Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
My older iPhone seems to have a tiny chip in the lens (by that I mean the external portion, which technically I guess is the lens cover). Photos have a purple flaw. Zoomed in, it actually looks like the profile of a tiny cockroach!

I can remove this fairly well using the Photos app built-in repair tool, when it's against a regular background, like sky, concrete, fabric and the like. But I need a sharp edged repair tool for when it appears over sharp edges, like bridge support cables and the like. Otherwise, it blurs the sharp edges.

Photography isn't really my thing, so I'm not looking to spring for Photoshop or the like. Other than cropping and adjusting color with the "magic" tool, I don't do much.

Any suggestions though for sharp edged repair tool?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My older iPhone seems to have a tiny chip in the lens (by that I mean the external portion, which technically I guess is the lens cover). Photos have a purple flaw. Zoomed in, it actually looks like the profile of a tiny cockroach!

I can remove this fairly well using the Photos app built-in repair tool, when it's against a regular background, like sky, concrete, fabric and the like. But I need a sharp edged repair tool for when it appears over sharp edges, like bridge support cables and the like. Otherwise, it blurs the sharp edges.

Photography isn't really my thing, so I'm not looking to spring for Photoshop or the like. Other than cropping and adjusting color with the "magic" tool, I don't do much.

Any suggestions though for sharp edged repair tool?

Sorry to be cheeky, not my intention but have you thought about just getting your phone fixed? might be more cost effective in the long run, you wont be trying to shoot round it all the time and spending more time editing it out in post plus it will restore some resale value for it maybe?

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
Replace the phone.

I have, but this older one is unlocked and occasionally I use it internationally with a local SIM. the new one can't be unlocked yet.

----------

Sorry to be cheeky, not my intention but have you thought about just getting your phone fixed? might be more cost effective in the long run, you wont be trying to shoot round it all the time and spending more time editing it out in post plus it will restore some resale value for it maybe?

Yeah Apple can't fix just that part. I plan to pop into a jewelry store to ask them if they can do anything. But I do still have a bunch of photos with this blemish already.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd have to agree with the others, I don't think its worth the work effort, just get it replaced :)

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
I'd have to agree with the others, I don't think its worth the work effort, just get it replaced :)

Well, not worth the price an unlocked iPhone would cost. Nor the pain in the butt to carry two phones around when outside the US. Until my current iPhone can be unlocked, I'm stuck using my iPhone 5 internationally. :(

By the way, if you want to see what I'm talking about:

picture.php

Last edited:

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
For less than $100, you can get a decent point & shoot camera.

That's what I was thinking when the thread was first posted. But you have to consider the reality distortion field, and people here believe their iPhone cameras are better than prosumer DSLRs.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
That's what I was thinking when the thread was first posted. But you have to consider the reality distortion field, and people here believe their iPhone cameras are better than prosumer DSLRs.

I hear you. Maybe the next version of Photo Shop will include a filter to fix the "reality distortion fielld." :rolleyes:

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California

I hear you. Maybe the next version of Photo Shop will include a filter to fix the "reality distortion fielld." :rolleyes:

OMG. :eek: Guys, you're all missing the point. A $100 camera can't be used as a phone, or for directions, or the web, or text messaging, etc., etc., so it would be a poor substitute for the iPhone. And I don't want to carry around two devices.

You know, just never mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.