Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
So I finally got my new Macbook yesterday. The size is simply awesome! My 13" rMBP looks retro in comparison.

Okay, so the hinge on the new Macbook. it seems to me much less stiff than the rMBP. It doesn't seem to be loose, but in comparison to the rMBP, is much easier to move and has more wobble to it. Is this normal with you guys?

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
So I finally got my new Macbook yesterday. The size is simply awesome! My 13" rMBP looks retro in comparison.

Okay, so the hinge on the new Macbook. it seems to me much less stiff than the rMBP. It doesn't seem to be loose, but in comparison to the rMBP, is much easier to move and has more wobble to it. Is this normal with you guys?

Mine is pretty much the same compared to previous versions.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I am just beginning to notice that my hinge mechanism has quite low resistance too, I was using it last night and it definitely feels like it has more movement than when I first unboxed it (I can't have used it more than 12-15 hours so far).

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I don't know about decreasing resistance over time, but the hinge is looser because the base of the rMB is lighter than the one on the rMBP and others. For the machine to open without the user having to hold the base in place, the hinge has to be looser than on previous machines.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Mine is also not very tight compared to the hinge of my Macbook 11.

TheSteves

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Planet Earth

My hinge is fine. Let them adjust it in the apple store or certified tech. After 2 years of global travelling and abuse I had the same problem with my RMBP 15 and it was fixed in 5 minutes for free.

But one thing to underline: does this little thing make everything else out there look stone age!!

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Thanks for the replies. Mine is not loose, but there is a certain amount of swag at the top part of the screen. This can be noted when you move the MacBook around with the screen opened, for example.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
By way of update:

There is still some swag/movement in the screen. Has anyone else not noticed this when writing on a slightly wobble table? A little annoying to see the screen bounce. Okay, try using your Macbook in a car! lol

Some reassurance is that I went into the Apple Store today. All the display models were like mine, so it does not appear to be a manufacturing defect. Just thinking if it is a compromise for having such a light computer.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
If it was the same stiffness as older rMBPs you'd struggle to open it. The base simply isn't heavy enough. You'd have to prise it open with two hands.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
If it was the same stiffness as older rMBPs you'd struggle to open it. The base simply isn't heavy enough. You'd have to prise it open with two hands.

Exactly - with the thinner display chassis it'd also put additional stress onto the frame and potentially cause warping or damage over time.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014

Normal. It has to be loose enough so you can lift the lid without lifting the base.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.