise your freedom of speech about it. We've already heard.

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
I'm waiting for all the comments complaining either of the articles' unnecessary content or how "stupid" it'll look to be talking to your wrist.

If you feel upset about either of these things please feel free to not exercise your freedom of speech about it. We've already heard.

Whoops! Too late.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi

If you feel upset about people posting their views, please feel free not to exercise your freedom of speech about it. We've already heard. Oh, hang on...

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013

Or you could stop acting like the comment is such an inconvenience, like when they mess up your Starbucks coffee.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Receiving a call fine but if my iPhone is right beside me why would I try and make a call on my watch? Seems odd. #oldmancan'tchangehisways

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL

Oh the irony of your statement. "Allow me to complain about your impending complaining" lol

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Did you ever think the day would come when we could call someone right from our wrists? It still seems like the stuff that science fiction is made of, but you can, in fact, make and receive phone calls on Apple Watch. On Apple Watch, calls are routed through the iPhone, but you can answer even with your iPhone in another room or tucked away in a pocket, carrying on an entire conversation right from your watch.

Answering a Call

Answering a phone call is self-explanatory. When the call comes in, all you have to do is tap the green answer button. If you don't want to answer it, you can tap the red decline button and send the call to voicemail instead.

You can also choose to answer the call on your iPhone or send a text message. When the call comes in, turn the Digital Crown or swipe upwards to access these options.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Answer and Make Phone Calls on Apple Watch

You can also ask Siri to call a specific number: e.g. "Hey Siri, call 123-123-4567."

It's quite handy to do that and then pick up my phone, so I can be lazy about the whole procedure if there's a new number I've googled that I need to call etc.

ALSO, you can't receive or make FaceTime calls from/on an Apple Watch, which I guess is common knowledge.

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
"Did you ever think the day would come when we could call someone right from our wrists?"

I still can't most of the time as I use Wifi calling at home and work on my iPhone and that disables the calls from the watch!

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Next article:

How to view a text message on the Apple watch.

Tomorrow:

How to use Apple pay.

Thursday:

How to measure your heartbeat.

Watch is so complicated we will be waist deep in articles until Apple Watch 2 is released.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Any Apple watch owners having difficulty placing or receiving phone calls? Mine will start a call but immediately fail. Furthermore, no call notice will come in as my iPhone sits there ringing. Apple customer support is stumped on this one. Btw, all other notifications work beautifully so it doesn't seem to be a connection issue. This is the sole feature that does not work for me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Next article:

How to view a text message on the Apple watch.

Tomorrow:

How to use Apple pay.

Thursday:

How to measure your heartbeat.

Watch is so complicated we will be waist deep in articles until Apple Watch 2 is released.

Articles don't imply complexity.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Any Apple watch owners having difficulty placing or receiving phone calls? Mine will start a call but immediately fail. Furthermore, no call notice will come in as my iPhone sits there ringing. Apple customer support is stumped on this one. Btw, all other notifications work beautifully so it doesn't seem to be a connection issue. This is the sole feature that does not work for me.

Yeah mine intermittently does these things. I haven't updated yet so hopefully that will help.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I think you will find, your comment will upset more people. And yes we already heard it all before.....

----------

The irony doesn't invalidate the statement though.

Kind of pointless statement though , it's MR, people complain ;)

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
if I am working out at a gym, my phone is in a locker, and my Apple Watch is on my wrist, will I be able to receive and answer calls from the watch provided that both the iPhone and the watch are connected to the gym's Wi-Fi? In other words, is the Bluetooth proximity between the iPhone and the Apple Watch required for this feature to work or does it work purely over Wi-Fi?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Can we get a guide to show us how to turn our watch on and off? Thanks.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
As a non Apple watch owner I'm actually enjoying reading the how to guides as it gives me an insight into its features and ease of use and any issues. I might come across a guide for a killer feature that I didn't know about too to make me go and buy one!

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Did you ever think the day would come when we could call someone right from our wrists? It still seems like the stuff that science fiction is made of, but you can, in fact, make and receive phone calls on Apple Watch.

Sorry, but this statement makes it sound like the Apple Watch is the first smartwatch to offer this functionality. Where, in fact, it is not the first. So, yes, I did think the day would come because it had already come last year with the Samsung Gear S:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-s-first-smartwatch-that-can-make-calls-independently-1462906

(It gives me no pleasure in pointing this out since I dispise Samsung. But facts are facts.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think you will find, your comment will upset more people. And yes we already heard it all before.....

----------

Kind of pointless statement though , it's MR, people complain ;)
So basically then more of an expected statement in that case. ;)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I got my watch on Friday and am loving it. I watched all the videos and was ready for it. However, I only knew about the favorites for making calls by clicking the button. I had actually not tried using the phone app, so I thought I was limited to just my favorites. Now I see that I can get to my entire contact list through the App. I am sure that after experimenting a little I would have discovered this, but am glad that MR gave me that little nugget. Not sure how much I will actually call from the watch though.

All you naysayers here. Boo to you. You are probably just jealous because you aren't rocking the watch like I am. :cool::D;):rolleyes::eek::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.