Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I LOVE how it looks. I love flat, colorful designs. It's just my preference.

Given that, Yosemite feels quite buggy and less smooth.

It's not like it's unusable, but something doesn't feel fluid with yosemite.
What do you guys think?

PS THIS THREAD WAS MEANT TO GET ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE WITH REGARDS TO YOSEMITE, IT WAS NOT MY INTENTION TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE YOSEMITE WAS AWFUL. SOMETIMES I FORGET HOW SENSITIVE THIS FORUM IS. SORRY PLS ROLL BACK YOUR EYES NOW, EYE ROLLERS. WE DON'T WANT STRAINED EYES NOW, DO WE?

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Ah, no. For those of us that have had the "pleasure" of using Lion know how bad THAT was. Yosemite is a marginal improvement, but still an improvement.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Ah, no. For those of us that have had the "pleasure" of using Lion know how bad THAT was. Yosemite is a marginal improvement, but still an improvement.

I never understood the intense distaste for Lion. I never had any major issues.

Last edited:

smoge

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Mavericks was vista and Yosemite Is W8, apple missed out the 'good one'

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Do you mean it made it slow? I had a 2011 15" MacBook Pro and didn't have any issues.

Slow? Made it damn near unusable. I was seriously considering installing windows 7 on it.

Have a rMBP 13" now and it mostly performs fine, but OSX Yosemite just plain stutters on it. And its irritating.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Slow? Made it damn near unusable. I was seriously considering installing windows 7 on it.

Have a rMBP 13" now and it mostly performs fine, but OSX Yosemite just plain stutters on it. And its irritating.

Interesting about Lion. I don't doubt you, but I'm surprised.

Yeah, I have a rMBP 15" now and Yosemite stutters bad, especially with apps with a lot of transparency. It runs much smoother in clamshell mode when hooked up to a 1080p and 1200p monitor than when running with just the native panel.

What's annoying is that even if I run the internal panel with the 750M is still stutters where as running those two externals barely stutter at all even with more pixels to push. Their retina scaling algorithms could use a lot of work.

EDIT: my mistake, the two externals together are still about 800,000 pixels less than the Retina panel, but that still doesn't account for the dramatic performance difference. Their software needs better optimization, but Mavericks suffered from the same problem (but not as bad).

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Interesting about Lion. I don't doubt you, but I'm surprised.

Yeah, I have a rMBP 15" now and Yosemite stutters bad, especially with apps with a lot of transparency. It runs much smoother in clamshell mode when hooked up to a 1080p and 1200p monitor than when running with just the native panel.

What's annoying is that even if I run the internal panel with the 750M is still stutters where as running those two externals barely stutter at all even with more pixels to push. Their retina scaling algorithms could use a lot of work.

EDIT: my mistake, the two externals together are still about 800,000 pixels less than the Retina panel, but that still doesn't account for the dramatic performance difference. Their software needs better optimization, but Mavericks suffered from the same problem (but not as bad).

My infatuation for OSX is nearing its end if Apple keeps this up.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Yosemite is definitely just too heavy. An operating system should never raise such concerns, it should be slim and stable to let users enjoy their applications. The Vista comparison isn’t far-fetched in my opinion, I too remember Vista as a system that brought lots of new eye-candy and redesigned interfaces, but at the cost of performance. The underlying technology improvements, while there, are not things that the end user will get to see or necessarily experience. Apple was always about a good end-user experience and I think that Yosemite’s current state is definitely not the best they could offer.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My infatuation for OSX is nearing its end if Apple keeps this up.

Especially with the competition improving. That makes this "Vista-like" OS X release so bad.

Despite the excessive complaints, Windows 8.1 is actually very good. It's fast and snappy and has yet to crash on me in a VM, though it's UI was annoying for mouse input. Windows 10 fixes this and adds many nice tweaks.

Whats said is that the Windows 10 Preview (or Windows 8.1) often runs better in a VM with 2 cores and only 2GB of RAM than OS X Yosemite does with 4 course and 16GB of RAM!

OS X has just become so weighted down, but it has really good third-party apps that aren't there for Windows.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It totally ruined my early 2011 13" MBP

Yes! Exactly. I got my Early 2011 MBP with Snow Leopard. It was my first ever Mac and it blew me away. I was amazed by what it could do and how well it performed, having used Windows since 1999.

Then when Lion came out it was just bad. Nothing useful added. Clunky social media integration and constant bugs. Mountain Lion was more than welcome and it was basically just a big patch for Lion.

I have used almost every version of OSX now, and I must say that from Panther to Yosemite, Lion is easily my least favorite. I also thought Mavericks was one of the best. These people yearning for Snow Leopard days forget what it was really like. It had 8 major updates for crying out loud, it was far from perfect.

Leopard was a landmark OS alright and Snow Leopard just refined it. Credit is due to Scott Forstall for those excellent bits of work. But the rose tinted glasses of the Snow Leopard 4eva parade is simply uninformed. Use every version of OS X for a week and come back to me with such a statement.

Oh and if you give out that jobs never would have liked these yearly cycles...well you should see that Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar and Panther were all released within a year of each other. Actually, Leopard was only released in 2007 because it was DELAYED due to iPhone development. Snow Leopard likely the same reason with the iPad. That leaves the two year developments the minorities here.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Especially with the competition improving. That makes this "Vista-like" OS X release so bad.

Despite the excessive complaints, Windows 8.1 is actually very good. It's fast and snappy and has yet to crash on me in a VM, though it's UI was annoying for mouse input. Windows 10 fixes this and adds many nice tweaks.

Whats said is that the Windows 10 Preview (or Windows 8.1) often runs better in a VM with 2 cores and only 2GB of RAM than OS X Yosemite does with 4 course and 16GB of RAM!

OS X has just become so weighted down, but it has really good third-party apps that aren't there for Windows.
Yes! I'm planning in installing Windows 10 on an external hard drive to give it a spin. I'm seriously impressed with what Microsoft has done and may definitely consider the XPS13 when it comes time for me to upgrade in a couple of years.

That's why I'm on osx as well, the apps are just amazing. I just hope devs start making apps for Windows 10 thy are beautiful and functional.

----------

Yes! Exactly. I got my Early 2011 MBP with Snow Leopard. It was my first ever Mac and it blew me away. I was amazed by what it could do and how well it performed, having used Windows since 1999.

Then when Lion came out it was just bad. Nothing useful added. Clunky social media integration and constant bugs. Mountain Lion was more than welcome and it was basically just a big patch for Lion.

I have used almost every version of OSX now, and I must say that from Panther to Yosemite, Lion is easily my least favorite. I also thought Mavericks was one of the best. These people yearning for Snow Leopard days forget what it was really like. It had 8 major updates for crying out loud, it was far from perfect.

Leopard was a landmark OS alright and Snow Leopard just refined it. Credit is due to Scott Forstall for those excellent bits of work. But the rose tinted glasses of the Snow Leopard 4eva parade is simply uninformed. Use every version of OS X for a week and come back to me with such a statement.

Oh and if you give out that jobs never would have liked these yearly cycles...well you should see that Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar and Panther were all released within a year of each other. Actually, Leopard was only released in 2007 because it was DELAYED due to iPhone development. Snow Leopard likely the same reason with the iPad. That leaves the two year developments the minorities here.

Snow Leopard is the fastest OS I've ever used. And that was on a bloody spinning hard drive! I can only imagine how good Snow Leopard would be with an SSD...

MacProFreak

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Snow Leopard is the fastest OS I've ever used. And that was on a bloody spinning hard drive! I can only imagine how good Snow Leopard would be with an SSD...

I have Snow Leopard in one of my SSDs inside my Mac Pro six core. Runs like a champ. Too bad it's not supported anymore. But the last REAL OS-X, stable as a rock, serious for professional applications, was Snow Leopard. Everything after that version in my opinion is sub-par. The whole iEverything fever ruined it for me.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Although the SSD in my 2008 MacBook Air isn't the quickest compared to my other SSD Macs, running Snow Leopard on it does help make up for the difference :)

Certainly when it had a 4200 RPM HDD installed, Mavericks and Yosemite were beachballing constantly while Snow Leopard still felt quick.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have Snow Leopard in one of my SSDs inside my Mac Pro six core. Runs like a champ. Too bad it's not supported anymore. But the last REAL OS-X, stable as a rock, serious for professional applications, was Snow Leopard. Everything after that version in my opinion is sub-par. The whole iEverything fever ruined it for me.

I truly hope Apple focuses on performance and stability with 10.11

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I even install Snow Leopard on late-2011 MBP for its snappiness, even though it come preinstalled with Lion.

Yes! I'm planning in installing Windows 10 on an external hard drive to give it a spin. I'm seriously impressed with what Microsoft has done and may definitely consider the XPS13 when it comes time for me to upgrade in a couple of years.

That's why I'm on osx as well, the apps are just amazing. I just hope devs start making apps for Windows 10 thy are beautiful and functional.

----------

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I use both OS X and Windows on occasion but to compare Yosemite to Windows Vista is just crazy talk! I absolutely love yosemite. Vista's UI was a crime against humanity! In my opinion I love the direction Yosemite is taking OS X.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I LOVE how it looks. I love flat, colorful designs. It's just my preference.

Given that, Yosemite feels quite buggy and less smooth.

It's not like it's unusable, but something doesn't feel fluid with yosemite.
What do you guys think?
I certainly say it's the windows 2000 of rotten apple I can't believe I can't enjoy and be productive with my new hard earned MacBook Pro.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
If it is like that in your mind, more power to you. :rolleyes:

I just want to point out that I REALLY HATE users like you in this forum.
You act like I'm dissing your entire life with your passive aggressiveness.

Pls don't post on here unitl your period has left your body. With that eye roll, I hope your eyes roll right to sides and never go back.

I was merely seeking opinions, for people to help give me their views. You on the other hand are as helpless as your eye rolling. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This forum is so toxic, you cannot even say anything constructive because the people will immediately feel like their existence is being attacked. You are almost no different than the hormonal raging teenagers of diablo 3 forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I just want to point out that I REALLY HATE users like you in this forum.
You act like I'm dissing your entire life with your passive aggressiveness.

Pls don't post on here unitl your period has left your body. With that eye roll, I hope your eyes roll right to sides and never go back.

I was merely seeking opinions, for people to help give me their views. You on the other hand are as helpless as your eye rolling. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This forum is so toxic, you cannot even say anything constructive because the people will immediately feel like their existence is being attacked. You are almost no different than the hormonal raging teenagers of diablo 3 forums.
Whoa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.